1. Joined
    13 Nov '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '07 12:50
    I think this site needs to institute a rule change. Look at tournament 2575. It has not yet begun and there is someone entered who is 150 points above the rating limit for the tournament. This is a little silly.
  2. Joined
    01 May '07
    Moves
    22 Sep '07 13:07
  3. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    23 Sep '07 12:11
    Originally posted by SiliconPawn
    I think this site needs to institute a rule change. Look at tournament 2575. It has not yet begun and there is someone entered who is 150 points above the rating limit for the tournament. This is a little silly.
    But when they entered they were within the limits.

They were rated 1592 at the start of August and 1792 and the end.

They are just a good player with a very quickly improving rating.
  4. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 12:41
    I have the same problem, or rather i am the problem, so ill be resigning game in the start of the next round in tournaments i think it is out of order to compete in. I think others should do the same, it doesnt cost points.
  5. Joined
    13 Nov '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '07 01:08
    Originally posted by adramforall
    But when they entered they were within the limits.

They were rated 1592 at the start of August and 1792 and the end.

I disagree. I understand when a tournament runs for months you are going to get that in the later rounds, but this tournament was just announced. He is not a quickly improving player, he is a new player whose rating hasn't peaked. If he had any respectability, he would withdraw from the tournament.

And by the way he is now 200 points over the rating cap and still climbing.
  6. Joined
    06 Sep '07
    Moves
    25 Sep '07 09:18
    I think if a player was rated within the tournament boundaries to begin with legitimately (meaning not losing 30 games to compete in an easy win tourney) I dont see what the problem is really, ratings fluctuate, I went up to 1388 at one point and I am not that good, I am more a 1250 player.
    I lost 20 odd games competing in no rating limit tournaments and got whooped all the time too, but I almost beat a 1788 player a couple of days ago, I had a pawn advantage in the end game but blundered on a queen exchange....Any way I digress.....

If you enter at 1250 and did not deliberately drop in rating then you should still be allowed to play IMO.
  7. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    25 Sep '07 12:231 edit
    Originally posted by SiliconPawn
    I disagree. I understand when a tournament runs for months you are going to get that in the later rounds, but this tournament was just announced. He is not a quickly improving player, he is a new player whose rating hasn't peaked. If he had any respectability, he would withdraw from the tournament.

And by the way he is now 200 points over the rating cap and still climbing.
    😕

They entered Tournament 2575, which is an August 2007 Banded Duel II 1650-1800.

They were rated 1592 at the start of August and 1792 and the end of August therefore within the acceptable limits.

Also I never said they were a quickly improving player I said

While it is annoying that someone is obviously better than the banded limits, the tournament entry limits limits were imposed to prevent most examples like this, a new member who has not yet reached their true skill level will always stand out.

However as long as the players meet these tournament ratings limits then they will be allowed to enter.

What next, denying someone who has fallen from 1900 to 1300 due to timeouts from entering banded tournaments for 1850+ rating because their actual current rating is way below their tournament entry threshold?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree