Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    26 Feb '07 15:30
    Here's a good one that was published in Parade magazine over the weekend. If you've already seen it, please withhold the solution for a few days to give others a chance.

    A man and a woman are forced to share a table in a coffeehouse. They are dressed alike and take an instant dislike to each other. The one with brown eyes says, "I'm a man." The one with blue eyes says, "I'm a woman." At least one of them is lying. Who's who?
  2. 26 Feb '07 15:38
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Here's a good one that was published in Parade magazine over the weekend. If you've already seen it, please withhold the solution for a few days to give others a chance.

    A man and a woman are forced to share a table in a coffeehouse. They are dressed alike and take an instant dislike to each other. The one with brown eyes says, "I'm a man." The one with blue eyes says, "I'm a woman." At least one of them is lying. Who's who?
    thats really easy

    both of them are lying so the person saying he is a man is a women and the person saying she is a woman is a man because if one is lying, let's say the person saying he is man, he would be a real woman so the other person has to be lying too.
    Right??
  3. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    26 Feb '07 16:07 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by chessmasterBG
    thats really easy

    both of them are lying so the person saying he is a man is a women and the person saying she is a woman is a man because if one is lying, let's say the person saying he is man, he would be a real woman so the other person has to be lying too.
    Right??
    I'm betting the blue-eyed one was boy george and so he was the one who lied.
    Now seriously: does the dressing alike and, the who talked first provide some clue to the solution? If so i think I know the answer, if not i won't embarass myself...
  4. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    26 Feb '07 17:38
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    I'm betting the blue-eyed one was boy george and so he was the one who lied.
    Now seriously: does the dressing alike and, the who talked first provide some clue to the solution? If so i think I know the answer, if not i won't embarass myself...
    They are dressed alike so that your decision is not influenced by their clothing. It doesn't matter which of them speaks first.
  5. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    26 Feb '07 17:40
    Originally posted by chessmasterBG
    thats really easy

    both of them are lying so the person saying he is a man is a women and the person saying she is a woman is a man because if one is lying, let's say the person saying he is man, he would be a real woman so the other person has to be lying too.
    Right??
    Stand by until adam warlock submits an answer.
  6. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    26 Feb '07 18:45
    Originally posted by chessmasterBG
    thats really easy

    both of them are lying so the person saying he is a man is a women and the person saying she is a woman is a man because if one is lying, let's say the person saying he is man, he would be a real woman so the other person has to be lying too.
    Right??
    Close enough. The man has blue eyes and the woman has brown eyes. Both are lying, as you deduced. If only one were lying, then they would both be men or both be women. Nice work.
  7. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    27 Feb '07 00:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Close enough. The man has blue eyes and the woman has brown eyes. Both are lying, as you deduced. If only one were lying, then they would both be men or both be women. Nice work.
    Sorry i had to go to work so i didn't see your answer to me.
    Anyway congrats cmBG.
  8. 27 Feb '07 23:07
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Sorry i had to go to work so i didn't see your answer to me.
    Anyway congrats cmBG.