1. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    24 Jun '06 02:18
    I think whatever is supposed to be one word.
  2. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 00:09
    im going to end this. the question is not "wrong" in the sense that it has an error. the error being the statistic. the beginning of the puzzle says find the error. you guys are just looking at it the wrong way. the error is in the question, not the whole question itself. because your right a question cant be wrong, but a statistic in a question can be wrong. because that part of the question alone is asserting thats 80% of stanford students go the question wrong. so there you go. you can all sleep now. good post chesskid1.
  3. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 00:19
    Originally posted by Forever Greatful
    im going to end this. the question is not "wrong" in the sense that it has an error. the error being the statistic. the beginning of the puzzle says find the error. you guys are just looking at it the wrong way. the error is in the question, not the whole question itself. because your right a question cant be wrong, but a statistic in a question can ...[text shortened]... d students go the question wrong. so there you go. you can all sleep now. good post chesskid1.
    It doesn't assert anything. It asks if you know the statistic. If the statistic is incorrect then the likely answer would be: "No, I thought that the statistic was x%" (where x is a positive real number contained in the set 0 to 100).

No 'part' of a question can be wrong. If someone says, "5 people who own an animal (each differnt) are standing in a row. The first owns a dog, the second a cat, the third a rat, the fourth owns a horse. Who owns a fish?"

Many people say the fifth person, but that is not necessarily true. Maybe nobody owns a fish. Maybe the fifth owns a giraffe? At any rate, the question itself is not in error, even though there is no practical answer. Therefore the puzzle in this thread has major problems.

By the way Thread 46025, in which ChessKid1 himself presents the same dilemma.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree