U should learn your grammar!
    The word is a "monster"!
  2. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    18 May '04 22:42
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Yes I am a heinous grammar fiend, as well as a member of the (defunct, alas, yet poised to rise Pheonix-like) Militant Grammarians of Massachusetts (local chapter). You will know us by the markings of our pens (red, stringent).
    A true grammar fiend would have spel(led/t) 'Phoenix' properly πŸ˜›.

Where do I join?
  3. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    18 May '04 23:53
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    A true grammar fiend would have spel(led/t) 'Phoenix' properly πŸ˜›.

Where do I join?
    Concern with spelling is so pedestrian... πŸ˜›

I'll send you details.
  4. 42.4ΒΊ N / -71.2ΒΊ W
    Moves
    19 May '04 00:05
    Google for the phrase ''Eats shoots and leaves''. Then do the little quiz. I bet you're 100% stickler, you heinous grammar fiend. (I'm proud to say I'm only 92% stickler.)
    I'm 92% stickler. I'm going to stickle even more by saying that the one I got wrong, I actually got right!

Where does the comma go in "Of course there weren't enough tickets to go round"?

I said no comma, the game said there should have been one after 'Of course'. Now, there are two ways to interpret the sentence. It can either be a forceful statement - "OF COURSE there weren't enough tickets to go round" - or, it can be a negation - "John tried to get some tickets. Of course, there weren't enough to go round".

I think these two interpretations are both reasonable, damn game.

OK... yes, I know, I'm a complete anal grammar stickler from hell, and I acknowledge that someone may well prove me wrong later in this thread, making my sticklerness even worse because it's wrong!

joe
  5. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    19 May '04 20:52
    Originally posted by kyngj
    I'm 92% stickler. I'm going to stickle even more by saying that the one I got wrong, I actually got right!

Where does the comma go in "Of course there weren't enough tickets to go round"?

I said no comma, the game said there should have been one after 'Of course'. Now, there are two ways to interpret the sentence. It can either be a forceful state ...[text shortened]... ove me wrong later in this thread, making my sticklerness even worse because it's wrong!

joe
    I wondered about that one too. I could only think that perhaps the forceful statement without the comma doesn't exist as a proper sentence by itself (ie it would have to part of a sentence). Am not certain, mind.
  6. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    19 May '04 21:21
    I've, also, noticed that, you silly, English, bedwetting, types, use far fewer, commas than, we do in the, States.
  7. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    19 May '04 23:423 edits
    I'm afraid you asked what is in the middle of ''a monster'' so the answer is clearly ''n'' πŸ˜›.
    Nah, he asked what's in the middle of " a monster. It's not what you think... πŸ™‚So watch out!", so the answer is clearly " you" - assuming the smiley is 2 characters
  8. Joined
    04 May '04
    Moves
    20 May '04 10:24
    Fill in the blanks in the sentences below so as to make it correct. You must use words for numbers and not numerals(e.g. use 'one' for
    1 , 'two' for 2 etc.)
    (a) "The sentence you are reading has ....... a's, ......e's, ..... i's,
    .......o's and ......u's."
    (b) "This sentence has .....a's, ....e's, ....i's, ......o's and ....u's."
    When you really fet down to solve it surprisizingly you will find that between (a) and (b) only one is solvable; the other is not. Which one is it? Why is the other one not solvable?. 😲

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree