Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. Standard member Ravello
    The Rude©
    04 Jun '06 21:22
    Can I ask why on earth Banded tournaments, which are the best, have so slow time controls like 7/14 ?

    Why not 3/7 or 3/14 ?

    I'd like to join one of them but the idea of completing the first round in 2007 is not that appealing.......

    The last tournament I took part with 7/14 as time control lasted two years.

    'nuff said
  2. Standard member The Slow Pawn
    HIT THE LIGHTS
    04 Jun '06 21:45
    Agree ... Seems that all banded tournaments are 7/14 ... Could do with a couple of 3/7's as well
  3. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    04 Jun '06 22:14
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Can I ask why on earth Banded tournaments, which are the best, have so slow time controls like 7/14 ?

    Why not 3/7 or 3/14 ?

    I'd like to join one of them but the idea of completing the first round in 2007 is not that appealing.......

    The last tournament I took part with 7/14 as time control lasted two years.

    'nuff said
    Yes, again, why was the banded tounie setup changed?? It was fine with 3/7.
  4. Standard member GalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    04 Jun '06 23:57
    Completely agree.

    If they're not changed within the next few sets of bandeds, I'll send in feedback about it.
  5. Subscriber huckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    05 Jun '06 00:50
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Completely agree.

    If they're not changed within the next few sets of bandeds, I'll send in feedback about it.
    they should be 3/na, or 7/na.

    timebanks are like giving someone two clocks.
  6. 05 Jun '06 11:00
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    they should be 3/na, or 7/na.

    timebanks are like giving someone two clocks.
    we need timebanks - but you're all right 7/14 to too much, i entered the january banded tournament and there’s still 3 games being played, which are taking ages. the viking tournament with 3/14 was far better, its gives you enough timebank that if you can't move for a while you won't be timed out but with only 3 days to move most of the games go quite quickly. i think the viking one started in march and i wouldn't be surprised if the vikings final round started before the january banded tourney 😠
  7. Standard member protoss350
    AbOvE AvErAgE
    05 Jun '06 12:24
    Meh, I reckon there should be some really speedy banded tournaments like 1/3 or something like that. Everything will be fine as long as there are more quicker banded tournaments
  8. Standard member Ravello
    The Rude©
    13 Jun '06 01:23
    Bump.

    Tournaments with turtleish time controls are still to be filled, hmmmm, I wonder why.......

    We can make a petition for more June banded tournaments with more speedy time controls or at least we can hope that the July ones won't have the same time controls.

    This thing is getting annoying, I can't join tournaments because of the slow settings....
  9. 13 Jun '06 21:22
    You should set up a vote on the time controls for tournaments and the winning one take over from the current one.
  10. 14 Jun '06 12:24
    If you're playing correspondence chess games, games could last for weeks maybe months: you guys know this. However it's impossible to always be available to make your move: to lose your game because the other guy timed you out is really annoying so timebanks are necessary. A 3 day period for making up your move is obviously ok (for it includes a possible weekend break) so I go with the opinion that 7/14 time controls are slowing the game too much and should be changed to 3/14 or something.
  11. 14 Jun '06 19:09
    maybe, we need a time control that doesn't decrement at weekends ...
  12. Standard member Ravello
    The Rude©
    27 Jun '06 17:48
    Thanks Russ for starting a second group of June banded tournaments still with elephantiac time controls.

    I have the vain hope that sometime I'll enter again a banded tournament with 3/7 or 3/14 (1/7 is asking too much) time controls.............
  13. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    28 Jun '06 00:13
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Thanks Russ for starting a second group of June banded tournaments [b]still with elephantiac time controls.

    I have the vain hope that sometime I'll enter again a banded tournament with 3/7 or 3/14 (1/7 is asking too much) time controls.............[/b]
    Thanks Russ/Chris!!! Our prayers have been answered!!! 😀😀😀😀
  14. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    28 Jun '06 00:16
    Originally posted by trentreznor
    If you're playing correspondence chess games, games could last for weeks maybe months: you guys know this. However it's impossible to always be available to make your move: to lose your game because the other guy timed you out is really annoying so timebanks are necessary. A 3 day period for making up your move is obviously ok (for it includes a possible ...[text shortened]... t 7/14 time controls are slowing the game too much and should be changed to 3/14 or something.
    Agreed!! 7/14 is just ridiculous!
  15. 28 Jun '06 01:46
    I'm one of the people who can't get to the computer all the time. 3/7 will be too short for people who come on every week . 7/14 is too long though. Shame there isn't a way to have 7/3, to give a small timebank.