1. San Francisco
    Moves
    24 Oct '03 18:51
    Hi guys...first time posting here...here goes:

Jack and Jill are professional divers who spend their weekends diving deep in oceans and seas to look for valuable trinkets. Seldom they find unusual items which they then sell to their friend Jack, who runs an antique shop.

One evening Jack and Jill rush into Jack's shop full of euphoria. They tell Jack that they've finally hit the jackpot! During their dive in the morning they have discovered a coin which they feel could be the rarest coin and worth a large fortune. But because they know nothing about getting coins assessed and don't want to deal with the hassles of doing so, they are willing to sell it to Jack (since he's been such a good friend all these years) for just $5,0000.

They then hand over the coin to Jack. The coin is slightly bent and rustically dirty, still with remnants of algae and dirt in spite of being washed. Upon looking closer, Jack sees that the coin is much like the coins we use today. One side has a head of a man wearing a crown. Below his head the word FLAVIUS is inscribed. The other side of the coin has a picture of an elegant Castle with 50B.C. and the word SKOVAN inscribed on the bottom.

The coin looks authentic and Jack feels that $5,000 will be a steal in this case for this rare old coin would be worth millions. So he pays Jack and Jill the $5,000 and takes the coin home to show his wife the investment that will change their lives. His wife looks at the coin and instantly tells him that its a fake!

HOW AND WHY?
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Oct '03 19:271 edit
    Originally posted by kaushpaul
    Hi guys...first time posting here...here goes:

Jack and Jill are professional divers who spend their weekends diving deep in oceans and seas to look for valuable trinkets. Seldom they find unusual items which they then sell to their f ...[text shortened]... the coin and instantly tells him that its a fake!

HOW AND WHY?
    50 B.C.

Similar to the WW1 riffle ridle that says WW1 right on it.... it wasn't WW1 until the 40's...

It was not BC until after about the 400's.... I think.

P
  3. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Oct '03 00:531 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    50 B.C.

Similar to the WW1 riffle ridle that says WW1 right on it.... it wasn't WW1 until the 40's...

It was not BC until after about the 400's.... I think.

P
    Close Phla but no cigar today.

The wife knew it was a fake because how could the coin maker possibly know that Christ would arrive in 50 years time - 😏

skeeter
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    25 Oct '03 15:011 edit
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Close Phla but no cigar today.

The wife knew it was a fake because how could the coin maker possibly know that Christ would arrive in 50 years time - 😏

skeeter
    Well, while you wonder how this guy who made the coin could know Christ would be born in 50 years... I am wondering how he knew that as well as that would be the new 0 point for the new Christian Calander...

Both are right. Takes back cigar and lights it....

P
  5. San Francisco
    Moves
    27 Oct '03 05:44
    Skeeter's answer is what i had in mind...don't quite follow your reasoning Phlabbit but i'm sure its correct since you got the main gist of the answer correct...
  6. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    27 Oct '03 21:10
    Originally posted by kaushpaul
    Skeeter's answer is what i had in mind...don't quite follow your reasoning Phlabbit but i'm sure its correct since you got the main gist of the answer correct...
    Phlabbit's reasoning is actually something i hadn't thought of. It's very true, and the idea is the same. The makers of the coin couldn't possibly know that they should put that on it...
  7. Standard memberFiathahel
    Artist in Drawing
    in your fridge
    Moves
    28 Oct '03 07:54
    There answers are both the same. At 50 BC they didn't know that that year would be called 50 BC now. But the reasoning of phla also is true if the coin was dated 200 AD.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree