Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. 02 Sep '07 08:01
    Q: Which football team has won their first 4 matches but are rock bottom of the old 3rd Division?

    Oh how we still all hate them!
  2. 02 Sep '07 09:18
    Originally posted by blade68
    Q: Which football team has won their first 4 matches but are rock bottom of the old 3rd Division?

    Oh how we still all hate them!
    U gotta admit through.. its a fantastic start by little Wise!
  3. 02 Sep '07 09:19
    Great question by the way.... i am sure it will tourn up in neumarious sports quiz shows, book, Question of Sport etc
  4. Subscriber invigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    04 Sep '07 15:38
    Originally posted by blade68
    Q: Which football team has won their first 4 matches but are rock bottom of the old 3rd Division?

    Oh how we still all hate them!
    Nearly as good as what is the only football league club that doesn't have a letter from the word Mackerel?
  5. Standard member rhb
    Ginger Scum
    04 Sep '07 15:49
    Originally posted by invigorate
    Nearly as good as what is the only football league club that doesn't have a letter from the word Mackerel?
    Swindon Town
  6. Standard member Daemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    04 Sep '07 15:52 / 1 edit
    Only league football club not to be named after an actual area?
  7. 04 Sep '07 16:04 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Only league football club not to be named after an actual area?
    Port Vale. Except that's not actually true .

    Or Heart of Midlothian, if you allow the Scottish league.
  8. 08 Sep '07 22:51
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Port Vale. Except that's not actually true .

    Or Heart of Midlothian, if you allow the Scottish league.
    ...but Lothian is an area, so presumably bang in the centre would be 'Mid'Lothian???

    Anyway, what about Queen of The South?

    or St Johnstone?
  9. Standard member Daemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    11 Sep '07 09:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by blade68
    ...but Lothian is an area, so presumably bang in the centre would be 'Mid'Lothian???

    Anyway, what about Queen of The South?

    or St Johnstone?
    I'll have to ask the guy who first told me the question when I see him again but I think it's just in the English League.
  10. Standard member Goatboysrevenge
    Justice 4 the 96
    11 Sep '07 13:04
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Only league football club not to be named after an actual area?
    Arsenal...And before anybody says it, I know they WERE Woolwich Arsenal originally, but they're not known as that now are they?
  11. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    11 Sep '07 14:23
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Only league football club not to be named after an actual area?
    Chivas in the US League
  12. 11 Sep '07 15:50
    St Patrick's Athletic and Bohemians in Dublin.
  13. 12 Sep '07 15:16
    what is the answer to the original question
  14. 12 Sep '07 15:26
    Originally posted by D Ma G
    what is the answer to the original question
    leeds
  15. Standard member Peakite
    Sais
    12 Sep '07 16:00
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    I'll have to ask the guy who first told me the question when I see him again but I think it's just in the English League.
    Crystal Palace, which was a building rather than an area.

    Of course Arsenal and Port Vale have dropped place names during their history, although whether the latter name actually refers to an area itself I don't know.

    There are more in the Scottish league that aren't named after a place St Mirren, St Johnstone, Albion Rovers, Raith Rovers (although Raith may be a place, they're named after the laird), Queen of the South (the nickname of a place), Morton (a street? although have added Greenock at various times), Rangers, Celtic, Hibernian (these last two refering to people, albeit derived from an area).