1. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 03:05
    The USA should dominate, but if they do have a problem it is their lack of players in the Center and Power Forward positions. Team USA just has Dwight Howard, Tyson Chandler, and Amare Stoudemire to fill those slots and they are going to have to battle foul trouble and fatigue from playing four games in five days.

Anyways, I have USA facing off against Argentina in the finals.

Predicted Starters: J Kidd, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Melo, Amare Stoudemire.

Bench: Defense - Tayshaun Prince, Tyson Chandler. Shooter - Mike Miller, Michael Redd. PG - Chaucey Billups (Combo Guard), Deron Williams. Power/Center - Dwight Howard.
  2. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 03:18
    After four days of play, the USA is tied for first in Group B with Brazil. The team chemistry is really starting to click; the shooters (Miller and Redd) are really lighting up the nets from the perimeter, and all three point guards are tearing opposing defenses to pieces.

The USA gets its ultimate test tomorrow vs. undefeated Brazil who survived a thriller today vs. the US Virgin Islands. Brazil has some considerable talent in Center/Forward Nene, Combo Guard Barbosa, and Shooting Guard Machado (who has been lighting up the nets as well). The other role players (F/C Splitter, PG Silva) are pretty decent too. In order to win the game, the USA is going to have to harass Machado and make sure doesn't get any good looks. Also, the USA is going to have to limit turnovers, which so far hasn't been a problem, because Leandro has been excelling in transition, where he has gotten most of his points. I think the whole Nene situation will work itself out since he is going to be battling Howard, Amare, and Chandler among others.

Check the game out tomorrow at 6 pm. PT on ESPN2!
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 13:01
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    After four days of play, the USA is tied for first in Group B with Brazil. The team chemistry is really starting to click; the shooters (Miller and Redd) are really lighting up the nets from the perimeter, and all three point guards are tearing opposing defenses to pieces.

The USA gets its ultimate test tomorrow vs. undefeated Brazil who survived a ...[text shortened]... Howard, Amare, and Chandler among others.

So that's on August 27th at 6pm Pacific / 9pm Eastern?

I saw a little of one game, and the US finally looked good again. It's been a while, I think they are learning to play basketball again and not foul out all day.

It's a different sport than NBA, or has the international game become more physical?

P-
  4. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 19:23
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    So that's on August 27th at 6pm Pacific / 9pm Eastern?

I saw a little of one game, and the US finally looked good again. It's been a while, I think they are learning to play basketball again and not foul out all day.

It's a different sport than NBA, or has the international game become more physical?

P-
    Pacific Time.

And International play is definitely different from the NBA. The officials use a different methodology to call fouls, players only get 5 fouls, players can touch the ball as soon as it touches the rim, the three point line is closer to the basket, the restricted area is bigger at the baseline, and only the coach can call timeouts. On whether the game is more physical, I don't know. I haven't seen that many non-USA games, but I think that it all depends on the playing style of the various teams.
  5. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 04:00
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike

The USA gets its ultimate test tomorrow vs. undefeated Brazil who survived a ...[text shortened]... Howard, Amare, and Chandler among others.

USA blew out Brasil.

They were leading 96-49 near the end of the 3rd quarter.
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 14:47
    Canada is missing Steve Nash, Maglore, and Rautins.

We coulda been a contender...
  7. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 18:36
    Originally posted by uzless
    Canada is missing Steve Nash, Maglore, and Rautins.

We coulda been a contender...
    Its a shame, Nash is one of the best players in the world, perhaps the best point guard. Canada would of been better off with him. Does anyone know exactly why he chose not to play for Team Canada?
  8. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 19:53
    Team USA routed Brazil on Sunday and successfully swept Group B while remaining undefeated in tournament play along with Argentina's B-Team who swept Group A. Now USA faces a much more challenging quarterfinal round where it will play Group A's Mexico, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, and Argentina respectively.

Mexico: Where they lack in talent they make up for in grit. Mexico plays Nolan Richardson's patented "40 minutes of hell" system where they apply full court pressure all game to cause turnovers. Mexico does have one standout talent in Romel Beck Castro, a 6-7 UNLV alumni Guard/Forward who has been averaging 22.8 ppg on shooting 62% from the field, 35% from beyond the arc.

Puerto Rico: Considered one of the biggest underachievers of this year's tournament with a 1-3 record, Puerto Rico hopes to restart on a new slate in quarterfinal action with its strong guard play from Carlos Arroyo, Elias Ayuso, and Fili Riveria.

Uruguay: A favorite to move on to the semifinals, Uruguay boasts one of the tournament's best non-American centers in Esteban Batista who has been averaging a solid 23 ppg with 14.5 rpg. He has just been dominating the boards in Group A play, it will be interesting to see how he matches up against Dwight Howard, Amare Stoudemire, and Chandler. Another Uruguayan standout is 6'0" guard Nicolas Mazzarino who has shot an outstanding 46.9% from behind the arc.

Argentina: Last but not least is the only other undefeated team in the tournament, Argentina's B-Team. Their performance so far just goes to show you how much talent Argentina has in basketball. Unlike other teams in this tournament who just have 1 or 2 stars, Argentina's starting five are all solid players. They are led by Carlos Delfino, the 6'7" guard who has been productive in all categories (points, rebounds, assists, steals). Next is Center/Forward Luis Scola who is close to averaging a double-double. Finally, my personal favorite, the clutch 6th man Paolo Quinteros (he is the dude with the Air Jordan tat on his right shoulder 😛) who is Argentina's most dangerous weapon from behind the arc in close games. Argentina as a whole is shooting 42.3% from downtown.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree