Why are machine guns rifled?

Why are machine guns rifled?

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 Apr 07

They are for suppressive fire more than anything else, and the rifling makes the barrels heat up to the point where they must be changed. How come machine guns aren't smoothbore?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
28 Apr 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
They are for suppressive fire more than anything else, and the rifling makes the barrels heat up to the point where they must be changed. How come machine guns aren't smoothbore?
Probably because of the friendly fire risk, when you have a platoon advancing you don't want bullets going in random directions.

i

Moves
30 Apr 07

youre talking nonsense, a machine gun is not restricted on barrel type. is is interchangable for both types but a smooth bore is more accurate and faster when shooting 325-1000 rpm. trust me i know guns

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
30 Jun 07

How can a smoth bore be more accurate? Isnt that the point of rifling?

btw Don't trust me: I know nothing about guns.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
01 Jul 07

Originally posted by wolfgang59
How can a smoth bore be more accurate? Isnt that the point of rifling?

btw Don't trust me: I know nothing about guns.
The smoothbore wouldn't be more accurate, but machine guns don't need accuracy as much as other guns. However they often do have problems with barrels heating up, which would be caused in part by rifled barrels.

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
02 Jul 07

When you say " machine gun" you are refering to a Belt Fed Full aotomatic are you not?; because that is what a machine gun is. An AK-47 or M-16 is called a select fire sub cal. assult rifle. It can shoot full auto or semi auto ( one bullet per trigger pull ). Rifling is used in both because it makes it more accurate with higher velocity at a longer range. Rifling also determines the angle of yaw when the bullet hits soft tissue. Machine guns are not always used as spray and pray weapons. They were also used as sniper weapons with good accuracy: however no where near as accurate as a bold action.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
03 Jul 07

Originally posted by smw6869
When you say " machine gun" you are refering to a Belt Fed Full aotomatic are you not?; because that is what a machine gun is. An AK-47 or M-16 is called a select fire sub cal. assult rifle. It can shoot full auto or semi auto ( one bullet per trigger pull ). Rifling is used in both because it makes it more accurate with higher velocity at a longer range. Ri ...[text shortened]... used as sniper weapons with good accuracy: however no where near as accurate as a bold action.
By machine gun I do mean a belt fed weapon and not an assault rifle. I differentiate between the two.

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
03 Jul 07

By machine gun I do mean a belt fed weapon and not an assault rifle. I differentiate between the two.
I believe that machine guns do need to be accurate and therefore rifled or the military would not make them so, I don't know of any smooth bore machine guns, if so wouldn't they be called musket machine guns? Maybe rifling on machine guns are just a happy medium between spray & pray and longer range accuracy? I don't know. Maybe the gun expert would know. I don't know if airplane 20mm or 37mm cannon guns are smooth bore either.