1. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    02 Oct '05 19:27
    I think most average players prefer banded tournies. However banded tournies at the extreme (below 1000 and above 1800) often take time to fill.

I see two possible solutions: More regular tournies for those rated 1150 to 1450 at say bands of 25 points.

or

Adjusting the size of the band according to number of players with this rating: Therefore you might have one band 800 - 1000 another 1000 to 1050 and then at the peak of the statistical curve have a band 1295 to 1300, before the bands widen again higher up the ratings.

This would give everyone equal chance of getting into a tournament.
  2. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    02 Oct '05 23:16
    Not 'or', but 'and'!
  3. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '05 20:27
    I would agree with both suggestions.
    I like to play against higher ranked players to learn and I usually lose ; I like to play against lower ranked players to boost my ego and hopefully teach them a thing or two.
    Players in tournaments should be as evenly matched as possible; that's when the really good, competitive games occur.
  4. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 02:42
    I think the ratings increments for banded tourneys are ridiculous. 25 points a piece, come on. My rating goes up and down over a 100pt scale on average. Trying to pin down my actual rating to a specific 25 point category is futile. I think doing them by the 100's is a better idea.
  5. Standard memberSaint Nick
    Pimp of the elves
    San Diego, CA
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 04:20
    I think the average player has similar rating fluctuation to you. Since everyone is being paired by their upper fluctuation point, you would be paired against players that are pretty close to your skill level with the 25 point increments even though there might be a 75 point difference between two players at the moment.

The big problem with the 100 point increments in the middle ratings is that there are too many players in that range. Those tournys will fill up literally within a few hours. If you weren't online when the tourney was posted, you didn't get in.
  6. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 11:48
    Best thing might just that all people sign in for a tournament without a limit in participants. After, say, a week it is decided if those that have signed in will form one tournament, of the group is split into different tournaments.
  7. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 14:04
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Best thing might just that all people sign in for a tournament without a limit in participants. After, say, a week it is decided if those that have signed in will form one tournament, of the group is split into different tournaments.
    Gets my rec

Open up a 'tournament' for entry over say one week then split it into bands based on the ratings demographic of those that enter.
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 15:56
    I also support this suggestion. As some people might have noticed the narrwo banded tournaments 807-80 didn't fill up that fast. This time two bands would have sufficed.
    Making the bands after people joined would avoid the problems aorund this.
  9. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 20:05
    I to agree with this idea. Perhpas the idea should be passed on to Russ for review Aiko.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree