Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Subscriber invigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    25 Jan '09 22:03
    OK so it is getting interesting now.

    I think that Federer is still the man to beat.

    I love watching Nadal, but I think he will struggle against the winner of Simon/Fils.

    Murray/Tsonga could be pretty tasty too.
  2. 25 Jan '09 22:19
    i expect the top 4 to be in the semis, it's a shame murray and nadal have to play each other in the semis because i think it would have made a great final but no doubt that will be the match of the tournament.

    the womans is a lot more open.
  3. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    26 Jan '09 00:18
    Originally posted by trev33
    i expect the top 4 to be in the semis, it's a shame murray and nadal have to play each other in the semis because i think it would have made a great final but no doubt that will be the match of the tournament.

    the womans is a lot more open.
    Serena will win the women's. I look for Federer to make the final against the Murray-Nadal winner. I will root for Fed, but no guarantees there.
  4. 26 Jan '09 09:39
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Serena will win the women's. I look for Federer to make the final against the Murray-Nadal winner. I will root for Fed, but no guarantees there.
    watched the last set of the murray match.....verdasco played really well.

    think nadal will win it now.

    would love to see Suarez-Navarro win the women's but can't see it.
  5. 26 Jan '09 10:39
    Federer looks the most at risk in the QF, should all of last year's semifinalists make it through to the Quarters...

    It's difficult liking all the top players in tennis though. The only one I want to see lose is Djokovic....Federer, Nadal, Tsonga...I'd be happy with any of them winning.

    Agreed on Suarez-Navarro...but I can't say Serena winning it again is a bad thing. Not keen on Dementieva.
  6. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    26 Jan '09 16:13
    Men's draw could be a Federer vs Nadal final now that Murray is out.
  7. 27 Jan '09 10:21
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Men's draw could be a Federer vs Nadal final now that Murray is out.
    With the retirement of Novak Djokovic , that looks more and more a possibility. (Prefer Tsonga - Federer though)
  8. 28 Jan '09 18:23
    nadal and verdasco whould be a good semi. their both lefty's from spain and can both play really well. but i think nadal will prevail. i think roddick could upset fedderer. roddick is looking really fit and willing to play long points. roddick didn't even get tired in the djokovic match and djokovic was just gased (even though they both worked equally hard.
  9. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    28 Jan '09 18:40
    Originally posted by Arrak
    nadal and verdasco whould be a good semi. their both lefty's from spain and can both play really well. but i think nadal will prevail. i think roddick could upset fedderer. roddick is looking really fit and willing to play long points. roddick didn't even get tired in the djokovic match and djokovic was just gased (even though they both worked equally hard.
    I would love to see Roddick finally break through, but I am not sure this will be the venue for it. Federer seems to be maintaining his focus. Nadal looks strong as usual. Should be interesting.
  10. 28 Jan '09 19:40 / 1 edit
    Is this the year Federer becomes beatable by someone not named Nadal and-or the mono virus? -- or is this the year Federer finally takes care of some unfinished business and wins the Grand Slam?

    It would be great to see Roddick finally break through -- but Wimbledon showed just how much fun a Federer-Nadal final can be -- this could end up becoming one of the the all-time best rivalries

    Roddick-Nadal wouldn't be quite the same -- unless -- Roddick could somehow complete the impossible hat trick of Djokovic-Federer-Nadal??

    Just hope Roddick doesn't bring his "Mojo"
  11. 28 Jan '09 19:56
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    I would love to see Roddick finally break through, but I am not sure this will be the venue for it. Federer seems to be maintaining his focus. Nadal looks strong as usual. Should be interesting.
    what do you mean by 'break through'?

    i'd be pretty pissed if i was a former world no. 1 and ex grand slam winner and people were talking about me breaking through. not to mention 3 other slam finals and a davis cup win.

    roddick peaked when he was younger but even with his dip in title winning form he remains in the world top 10, has been for years now.

    he just isn't as good as the fed express only samprass and possibly nadal can say that. however nadal has a bit to go yet.
  12. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    28 Jan '09 21:15
    Originally posted by trev33
    what do you mean by 'break through'?

    i'd be pretty pissed if i was a former world no. 1 and ex grand slam winner and people were talking about me breaking through. not to mention 3 other slam finals and a davis cup win.

    roddick peaked when he was younger but even with his dip in title winning form he remains in the world top 10, has been for years now ...[text shortened]... ed express only samprass and possibly nadal can say that. however nadal has a bit to go yet.
    By break through, I was referring to becoming a dominant force that consistently wins or makes finals just like Federer and Nadal. Roddick was only at the top for a short while and he disappeared while Federer beat him consistently. I thought Jimmy Connors would turn things around for him, and it looked like it was going to happen. Then Connors is out and now he is trying another pass. No o0ne has ever really thought of Andy Roddick as the best in the world, rankings aside. Now you have several newcomers such as Andy Murray, making great strides and Roddick is fighting to keep up with them.
  13. 28 Jan '09 21:32
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    By break through, I was referring to becoming a dominant force that consistently wins or makes finals just like Federer and Nadal. Roddick was only at the top for a short while and he disappeared while Federer beat him consistently. I thought Jimmy Connors would turn things around for him, and it looked like it was going to happen. Then Connors is out a ...[text shortened]... ewcomers such as Andy Murray, making great strides and Roddick is fighting to keep up with them.
    roddick should be happy with what he's done in tennis. he wasn't the best player of his time not even close but yet he got to no. 1 if only for a short time he was the worlds best player. not many people can say that.

    if federer wasn't around he would've won more and been their longer but it's hard to compete with the best player to ever pick up a tennis racket.

    i'm sure he will look back and be disappointed he never won wimbledon but like i said he came up against the best.

    he's never been past the third round in the french that just shows how much he relies on his serve.

    i played a couple of sets on clay for the first time while i was away and the ball just dies, no matter how hard you hit it. i don't know how nadal plays so well on that surface.
  14. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    28 Jan '09 22:31
    Originally posted by trev33
    roddick should be happy with what he's done in tennis. he wasn't the best player of his time not even close but yet he got to no. 1 if only for a short time he was the worlds best player. not many people can say that.

    if federer wasn't around he would've won more and been their longer but it's hard to compete with the best player to ever pick up a tennis ...[text shortened]... es, no matter how hard you hit it. i don't know how nadal plays so well on that surface.
    While Federer is a great player, I am not ready to say he was the greatest, Pete Sampras would get a lot of consideration as would Bjorn Borg and Rod Laver. Each one was dominant in their respective era and each had at least one chief rival. Sampras had Agassi. Borg had Connors and McEnroe. Laver had Newcombe and Rosewall.

    For me, it would come down to Sampras with Fed a close second.
  15. 29 Jan '09 01:39
    Originally posted by trev33
    roddick should be happy with what he's done in tennis. he wasn't the best player of his time not even close but yet he got to no. 1 if only for a short time he was the worlds best player. not many people can say that.

    if federer wasn't around he would've won more and been their longer but it's hard to compete with the best player to ever pick up a tennis ...[text shortened]... es, no matter how hard you hit it. i don't know how nadal plays so well on that surface.
    sure roddick hasn't done well at the french. but i think he will this year! his lost 17lbs and is looking super fit. his willing to play long grinding points. thats the type of game that wins on clay. look out for roddick this year. maybe the best server in the game, even if his motion isn't classical.