1. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 21:41
    Is this the year the Cubs finally win a world series. They improved to 85-50 this afternoon and have won 7 straight now. This is their best season since 1945 and they look unstoppable. They are top 5 in hitting and pitching, so what do ya'll think? Can they win the big one?
  2. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 21:54
    Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
    Is this the year the Cubs finally win a world series. They improved to 85-50 this afternoon and have won 7 straight now. This is their best season since 1945 and they look unstoppable. They are top 5 in hitting and pitching, so what do ya'll think? Can they win the big one?
    No. AL will win. Angels, Rays and Red Sox could all handle the cubs easily, especially the first two.
  3. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 21:59
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    No. AL will win. Angels, Rays and Red Sox could all handle the cubs easily, especially the first two.
    I hardly doubt that the Red Sox or Rays could handle the Cubs. I think the Angels are the only team with a chance and even they are dropping off the radar of late. Rays will win their division but inexperience will not allow them to go far in the playoffs.
  4. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 23:022 edits
    I hardly doubt that the Red Sox or Rays could handle the Cubs. I think the Angels are the only team with a chance and even they are dropping off the radar of late. Rays will win their division but inexperience will not allow them to go far in the playoffs.
    Both the Red Sox and Rays have better pitching than anything you'll see in the NL Central, other than Sabathia. This will largely neutralize their hitting. Plus the AL has the DH, which will make it harder on your pitching.

Your current Cubs' team isn't exactly playoff proven themselves, after getting swept last year by a team that couldn't score runs. 🙄

Experience says the Rays shouldn't win their division, but if they do, I think they have a good shot at going deep (they're much better than the Brewers of last year who fell apart and let you in). Remember the Marlins coming out of no where to win the WS (who ironically knocked your Cubs out), even without winning their division (or did they? either way...)?.

The Rays are still hanging on despite being injured, and they're beating top level teams. They're pitching isn't slowing signs of showing down, and if they get healthy in time for the playoffs, who knows what will happen.

Edit: By the way, during inter league play this year, the Rays swept a 3-game set over the Cubs, including a win over Zambrano. 😛
  5. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 23:56
    in 2001, the mariners were 1st in hitting, pitching and fielding (the only team to do that) and still didnt even make the world series. weve still got to wait until the post season to find out what the cubbies have in them
  6. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    30 Aug '08 02:31
    They were given that game on 2 atrocious calls.
  7. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    30 Aug '08 18:10
    Destiny.
  8. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    31 Aug '08 22:12
    Also: The Cubs only have a 1 game lead in the overall standings over the Rays, which is substantial considering the Rays play in a far, far tougher league and division.

Again, the Rays swept the Cubs earlier in the year. 😛
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    31 Aug '08 23:351 edit
    Astros are playing tough now. Let's see how the Cubs fare against Houston. I do think it would be ironic though if the team Lou Piniella left met up against the team he left them for. I think that is unlikely since I don't really see the Rays coming out of the AL, but stranger things have happened. I like the experience of the Angels and the Bo Sox, but I am not yet ready to count out the Twins or the White Sox and they also have plenty of experience.

The Cubs might get there out of the NL, although, whoever wins the east could be their stiffest competition, and Arizona would be the darlings of the dance and have alot of talent if they can regain their composure and start winning some games.
  10. Joined
    01 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Sep '08 14:30
    yeah, listen buddy just stick to chess
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Sep '08 15:10
    I thought this was about Liverpool.
  12. 6yd box
    Moves
    01 Sep '08 22:49
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I thought this was about Liverpool.
    LOL.....
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Sep '08 22:59
    Originally posted by lapidus
    yeah, listen buddy just stick to chess
    It appears I know more about both topics than you, now doesn't it?

Cubs lose 3-0, at home, to Houston. Have a nice day!!
  14. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 11:16
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    It appears I know more about both topics than you, now doesn't it?

Cubs lose 3-0, at home, to Houston. Have a nice day!!
    Oswalt and Marquis both pitched well.

Go Cubs.
  15. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    03 Sep '08 04:26
    Two in a row for the Astros. Brew crew loses too!!! Sphincters tightening?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree