Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 31 May '07 15:41 / 1 edit
    Enforce happiness in 6!
  2. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    31 May '07 15:54
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    Enforce happiness in 6!
    [fen]8/1p6/PR6/5kpB/4p1N1/1P2RP2/Q2PP3/2K5 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    1.Rf6#

    Woohoo. I beat the stipulation by 5 moves.
  3. 31 May '07 15:55
    stipulation was to enforce happiness. A checkmate like that pleases nobody
  4. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    31 May '07 17:09
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    stipulation was to enforce happiness. A checkmate like that pleases nobody
    I don't know about that...I thought it was kinda hot.
  5. 31 May '07 17:10
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    1.Rf6#

    Woohoo. I beat the stipulation by 5 moves.
    lol SwissGambit must you be so blunt?
  6. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    31 May '07 17:11
    Originally posted by artplayer
    lol SwissGambit must you be so blunt?
    I wouldn't call it "blunt" - I would call it "enthusiastic about a shorter path to happiness."
  7. 31 May '07 17:13
    I'm not pleased. You've not enforced happiness on me. And if you search yourself, I'm sure you'll agree that the mate in one is shallow and uninspiring. It depresses rather than enforces happiness.
  8. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    31 May '07 17:19
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    I'm not pleased. You've not enforced happiness on me. And if you search yourself, I'm sure you'll agree that the mate in one is shallow and uninspiring. It depresses rather than enforces happiness.
    My goal was my happiness. The enforcement part is getting rid of irrelevant concerns, like the happiness of others.

    Plus, I still think that N/R checkmate is kinda hot.
  9. 31 May '07 17:20
    It's rubbish, it's crowded and seedy and you've willingly become happy, enforcement played no part in your answer.
  10. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    31 May '07 17:43
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    It's rubbish, it's crowded and seedy and you've willingly become happy, enforcement played no part in your answer.
    What is enforcement, if not an act of will?
  11. 31 May '07 18:02
    Let's not get too philosophical here and accept that the checkmate isn't the answer.
  12. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    31 May '07 19:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    Let's not get too philosophical here and accept that the checkmate isn't the answer.
    Aha. I think I know what you want now.
  13. 31 May '07 19:13
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    Let's not get too philosophical here and accept that the checkmate isn't the answer.
    I can do it in 6, assuming black doesn't know about minor promotions, which seems likely given the current position.
  14. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    31 May '07 21:47
    After spending a good chunk of time on this, I got frustrated and fed the problem to an engine. With a stipulation of Selfmate in 6, there's no solution. Please check the diagram + stip.
  15. 01 Jun '07 07:19
    It's not a selfmate either. That would leave the opponent perplexed, not happy