1. Joined
    16 Mar '02
    Moves
    11 Feb '03 21:48
    Not to sure where to post this. But I would like to see a player skinnybiscui eliminated from : It's a KnockOut due to his foul language in game 156184. Please Russ, Chrismo or whoever see what you can do about this. Has anyone else had similar problems? What can I do?
  2. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    11 Feb '03 21:54
    Someone called me a "damnable harlot" once. I laughed for five solid minutes...then checkmated him.
  3. Joined
    16 Mar '02
    Moves
    11 Feb '03 21:58
    at least that's quoteable. This isn't.
  4. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    11 Feb '03 22:00
    That's really unfortunate. I would suggest you ignore it, unless that aforesaid player is removed from the tournament.
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    11 Feb '03 22:191 edit
    Originally posted by stalebread
    Not to sure where to post this. But I would like to see a player skinnybiscui eliminated from : It's a KnockOut due to his foul language in game 156184. Please Russ, Chrismo or whoever see what you can do about this. Has anyone else had similar problems? What can I do?
    Probably the 'help' forum would be better for this problem. Russ says he checks that forum regularly.

I assume you are referring to messages received during a game with this person. If so, these messages are only seen by you.

Moderators can only deal with this sort of thing if it happens in the forum, by removing posts.

I suggest you send a feedback directly to Chris and Russ concerning this matter. I don't know what they will do about it, but maybe an idea you could suggest would be to have a 'message off' feature so that you wouldn't have to receive any messages from your opponent during a game, unless you want to. (Start with message feature on, and if it gets out of hand, just turn it off.)

regards, Marc
  6. Joined
    16 Mar '02
    Moves
    11 Feb '03 23:21
    Thanks marc, I'll give that a shot. I like your picture - best I've seen so far - must get one myself.
  7. Joined
    16 Mar '02
    Moves
    12 Feb '03 18:30
    I've decided to let these games time out and simply refuse to play against someone who uses the most obsene language I've come accross. In addition to this I strongly suspect that he is using a program to play the games. Although impratical it might just be possible to have some fellows refereeing in such instances. On ICS for example you would get barred if this happened. Although nothing would stop the same undesirable joining again at least it might help ensure that tournament games are kept clean.
    I'm totally disgusted.
    Chris.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '03
    Moves
    12 Feb '03 21:31
    Originally posted by stalebread
    I've decided to let these games time out and simply refuse to play against someone who uses the most obsene language I've come accross. In addition to this I strongly suspect that he is using a program to play the games. Although impratical it might just be possible to have some fellows refereeing in such instances. On ICS for example you would get bar ...[text shortened]... east it might help ensure that tournament games are kept clean.
    I'm totally disgusted.
    Chris.
    I agree, foul language should not be used on this site. I was curious about him using a program though ( this is a pet peeve of mine ). I played over the games in question and it doesn't appear as if he is using one. It's fairly easy to detect. A program will NEVER make a move that gives up a piece and his play is a bit too sloppy to come from a program.
  9. Donationlegionnaire
    Free Thinker
    New York City
    Moves
    12 Feb '03 21:48
    Originally posted by britt2001b
    I agree, foul language should not be used on this site. I was curious about him using a program though ( this is a pet peeve of mine ). I played over the games in question and it doesn't appear as if he is using one. It's fairly easy to detect. A program will NEVER make a move that gives up a piece and his play is a bit too sloppy to come from a program.
    Really? Is that true about a program not sacrificing pieces? I'm just purely curious - I know that fritz 8 is available for download, but i haven't tried it (I don't cheat and I don't feel like playing a program that I know will wipe the floor with me.) One would think that it actually would make unexpected sacrifices because it can see so far ahead that it can determine when it will recoup the loss much later than any human would detect, so it would appear in our eyes as a bad move, even though it's actually very intelligent.

-mike
  10. Joined
    16 Mar '02
    Moves
    12 Feb '03 21:53
    Yeah, I guess you might be right there Britt, had the language not been quite so foul I would have played on. However I think the whole thing is best forgotten and all I hope is I don't come accross him again. A message off feature should be a 10 minute job to implement and these problems would dissapear.
  11. Joined
    16 Mar '02
    Moves
    13 Feb '03 07:51
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    Someone called me a "damnable harlot" once. I laughed for five solid minutes...then checkmated him.
    After 2 good nights of sleep I've decided to play on - one more chance - let's see what happens, but I'm not laughing.
  12. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    13 Feb '03 09:24
    I had a game not too long ago against a player that I'd never faced before. The first three messages where all the same **** ***! (Lets's just say it was very offensive!). I just ignored it but it was abit unerving to say the least. I would actually like the option of being able to hide messages for a session. If a family member wife/husband/child is sitting with you it can be a bit like russian roulette wondering if the next message is going to contain something you'd rather wasn't seen. I often get messages that viewed out of context and by someone who doesn't know the history of previous conversations can seem very strange... and very hard to explain!

Rhymester
  13. Donationlegionnaire
    Free Thinker
    New York City
    Moves
    13 Feb '03 15:251 edit
    I wonder, do people think they're waging some sort of effective psychological warfare by needlessly insulting their opponents? I think it just makes it that much more satisfying when you beat them.

I suppose people have different ideas of what they want out of this site - but it seems like they're wasting good opportunities to meet interesting people from around the world.

Stalebread - sorry that you're being mistreated by your opponent. Challenge me if you feel like playing a civil game. 🙂

-mike
  14. Joined
    16 Mar '02
    Moves
    15 Feb '03 09:16
    Well Rymester I suppose with 25000 people on the site a few will invevitably be lacking manners and that you with your record of a 'few' games no doubt know more about this than i do. Thanks for your post.

Mike thanks for the offer of a game I'll take you up on that shortly I've got two brothers who studied biology and they both ended up in the computer business.

Also to those who have been following this thread I would just like to add that this opponent of mine is not using a computer - my mistake.
  15. Donationvaknso
    The Ambassador
    Charleston SC. USA
    Moves
    15 Feb '03 15:40
    stalebread,
    Your opponent must be very good at telepathy. Joking with you, Read part of your last comment:" Also to those who have been following this thread I would just like to add that this opponent of mine is not using a COMPUTER - my mistake."
    I capitalized one word for emphasis. LOL
    John

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree