1. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 22:03
    OK so it is getting interesting now.

I think that Federer is still the man to beat.

I love watching Nadal, but I think he will struggle against the winner of Simon/Fils.

Murray/Tsonga could be pretty tasty too.
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 22:19
    i expect the top 4 to be in the semis, it's a shame murray and nadal have to play each other in the semis because i think it would have made a great final but no doubt that will be the match of the tournament.

the womans is a lot more open.
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 00:18
    Originally posted by trev33
    i expect the top 4 to be in the semis, it's a shame murray and nadal have to play each other in the semis because i think it would have made a great final but no doubt that will be the match of the tournament.

the womans is a lot more open.
    Serena will win the women's. I look for Federer to make the final against the Murray-Nadal winner. I will root for Fed, but no guarantees there.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 09:39
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Serena will win the women's. I look for Federer to make the final against the Murray-Nadal winner. I will root for Fed, but no guarantees there.
    watched the last set of the murray match.....verdasco played really well.

think nadal will win it now.

would love to see Suarez-Navarro win the women's but can't see it.
  5. Standard memberBobson 94
    Fleeting Member
    Lisburn, UK
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 10:39
    Federer looks the most at risk in the QF, should all of last year's semifinalists make it through to the Quarters...

It's difficult liking all the top players in tennis though. The only one I want to see lose is Djokovic....Federer, Nadal, Tsonga...I'd be happy with any of them winning.

Agreed on Suarez-Navarro...but I can't say Serena winning it again is a bad thing. Not keen on Dementieva.
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 16:13
    Men's draw could be a Federer vs Nadal final now that Murray is out.
  7. Standard memberBobson 94
    Fleeting Member
    Lisburn, UK
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 10:21
    Men's draw could be a Federer vs Nadal final now that Murray is out.
    With the retirement of Novak Djokovic 😀, that looks more and more a possibility. (Prefer Tsonga - Federer though)
  8. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 18:23
    nadal and verdasco whould be a good semi. their both lefty's from spain and can both play really well. but i think nadal will prevail. i think roddick could upset fedderer. roddick is looking really fit and willing to play long points. roddick didn't even get tired in the djokovic match and djokovic was just gased (even though they both worked equally hard.
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 18:40
    Originally posted by Arrak
    nadal and verdasco whould be a good semi. their both lefty's from spain and can both play really well. but i think nadal will prevail. i think roddick could upset fedderer. roddick is looking really fit and willing to play long points. roddick didn't even get tired in the djokovic match and djokovic was just gased (even though they both worked equally hard.
    I would love to see Roddick finally break through, but I am not sure this will be the venue for it. Federer seems to be maintaining his focus. Nadal looks strong as usual. Should be interesting.
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 19:401 edit
    Is this the year Federer becomes beatable by someone not named Nadal and-or the mono virus? -- or is this the year Federer finally takes care of some unfinished business and wins the Grand Slam?

It would be great to see Roddick finally break through -- but Wimbledon showed just how much fun a Federer-Nadal final can be -- this could end up becoming one of the the all-time best rivalries

Roddick-Nadal wouldn't be quite the same -- unless -- Roddick could somehow complete the impossible hat trick of Djokovic-Federer-Nadal??

Just hope Roddick doesn't bring his "Mojo"😀
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 19:56
    I would love to see Roddick finally break through, but I am not sure this will be the venue for it. Federer seems to be maintaining his focus. Nadal looks strong as usual. Should be interesting.
    what do you mean by 'break through'?

i'd be pretty pissed if i was a former world no. 1 and ex grand slam winner and people were talking about me breaking through. not to mention 3 other slam finals and a davis cup win.

roddick peaked when he was younger but even with his dip in title winning form he remains in the world top 10, has been for years now.

he just isn't as good as the fed express only samprass and possibly nadal can say that. however nadal has a bit to go yet.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 21:15
    what do you mean by 'break through'?

i'd be pretty pissed if i was a former world no. 1 and ex grand slam winner and people were talking about me breaking through. not to mention 3 other slam finals and a davis cup win.

roddick peaked when he was younger but even with his dip in title winning form he remains in the world top 10, has been for years now ...[text shortened]... ed express only samprass and possibly nadal can say that. however nadal has a bit to go yet.
    By break through, I was referring to becoming a dominant force that consistently wins or makes finals just like Federer and Nadal. Roddick was only at the top for a short while and he disappeared while Federer beat him consistently. I thought Jimmy Connors would turn things around for him, and it looked like it was going to happen. Then Connors is out and now he is trying another pass. No o0ne has ever really thought of Andy Roddick as the best in the world, rankings aside. Now you have several newcomers such as Andy Murray, making great strides and Roddick is fighting to keep up with them.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 21:32
    By break through, I was referring to becoming a dominant force that consistently wins or makes finals just like Federer and Nadal. Roddick was only at the top for a short while and he disappeared while Federer beat him consistently. I thought Jimmy Connors would turn things around for him, and it looked like it was going to happen. Then Connors is out a ...[text shortened]... ewcomers such as Andy Murray, making great strides and Roddick is fighting to keep up with them.
    roddick should be happy with what he's done in tennis. he wasn't the best player of his time not even close but yet he got to no. 1 if only for a short time he was the worlds best player. not many people can say that.

if federer wasn't around he would've won more and been their longer but it's hard to compete with the best player to ever pick up a tennis racket.

i'm sure he will look back and be disappointed he never won wimbledon but like i said he came up against the best.

he's never been past the third round in the french that just shows how much he relies on his serve.

i played a couple of sets on clay for the first time while i was away and the ball just dies, no matter how hard you hit it. i don't know how nadal plays so well on that surface.
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 22:31
    roddick should be happy with what he's done in tennis. he wasn't the best player of his time not even close but yet he got to no. 1 if only for a short time he was the worlds best player. not many people can say that.

if federer wasn't around he would've won more and been their longer but it's hard to compete with the best player to ever pick up a tennis ...[text shortened]... es, no matter how hard you hit it. i don't know how nadal plays so well on that surface.
    While Federer is a great player, I am not ready to say he was the greatest, Pete Sampras would get a lot of consideration as would Bjorn Borg and Rod Laver. Each one was dominant in their respective era and each had at least one chief rival. Sampras had Agassi. Borg had Connors and McEnroe. Laver had Newcombe and Rosewall.

For me, it would come down to Sampras with Fed a close second.
  15. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 01:39

if federer wasn't around he would've won more and been their longer but it's hard to compete with the best player to ever pick up a tennis ...[text shortened]... es, no matter how hard you hit it. i don't know how nadal plays so well on that surface.
    sure roddick hasn't done well at the french. but i think he will this year! his lost 17lbs and is looking super fit. his willing to play long grinding points. thats the type of game that wins on clay. look out for roddick this year. maybe the best server in the game, even if his motion isn't classical.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree