and England has moved up a spot to # 7

What?

And ghana is # 23 ?

Is this some kind of a joke?
  2. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '10 17:301 edit
    The system is based on results over the last 4 years. Ghana did well in this World Cup, but don't have consistent results over the last 4 years. You'd expect them to be climbing, though. And they did - up 9 places since the last list. Uruguay and Paraguay were the biggest climbers.

I must admit, I'm surprised England went up. With a win, two draws, and a loss to the team now in 4th place I'd have expected a very slight fall. But remember that their results from Euro 2008 qualifying, where they did poorly, are getting further away so they have less of an effect.

What the rankings don't do is consider how good a team looked while getting those results. πŸ™‚

Edit: the new rankings also include (though with less weight) some recent friendly results:

England 3 - 1 Mexico
    England 2 - 1 Japan
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '10 18:41
    Originally posted by Red Night
    yes, the fifa rankings are a joke. that's what we've been telling you all along but if you still want to believe that the usa are a top 10 team, england 7th and portugal top three...
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '10 18:57
    it seems that no matter what system you use, there's going to be major problems.

there just aren't enough games to making any ratings system be a truly accurate measurement -- the odd own-goal, goalie malfunction, red card meltdown, or weird weather event that might cause an upset will have an overly large impact.

Not to mention the effects of lousy officiating which seem to be a rather common factor.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '10 20:53
    Originally posted by Red Night
    and England has moved up a spot to # 7

What?

And ghana is # 23 ?

LOL when will you yanks stop focusing on quantitative data and start looking at the qualitative!
  6. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateβ„’
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    15 Jul '10 21:12
    Originally posted by mtthw
    The system is based on results over the last 4 years. Ghana did well in this World Cup, but don't have consistent results over the last 4 years. You'd expect them to be climbing, though. And they did - up 9 places since the last list. Uruguay and Paraguay were the biggest climbers.

I must admit, I'm surprised England went up. With a win, two draws, and ...[text shortened]... ith less weight) some recent friendly results:

England 3 - 1 Mexico
    England 2 - 1 Japan
    The only reason England's moved up is that Portugal has dropped down below them.
  7. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '10 21:27
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    The only reason England's moved up is that Portugal has dropped down below them.
    Portugal and Italy (and Uruguay have climbed above them). Although if you look at the rating, that's also gone up slightly, so there has been a net positive effect in the last two months.
  8. Santiago
    Moves
    16 Jul '10 16:31
    Originally posted by trev33
    yes, the fifa rankings are a joke. that's what we've been telling you all along but if you still want to believe that the usa are a top 10 team, england 7th and portugal top three...
    Portugal are 8th.
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    16 Jul '10 16:36
    Originally posted by Hopster
    Portugal are 8th.
    i know, but they dropped down from 3rd.
  10. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    22 Jul '10 20:23
    England 7th... that's really embarrassing and certainly was not deserved by their pathetic performance at the cup.

Its almost like saying NZ The Only Unbeaten Team from the World Cup are the real champs...lol but though Kiwis Rock.. we're not deluded.
  11. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 09:47
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    England 7th... that's really embarrassing and certainly was not deserved by their pathetic performance at the cup.

Its almost like saying NZ The Only Unbeaten Team from the World Cup are the real champs...lol but though Kiwis Rock.. we're not deluded.
    No it's not. It's like saying New Zealand are top of the world rankings. Which they are: http://www.irb.com/rankings/
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Jul '10 12:45
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    new zealand, north korea, nigeria, honduras, algeria, cameroon, ivory coast, italy, france.

that's the answer, what was the question? πŸ˜›
  13. Standard memberBIGWAD
    bloody hell
    feeding the chimps..
    Moves
    24 Jul '10 18:58
    Originally posted by trev33
    new zealand, north korea, nigeria, honduras, algeria, cameroon, ivory coast, italy, france.

that's the answer, what was the question? πŸ˜›
    None of these teams won a game at the World Cup.

hehehehe try harder πŸ™‚
  14. Joined
    08 Dec '06
    Moves
    24 Jul '10 21:04
    Originally posted by BIGWAD

hehehehe try harder πŸ™‚
    Ivory Coast won a game - 3-0 vs North Korea
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Jul '10 22:04
    Originally posted by BIGWAD

hehehehe try harder πŸ™‚
    ^^^ haha...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree