1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 23:35
    Had to be pushed kicking and screaming into Win 10. A Win 7 machine HD died big time, 600 bucks to get the data off it. Fired up an old XP machine and Chrome gives constant note it's way out of date and seems to also have picked up a virus.
    So ended up buying this used HP, not bad, 1 TB drive, 4 core, 8 gigs of ram, AMD processors.
    When I type like to you here, something I am doing seems to change the percent size of the type, it goes maybe to 200% or 30%, depending on what I am swiping across the bottom of the keyboard maybe near the touchpad but I think I disable that but still have this change in screen % size.
    Any idea what is going on, what am I doing that causes that?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 03:01
    @sonhouse said
    Had to be pushed kicking and screaming into Win 10. A Win 7 machine HD died big time, 600 bucks to get the data off it. Fired up an old XP machine and Chrome gives constant note it's way out of date and seems to also have picked up a virus.
    So ended up buying this used HP, not bad, 1 TB drive, 4 core, 8 gigs of ram, AMD processors.
    When I type like to you here, something ...[text shortened]... ll have this change in screen % size.
    On my comp (using Win 10) that's done via CTRL and mousewheel.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 19:52
    @athousandyoung said
    I use a usb mouse but it seems I cannot rest my hand on the flat of the laptop or I get that really annoying scale change. Pretty sure I am not hitting a cntl button, seems to be some slider control even though I think I have the touchpad disabled (there is a push switch for that) .
    To go back to 100% I have to hit the three dot pattern in the upper right of screen and go to change % line.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 15:33
    @athousandyoung said
    I think I finally got that bit figured out. On this particular laptop, there is a slight depression in the touch pad when pressed takes the pad offline.
    I had tried that a number of times unsuccessfully but for some reason today I succeeded and all the changes in video magnification are a thing of the past. That was very annoying to say the least where you just move your hands in a normal typing mode and all of a sudden the magnification of your print goes from say 100% to 30% or 370% depending on just what it is you did to make it do that.
    VERY frigging annoying, enough to where I contemplating adding a separate keyboard so I would type as usual without that BS going on.
    I am not sure why I was able to kill the touchpad exactly but it is off for now and it works a lot better that way. I use an external mouse to nav around, I dislike touchpads in the first place. They just seem an un-natural way to nav.
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    08 Jul '19 17:30
    I'm on a HP laptop running windows 7.
    I use a usb wireless mouse, and I need to disable the touchpad every time I boot up the computer. I usually disable it in control panel/synaptics.

I recently found this freeware program that seems to be working, so maybe it would be helpful for anyone having 'touchpad' problems.

http://touchpad-blocker.com
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Jul '19 14:27
    @mwmiller said
    I'm on a HP laptop running windows 7.
    I use a usb wireless mouse, and I need to disable the touchpad every time I boot up the computer. I usually disable it in control panel/synaptics.

I recently found this freeware program that seems to be working, so maybe it would be helpful for anyone having 'touchpad' problems.

http://touchpad-blocker.com
    Yeah, I found the way to disable the touchpad in settings but that goes away every time I close the lid on the laptop.
    Does this third party app keep it disabled after I put it to sleep?
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    10 Jul '19 01:08
    @sonhouse said
    Yeah, I found the way to disable the touchpad in settings but that goes away every time I close the lid on the laptop.
    Does this third party app keep it disabled after I put it to sleep?
    I just found this on the same day that I posted it here in this forum.

I downloaded it and scanned for bugs, etc. I installed it and then set it to keep the touchpad disabled all the time. There are a couple of other options as well but all I want it to do is keep the touchpad off as long as I have my mouse plugged in. So I did a little testing to see what would happen.

I tried totally shutting down then restarting and the touchpad did stay disabled.
    If I shut down and then remove the mouse usb sender, then turn on the computer, it will turn on the touchpad.
    If I have the usb sender installed and turn on the computer, the touchpad will be disabled. If while on I remove the usb sender for the mouse, the touchpad will be enabled.

So in other words if the usb mouse is installed the touchpad will remain disabled. If the mouse dies for any reason the touchpad will be enabled.

I am happy with it at this time, so all I can say is download it, scan it for viruses and malware, then install and try it. If you don't like it, uninstall it.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Jul '19 14:44
    @mwmiller said
    I just found this on the same day that I posted it here in this forum.

I downloaded it and scanned for bugs, etc. I installed it and then set it to keep the touchpad disabled all the time. There are a couple of other options as well but all I want it to do is keep the touchpad off as long as I have my mouse plugged in. So I did a little testing to see what would happ ...[text shortened]... ad it, scan it for viruses and malware, then install and try it. If you don't like it, uninstall it.
    I downloaded it and find I had to click on 'cntl-alt-F9' to stop the touchpad. The only thing is, when I close the lid, it goes away and I have to hit that every time I wake up the laptop. I have an HP laptop, 4 core, 8 gigs ram, win 10. What laptop do you have? It might be an HP thing that prevents it working full time. It is a bit better than before in that I have to go to settings and menu around to find disable so it is a bit faster but not permanent. Something weird just happened. I was typing here and something happened that the touchpad came back on followed by a change in magnification, which is what I was trying to stop. Weird, don't know what accidental button pushes I hit to cause touchpad to come back online, it certainly wasn't pushing cntl alt f9 again, I did not do that.
  9. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    10 Jul '19 15:33
    @sonhouse
    mine is an older HP, (pavilion dv6) running windows 7. the touchpad is synaptics.

When I go to the touchpad-blocker program, the only think I clicked on was the option to enable control/alt/F9 to turn the touchpad on or off.

It stays off for me unless the mouse is not working. Then the touchpad will be enabled.

I just tried what you mentioned, closed the lid and then opened it back up. I had to hit the power button one time to get the screen back, but then it came back on right away and the touchpad was still disabled.

Also, it may not work with windows 10. I don't know about that but it could be why it's not working for you.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Jul '19 19:06
    @mwmiller said
    @sonhouse
    mine is an older HP, (pavilion dv6) running windows 7. the touchpad is synaptics.

When I go to the touchpad-blocker program, the only think I clicked on was the option to enable control/alt/F9 to turn the touchpad on or off.

It stays off for me unless the mouse is not working. Then the touchpad will be enabled.

I just tried what you mentioned, closed t ...[text shortened]... may not work with windows 10. I don't know about that but it could be why it's not working for you.
    Yeah, it's probably a stupid Win10 deal. Still, it is easier to do with the blocker with CNTL-ALT-F9 than going through settings. I guess if you have an HP laptop and synoptic touchpad, I probably have the same.
  11. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    11 Jul '19 01:54
    @sonhouse

one last thought. When you run the program setup, the top option is to auto-run the program on startup. If you select it, that might disable the touchpad without any other action needed on your part.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jul '19 16:51
    One update on using blocker. I got Roxio CD/DVD rip/burn software. One surprise was it was an app more than 3 GIGABYTES large! Anyway, when it got loaded in, I found out to my disgust blocker was broken, I could hit cntl alt F9 and it SAID the touchpad was blocked but it wasn't.
    So to see what was going on, I uninstalled Roxio and tried it. Blocker still didn't work. I had to uninstall blocker, go to the site, download a fresh copy and only then did blocker work again.
    That sucked. Win media player has a rip/burn app but it is quirky, I think I had some bad CD R's but it was hard to tell. My wife and I produce our own music and I am working on a project to make a few dozen copies of one of our CD's so I ripped that CD and then proceeded to burn as many as I could but I would get this message, unable to burn all files but there is a feature called 'rate' which assigns 1 to 5 stars and it seems if you don't rate it you can't burn it. So I would rate it again even though it was rated, apparently something gets lost where it doesn't think it is rated so I go over it and redo the rating and then it is ok burning the CD. So I got Roxio rip and burn but then I ran into the collision with blocker.
    I was shocked Roxio was more than 3 GB and somewhere in that mess it disables blocker. So I uninstalled Roxio and had to uninstall blocker and reinstall it for blocker to start working again.
    I guess you have to put that under the category of 'WINDOWS SUCKS' eh.
  13. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    19 Jul '19 11:41
    @sonhouse said
    When I type like to you here, something ...[text shortened]... ll have this change in screen % size.
    So. You buy my hp laptop stolen from me on my last flight to Fl.?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Jul '19 16:24
    @kquinn909 said
    So. You buy my hp laptop stolen from me on my last flight to Fl.?
    Ah JEEZ, it was YOURS? The guy said he just got it in a yard sale.....
    The hard part of losing a comp is all the stuff on the HD the thief could care less about unless you had your bank numbers on it....
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '19 18:501 edit

Removed by poster

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree