1. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 22:01
    Pre season has started Ya'll.

Raiders are are still in Oakland I think...I can't keep up. Anyway 9:00 Pm central time Thursday August 13th. Be there or be Square. Dallas will win of course. Or they would if the game actually mattered.

Now that Terrell Owens is gone Tony Homo is actually going to learn to control the ball...right? And if not someone will break his leg during practice, I'd bet on it. Enough is enough. Whoever invented the game of Football was brilliant.

Soccer sux's.
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 21:332 edits
    Pre-season games are boring. The only drama is whether or not an important player gets injured in one these things and is out for the season.

Seems like the college teams manage well enough without having to play a bunch of games that don't count. Why not add two or more games to the NFL season and just eliminate the pre-season?
  3. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 09:04
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Pre-season games are boring. The only drama is whether or not an important player gets injured in one these things and is out for the season.

Seems like the college teams manage well enough without having to play a bunch of games that don't count. Why not add two or more games to the NFL season and just eliminate the pre-season?
    Because it's an opportunity for the fans to see the Rookies. And for the guys that have gone through training camp to get their chance to make it into the NFL. Some guys might not do so well in camp situations but are studs on the field. Or the other way around. They do good in camp but when the whistle blows they can't function. This is something that they have worked for their entire lives and their one shot. They were all the big man on campus in their schools and towns, many people are hoping they make it.

Sure it's not as good as a real game, but you are watching it for the wrong reasons. I watch it so I can say man was that potential future hall of fame guy really that bad/good in his first NFL pre season game? I remember when...the guy couldn't tie his shoes or a star was born on that day.

I also watch it to see if I agree that someone should get cut from the team. Or why they get cut. I've seen guys get cut from one team and make a great player on another team. To me there is nothing boring about it, if you are a real fan of the game.

Injuries...it's a violent game of course there is going to be injuries. But then again, how a player deals with them is part of the evaluation process.

College teams don't play pre-season games because they are in school. If not for that they probably would. They do more that play football, in college. They actually have to study for their degrees.

Some day they might add more games and less pre-season, but if you were an owner of a club paying your star Quarterback millions of dollars a year to be protected by a young Rookie Offensive lineman, you might want to see if he can stand up against the best of the best, in full contact against someone that will knock your head off instead of the love taps they normally get in camp before you get in a real game.

To me it all makes sense. I would watch it every day including practice if I could.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 12:48
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    Because it's an opportunity for the fans to see the Rookies. And for the guys that have gone through training camp to get their chance to make it into the NFL. Some guys might not do so well in camp situations but are studs on the field. Or the other way around. They do good in camp but when the whistle blows they can't function. This is something that ...[text shortened]... .

To me it all makes sense. I would watch it every day including practice if I could.
    I can understand why some people like these games. I just do not. Too many good baseball games to watch at this time of the year. If it's a really slow night and nothing else is on, I might turn on a pre-season game.

If I was evaluating players, pre-season games can be very misleading.

Suppose you see someone making some impressive plays. He's either doing this against first-stringers who are not playing nearly as hard as they would in a game that counts -- or he's doing this against the other team's scrubs. Hard to say if these performances tell the coach much more than a scrimmage during practice.

I agree that it can be fun for fans speculating over whether that flashy player picked in the umpteenth round will continue to play well against real competition, or whether the hot shot first round pick with butterfingers is going to be a bust or maybe he's just nervous or stuck taking lousy throws from the 4th string QB

It can also be fun watching a bunch of guys all doing their best to get the coach to notice them. You sometimes end up with what appears to be a whole team made up of Ocho-cinco. And there's always the chance for a keystone cops moment when you have all the scrubs playing in final parts of the game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree