World Baseball Classic

World Baseball Classic

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Mar 09

I watched most of the 2006 event and it was filled with pretty good baseball even if the US tanked. Of course, I'll be rooting for the Cubans who made it to the final without any MLB players. S. Korea kinda got hosed last time as it beat eventual champion Japan in both the first and second rounds before losing to them in the semi-finals (the format makes such an injustice possible again).

The WBC site is here: http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/schedule/brackets.jsp

Japan and Korea will be heavy favorites in Pool A and Mexico and Cuba are expected to advance in Pool B. The Euro teams are longshots, but the other three teams in both Pool C and D look to be competitive. Darv, do you think Team Canada will make it to Round 2 and are you going to any of the games (Pool C is in Toronto)?

M

Moves
04 Mar 09

Originally posted by no1marauder
Of course, I'll be rooting for the Cubans who made it to the final without any MLB players.
That's odd. Why aren't you rooting for Team USA if you don't mind me asking?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
04 Mar 09
2 edits

Originally posted by MoneyManMike
That's odd. Why aren't you rooting for Team USA if you don't mind me asking?
It's boring to root for Goliath. Most of the other teams are thrown together groups of All-Stars some of whom can't decide what country they are from (A-Rod was on Team USA three years ago and now is on the Dominican Republic). The Cubans are an interesting group of low paid (relative to MLB players) who played hungry last time out and unexpectedly got to the Finals. I like scrappy.

I'll also root for Puerto Rico as one of my all-time favorite players, Bernie Williams, will be making a "comeback" for them.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
04 Mar 09

It's boring to root for Goliath. Most of the other teams are thrown together groups of All-Stars some of whom can't decide what country they are from (A-Rod was on Team USA three years ago and now is on the Dominican Republic). The Cubans are an interesting group of low paid (relative to MLB players) who played hungry last time out and unexpectedly got t ...[text shortened]... one of my all-time favorite players, Bernie Williams, will be making a "comeback" for them.
If you like scrappy, then why root for the Celtics?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
04 Mar 09

Originally posted by shortcircuit
If you like scrappy, then why root for the Celtics?
WTF? There's no team scrappier than the Celtics; watch 'em play D.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
04 Mar 09

WTF? There's no team scrappier than the Celtics; watch 'em play D.
Yep, sit the big 3 1/2 down and see the scraps fly!!! 😉

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
04 Mar 09
1 edit

Originally posted by shortcircuit
Yep, sit the big 3 1/2 down and see the scraps fly!!! 😉
Please start another thread if you feel it necessary to continue with this BS. If you are confused as to what the subject of this thread is, look at the title.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
04 Mar 09

It's boring to root for Goliath. Most of the other teams are thrown together groups of All-Stars some of whom can't decide what country they are from (A-Rod was on Team USA three years ago and now is on the Dominican Republic). The Cubans are an interesting group of low paid (relative to MLB players) who played hungry last time out and unexpectedly got t ...[text shortened]... one of my all-time favorite players, Bernie Williams, will be making a "comeback" for them.
Um, I thought Japan and China always did great where USA lets us down.

I watched some past 2 years, can't say I know a lot about the subject but my feelings were that USA wasn't some power-house when the cards fell each year.

Where can I find records and results for past decade or so?

P-

R

Moves
06 Mar 09
1 edit

It's boring to root for Goliath. Most of the other teams are thrown together groups of All-Stars some of whom can't decide what country they are from (A-Rod was on Team USA three years ago and now is on the Dominican Republic). The Cubans are an interesting group of low paid (relative to MLB players) who played hungry last time out and unexpectedly got t one of my all-time favorite players, Bernie Williams, will be making a "comeback" for them.
Isn't rooting for the Celtics rooting for Goliath? Unless your a long time Celts fan of course. I agree though rooting for a favorite isn't as much fun but i'll stay loyal to the home team, also i'll be watching Japan, i know they are a favorite also but Ichiro is a lot of fun to watch.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
06 Mar 09

Originally posted by RandyFlagg
Isn't rooting for the Celtics rooting for Goliath? Unless your a long time Celts fan of course. I agree though rooting for a favorite isn't as much fun but i'll stay loyal to the home team, also i'll be watching Japan, i know they are a favorite also but Ichiro is a lot of fun to watch.
Would rooting for the Celts when Russell was coaching them count as a "long time Celts fan"?

The Asian group has opened with the two favorites winning easily against the Chinese teams.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Mar 09

An update:

The Asian group went as expected with the two favorites Korea and Japan advancing easily into the second round.

In Toronto, the US advanced though they squeaked out a tough 6-5 win against Canada in the first game. The Italians then stunned Canada to eliminate them and are now playing Venezuela in an elimination game (0-0 in the 4th).

In Mexico, the Cubans won their first game South Africa easily clubbing 6 HRs. Australia rallied to shock heavily favored Mexico 17-7 and will play the Cubans tonight the winner to advance. Mexico destroyed South Africa in their second game and will play the loser of tonight's game (that will be Australia).

In Puerto Rico, the Netherlands team is the biggest surprise of the tourney so far; they upset the mighty Dominican Republic 3-2 and led Puerto Rico 1-0 before giving up 3 runs in the 8th and falling 3-1. Puerto Rico, which wiped out Panama thus advances. The DR also hammered the hapless Panama team (which got outscored 16-0 in their two games) and thus earned a rematch with the Dutch later tonight. Of course, the DR remains a heavy favorite but the Dutch have been certainly been pitching tough and playing good D. Elimination of the Dominicans in the first round, who are loaded with big name MLB players, would still be a shock though.

In sum, it's been pretty interesting with quite a few surprises. So far though all the advancing teams were expected.

(as I was typing, Venezuela has scored 3 runs in the 4th and is still batting).

d

Moves
11 Mar 09
1 edit

Going to see USA/Venezuala tonight. 2nd row behind home plate.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
12 Mar 09

Originally posted by darvlay
Going to see USA/Venezuala tonight. 2nd row behind home plate.
How'd it go? I don't remember

d

Moves
12 Mar 09

Originally posted by uzless
How'd it go? I don't remember
Hey Derek! You're pretty!

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
12 Mar 09