1. Ireland
    Moves
    15 Jun '03 18:01

During a recent St. Patrick's Day parade an interesting and curious puzzle developed. The Grand Marshall issued the usual notice setting forth that he members of the Honorable and Ancient Order of Hibernians will parade in the afternoon if it rains in the morning, but will parade in the morning if it rains in the afternoon. This gave rise to the popular impression that rain is to be counted as a sure thing on St. Patrick's Day. Casey boasted that he had marched for a quarter of a century in every St. Patrick's Day parade since he had become a boy.
    I will pass over the curious interpretations which may be made of the above remark, and say that old age and pneumonia having overtaken Casey at last, he had marched on with the immortal procession. When the boys met again to do honor to themselves and St. Patrick on the 17th of March, they found that there was a vacancy in their ranks which it was difficult to fill. In fact, it was such an embarrassing vacancy that it broke up the parade and converted it into a panic-stricken funeral procession.

The lads, according to custom, arranged themselves ten abreast, and did march a block or two in that order with but nine men in the last row where Casey used to walk on account of an impediment in his left foot. The music of the Hibernian band was so completely drowned out by spectators shouting to ask what had become of he little fellow with the limp, that it was deemed best to reorganize on the basis of nine men to each row, as eleven would not do.

But again Casey was missed, and the procession halted when it was discovered that the last row came out with but eight men. There was a hurried attempt to form with eight men in each row; again with seven, and then with five, four, three, and even two, but it was found that each and every formation always came out with a vacant space for Casey in the last line. The, although it strikes us as a silly superstition, it became whispered through the lines that every time they started off, Casey's dot and carry one step could be heard. The boys were so firmly convinced that Casey's ghost was marching that no one was bold enough to bring up the rear.

The Grand Marshall, however, was a quick-witted fellow who speedily laid out that ghost by ordering the men to march in single file; so, if Casey did follow in spirit, he brought up the rear of the longest procession that ever did honor to his patron saint.

Assuming that the number of the men in the parade did not exceed 7,000, can you determine just how many men marched in the procession?

2. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    16 Jun '03 00:39
    By looking at the remainders left in each case, I am saying that 5039 is the only answer under 7000 that works. I think there is a larger answer that this margin is to small to contain...

I must commend your admirable puzzle-writing, and the accompanying stories. When do you write these things?
  3. Ireland
    Moves
    16 Jun '03 19:11
    i'd love to say i wrote them, but i found them on a site on the net.

the site gives the answers to the puzzles so i did not include that
  4. Standard memberBarefootChessPlayer
    Barefoot Chessplayer
    central usa
    Moves
    22 Nov '03 03:24
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    By looking at the remainders left in each case, I am saying that 5039 is the only answer under 7000 that works. I think there is a larger answer that this margin is to small to contan...
    i believe that 2519 works also, as 2520 is the least common multiple of the numbers two through ten, and you subtract one to get the result as asked for.
    since no minimum number above this was given, i thus think there are two answers.
    can anyone show why 2519 is not right? is it because if you marched eleven abreast it would come out even (229 rows) with the lower number but with one left over with the higher?
    a very large parade in any event!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree