1. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 17:28
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    in your opinion, what is the toughest sport to master..?

in other words, if i trained in this sport, what one would take the longest to get to professional level..?

a few spring to mind, gymnastics, boxing and highboard diving; i would probably have to say golf as well
    I'd say soccer
  2. CA, USA
    Moves
    29 Mar '07 04:26
    Probably American football .. first you have to pack on an extra 200 lbs while retaining some speed .. or maybe basketball, first you have to grow to about 6'10", then train yourself to run/jump like a deer.

.. or maybe golf, yeah, that's it, golf.
  3. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '07 17:30
    Originally posted by Quixotical
    um... chess
    That was going to be my reply, damn you. 😠

I agree, by the way.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Mar '07 20:50
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    in your opinion, what is the toughest sport to master..?

in other words, if i trained in this sport, what one would take the longest to get to professional level..?

a few spring to mind, gymnastics, boxing and highboard diving; i would probably have to say golf as well
    golf

.. tennis is up there too, so is hockey (but i'm from canada, it's in our genes 😛)
  5. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 02:55
    Baseball. Try hitting a ball moving 100 MPH.
  6. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 03:20
    Originally posted by slimjim
    I agree here.. the orient has caught on to this game, and so has the Lower Americas. The art between the pitcher and batter is unequaled in most other sports. Americans pay 100's of millions to players who master this sport. It's a talent that cannot be taught.
  7. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 11:32
    Originally posted by B Money
    I agree with that. Snooker is a very, very difficult game. You could argue that nobody has ever truly mastered it as well, I mean, do even the top pros make a maximum break every time they get a chance to?
    You're right but I guess that leads on to another question - which sports/games can a player achieve perfection in? Snooker is one as the external influences are few (e.g. 'kicks' or chalk on the table). A game like football would be impossible as there are too many external influences, like the weather affecting the ball's flight and bounce. Theoretically a snooker player has time to be able to figure out exactly where all the balls will go after his shot. There's no way a football player can predict where the ball might go when it's hoofed into a crowd of people.
  8. Joined
    01 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 06:54
    horse racing
  9. Standard membermonster truck
    Walleye Guy
    Gone fishin'
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 17:37
    Tennis? Returning Andy Roddick's serve at over 150 m.p.h. which can be hit to an area 20 times the size of home plate is pretty tough. The area you must hit into is much smaller than a baseball field. No resting at first base after a good hit, you may have to continue the sprints for awhile longer.

Hockey is another sport which amazes me. The combination of footwork and manual dexterity along with the sheer physicality of the game is mind boggling.
    😲
  10. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    01 Apr '07 10:39
    Super athlete, super brainbox boffin.. put a golf club in their hands and they all get frustrated and tear their hair out playing the old game of golf.

Every athletic sport is hard to get to the top but most don't get a look in because they are never ever going to gain the fitness level or physique to master the sport..

Therefore it sports that anyone can play regardless of physical prowess but can't play because they too darn hard to play that are the hardest sports to master.

Anyone, male female fat thin young old can play golf.

Golf is played in just about every country in the world and you don't have to be rich to play..

But Golf is the hardest game to master ask the millions of triers..
  11. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    01 Apr '07 18:57
    Originally posted by monster truck
    Tennis? Returning Andy Roddick's serve at over 150 m.p.h. which can be hit to an area 20 times the size of home plate is pretty tough. The area you must hit into is much smaller than a baseball field. No resting at first base after a good hit, you may have to continue the sprints for awhile longer.

Hockey is another sport which amazes me. The com ...[text shortened]... ootwork and manual dexterity along with the sheer physicality of the game is mind boggling.
    😲
    Tennis I agree is a tough sport. In tennis however you are using a racket to hit and serve the ball. A tennis racket's face in almost 6 times the hitting area of a bat.
  12. Standard membermonster truck
    Walleye Guy
    Gone fishin'
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 11:44
    Tennis I agree is a tough sport. In tennis however you are using a racket to hit and serve the ball. A tennis racket's face in almost 6 times the hitting area of a bat.
    I guess it balances out then.

But the whole golf thing is just absurd!🙄
    3 of my alcoholic, retarded buddies regularly shoot par with no coaching or practice. These guys are not super athletes by any standard. Me, I couldn't break par with a sledgehammer and have sworn off the game.
  13. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 13:05
    Originally posted by monster truck
    I guess it balances out then.

But the whole golf thing is just absurd!🙄
    3 of my alcoholic, retarded buddies regularly shoot par with no coaching or practice. These guys are not super athletes by any standard. Me, I couldn't break par with a sledgehammer and have sworn off the game.
    They may, we all shoot par holes.. birdies even but you bet no beginner hit a par round. thats why the game is so hard.
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 13:27
    I'd say that mentally, cricket is harder than baseball for two reasons. Firstly, though the distance between bat and ball are about equal, the ball is on one trajectory in baseball. In cricket it hits the ground and can change speed, direction and spin at this point. The batsman has but a blink of an eye to adjust his body to this change. Secondly, the game goes for much longer periods without rest and its a lot more physically and mentally taxing to stay focused for hours at a time.

However, I'd say that the hardest sport to master is probably something like the 20km Individual Biathlon. Cross country skiing in arctic conditions (possibly the most stamina demanding sport there is) coupled with the focus and required relaxation of target shooting at coin sized targets 50m away, repeat this 4 times over 20km. That's hard core.
  15. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 13:441 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    ...the ball is on one trajectory in baseball. In cricket it hits the ground and can change speed, direction and spin at this point.
    Not that I don't agree with you but pitching in baseball is not as simple as you imply.

http://www.seed.slb.com/en/scictr/watch/baseball/physics.htm

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree