2008 Site Championships closed to new entrants?

2008 Site Championships closed to new entrants?

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
20 Dec 07

Already?... interesting.. guess it was closed on purpose but why so early?

L
Stick your hands up

Your bum

Moves
20 Dec 07

Yeah there's no need for that. Re-open it NOW! Surely the more the better?

i

Moves
20 Dec 07

i noticed this too... by the look of the last few days there are still many joining and more will want to join

Moves
20 Dec 07

It was probably closed by mistake. Russ recently wrote code to automatically close tournaments about a couple of weeks after they were created. It's exactly 2 weeks since the 2008 Championship was created. There are alao about a dozen other tournaments that have been closed prematurely before they could fill up.

The 2008 Championship definitely needs to be reopened so that a lot more players can enter before January. Also there must be many players who have already entered but now wish to withdraw and they should be given the chance to do so. People's circumstances can change a great deal over a couple of weeks.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
20 Dec 07

No way. A true spratan should never retreat from battle, just as a true chessplayer should never retreat from a tournament. It is better to take the loss.

SPS CLAN

Wales

Moves
20 Dec 07

yea lets try and get 1000 people entered 🙂

r

Moves
20 Dec 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
No way. A true spratan should never retreat from battle, just as a true chessplayer should never retreat from a tournament. It is better to take the loss.
"spratans" have been retreating from battle ever since the bakery wars
in naples, circa 1915..."spratans" also fled from the monopoly tournaments held in des moines in 1941.....you cannot count on "spratans" to hold the line when the line gets tough...

L
Stick your hands up

Your bum

Moves
20 Dec 07

Yeah, look at this guy User 169159

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
20 Dec 07

either way.. if it's closed now shouldn't it have started soon/already?

I'm kinda excited.. always wanted to get my rematch against Korch and a match vs. Tebb .. hopefully i play one of the two.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Dec 07

It's not going to start BEFORE January 1st, is it? If I had known that was a possibility, I wouldn't have entered; my on-line time during the holidays is quite limited.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
20 Dec 07

Originally posted by no1marauder
It's not going to start BEFORE January 1st, is it? If I had known that was a possibility, I wouldn't have entered; my on-line time during the holidays is quite limited.
Thread 71913

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Dec 07

Originally posted by adramforall
[b]Thread 71913[/b]
Russ: All new tournaments (from today) will now start within an hour of filling, or shortly afterwards. There will be some exceptions where tournament starts need to be managed, but these cases will probably be limited to super sized tournaments such as site championships.

In the 2008 Championship thread in Announcements, Russ says the tournament should start promptly "in the next year", so I guess I don't have to worry about it.

J

Moves
20 Dec 07

My sentiments also...I noticed that the tournament was said to start in January and thought I had more time left to enter!...bummer 🙁...Any chane of re-opening?...maximum players stated 2500...only 655 so far?

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
20 Dec 07

I hope there are some people who try and back out now it is closed - there is nothing in chess that pleases me more then to see a slacker get judassed.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
22 Dec 07

Let me share some details on what has happened here.

Firstly, not all tournaments are set to start soon after closing out, although the majority do.

Secondly, this tournament was closed automatically, as all tournaments do now if they'd don't fill after a period of time. This was obviously unintentional in this case, so I will re-open it right away.

Sorry about the confusion this caused.

-Russ