1. Retired from site
    Moves
    18 Aug '04 06:33
    Reviewing the recent World Chamionships in Libya, I had an idea.

Why not a Championship for RHP? This could be an annual event or bi-annual.

The format can be discussed, and the absolute winner will be the RHP Champion!

2. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Aug '04 18:22
    the winner would only be the champion of the tournament not of rhp since everyone on the top wouldn't join the tournament. Besides the only real way to determine a champion in a tournament i think would be all vs all so that veryone in the tournament would have a shot at winning which would limit the participants even more so as alot of people on the site are afraid of playing too many games at once.
  3. Retired from site
    Moves
    18 Aug '04 21:41
    Everyone will be given a chance to participate (yes, all the hundreds of members!)

But everyone will reserve the right to not participate, and withdraw before the start of the tournament.

As an example, in the recent WCC, the world's top players like Kramnik, Anand, etc didnt take part, taking a stand on principle.

All players will have to be informed, and given ample time to prepare and sort out their availability for the 'RHP Chamionships' (just coined the phrase)

The tournament shouldnt run for more than 6 months.

4. Joined
    07 Apr '03
    Moves
    18 Aug '04 21:44
    Originally posted by calvs12
    Everyone will be given a chance to participate (yes, all the hundreds of members!)

But everyone will reserve the right to not participate, and withdraw before the start of the tournament.

As an example, in the recent WCC, the world's top players like Kramnik, Anand, etc didnt take part, taking a stand on principle.

All players will have to be infor ...[text shortened]... amionships' (just coined the phrase)

The tournament shouldnt run for more than 6 months.

You mean thousands of members on RHP? This tournament could last well over a year. I say that we have signups like a normal tournament. People join if they want to, and it they don't, they don't.

-TT
  5. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    18 Aug '04 23:05
    Originally posted by TimmyToilet
    You mean thousands of members on RHP? This tournament could last well over a year. I say that we have signups like a normal tournament. People join if they want to, and it they don't, they don't.

-TT
    Well over a year?
    You're very optimistic!
  6. Retired from site
    Moves
    18 Aug '04 23:45
    It doesnt need to take over an year.

We could have the first few rounds as a knockout, until we get, say, less than 100 players left. Another tournament system can start now.

Projections: If 512 players sign up, then at round 2, we'll have 256, round 3, 128, round 4, 64. This will be a manageble number.

The system above is not uncommon in FIDE events.

And sorry, I didnt know RHP has thousands of subscribers. Go RHP!

7. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    19 Aug '04 07:39
    LOL, go and have a look at how many of the tournaments already in existence haven't finished yet. Tournaments here can take a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time!

*Faints at the thought of a tournament with 512 players, even if it IS knockout*
  8. Retired from site
    Moves
    19 Aug '04 07:52
    Then have a championship of past tournament winners. Depending on how many accept, extend the invitation to runnersup as well.

9. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Aug '04 11:12
    that would probabl be more of a championship though it wouldnt be a very big tournament, not alll that many tournaments have actually been completed. And with 512 players I'd say amywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 years to finish it.
  10. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    19 Aug '04 15:381 edit
    Here is a list of all previous tournement winners.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?id=11662&page=3

The idea could work when the TO=0 and a TB=40. Those tours end rather quick (each round within 80 days). But it is also known that many players are not up for such a tournement.
  11. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    20 Aug '04 02:35
    We recently had the Grand Continent tournaments, which were fun, and fast to finish. We could extend the idea, and have the winners play off for the RHP "World" Championship.

And then do it again next year, when I'm sure the interest would be much greater. But it may be fairer if continents with large numbers of players, ie Europe and North America have several zonal tournaments.

12. Retired from site
    Moves
    20 Aug '04 03:01
    That actually is a very good suggestion.

The RHP "World" Championships, sounds exciting.

13. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    23 Aug '04 02:031 edit
    Originally posted by NicolaiS
    The idea could work when the TO=0 and a TB=40. Those tours end rather quick (each round within 80 days). But it is also known that many players are not up for such a tournement.
    groupsize 8,
    three rounds,
    finishes in 240 days,
    maximum of 8*8*8 = 512 players (but less if we allow for some draws)

i have said this before a long time ago.
    no serious objections were raised.

some players may not be happy to play in such a format - but no format will keep everyone happy.
    ironman31 plays this format happily and we all know that is what counts the most!
  14. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    23 Aug '04 22:57
    even better:

timeout 0, timebank 60 days
    groupsize 8 (or 9 if more players enter),
    three rounds,
    finishes in 60*6 = 360 days,
    maximum of 8*8*8 = 512 players (but less if we allow for some draws, perhaps 460 players is better)
    start date january 5 2005

15. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '04 20:00
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    We recently had the Grand Continent tournaments, which were fun, and fast to finish. We could extend the idea, and have the winners play off for the RHP "World" Championship.

And then do it again next year, when I'm sure the interest would be much greater. But it may be fairer if continents with large numbers of players, ie Europe and North America have several zonal tournaments.

A nice conclusion to the Continent tournaments would be for the winners from each continent to play in an all against all tournament. Just a sideline thought...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree