1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Jul '04 02:58
    I am confused about my rating vis-a-vis my eligibility to enter certain tournaments. I wanted to join the Delta Banded 1400-1600 but it says provisionals can't enter and I'm 2 games away from finishing my provisional status (if any of my opponents are reading this some moves would be greatly appreciated). So I entered the Mid-rating 1300-1499 when my rating was p1495 but now it's 1503 and I also have a high in the last thirty days of 1563 which the My Profile page says is what is used to determine eligibility for tournaments with rating restrictions! So am I eligible for the 1300-1499? Would anybody care if I entered the 1400-1600 as a provisional with the hope that two games would be finished before the tournament started and I'd then wouldn't be a provisional? Help!!!!
  2. Joined
    17 Feb '03
    Moves
    10 Jul '04 03:23
    Confusion is a normal state of mind for a Freethinker...get used to it πŸ™‚

Feivel
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Jul '04 03:41
    Originally posted by Feivel

Feivel
    Gee, thanks for the help .... it's all clear to me now!
  4. Joined
    17 Feb '03
    Moves
    10 Jul '04 03:43
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Gee, thanks for the help .... it's all clear to me now!
    I am from the government and I am here to help πŸ™‚

Feivel
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    10 Jul '04 05:24
    Don't worry about it, you should be able to kick some ass in that tournie then πŸ˜‰

BTW, the 1400-1600 isn't full yet so don't frett. If your really really want to enter, you could offer a couple of draws in obviously won positions (for you) just to loose the p. Sounds a bit backward but you'll get the points back in no time.

James~>
  6. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    10 Jul '04 08:00
    I am confused about my rating vis-a-vis my eligibility to enter certain tournaments. I wanted to join the Delta Banded 1400-1600 but it says provisionals can't enter and I'm 2 games away from finishing my provisional status (if any of my opponents are reading this some moves would be greatly appreciated). So I entered the Mid-rating 1300-1499 ...[text shortened]... uld be finished before the tournament started and I'd then wouldn't be a provisional? Help!!!!
    maybe if you will get some more games going....
    you don´t need to play only 6 games anymore.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Jul '04 14:44
    My confusion stems from two contradictory statements on the site. On the Help-Tournaments page it states: "Only your rating when you enter the tournament is important" while on My Profile page it says "Highest Rating is used to determine eligibility for rating contrilled tournaments." Since both can't be correct, I was simply asking which is the proper rule to follow.

As for the respones to my original thread: 1) Yes, free thinking, that is not blindly following mores and traditions spoon fed to us, at times does create confusion; while it is true that the blind follower is never confused because he has been already told what is the "truth" I choose to use my facilities to try to reason things for myself; 2) I would consider it a serious breach of chess etiquette to offer a draw in a won position or a lost position (I recently had an opponent offer me a draw when he had only 4 pawns left and I had a knight and 3 pawns and a very simple endgame win): 3) I have added a number of games including 3 invites and 4 clan games but my average game has taken 4 days and I thought the tournaments were about to start any day.

Since it is unclear to me whether I am eligible for the 1300-1499, I am going to withdraw. If I get a definite answer from Russ that I am eligible for the tourney then I will rejoin it.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Jul '04 14:54
    A quick update: when I withdrew from the 1300-1499 I got a message saying I was not ineligible because my highest rating in the last 30 days was over 1499. It might be more logical to get this message when you try to join, not withdraw. A quick check of some of the higher rated players now in the tournament showed at least another 7 or 8 are also ineligible. This seems to be a bit of a bug, ain't it?
  9. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    10 Jul '04 14:58
    My confusion stems from two contradictory statements on the site. On the Help-Tournaments page it states: "Only your rating when you enter the tournament is important" while on My Profile page it says "Highest Rating is used to determine eligibility for rating contrilled tournaments." Since both can't be correct, I was simply asking which is ...[text shortened]... If I get a definite answer from Russ that I am eligible for the tourney then I will rejoin it.
    Your highest rating over the last 30 days at the point you enter a tourney,is used to determine eligibility.Whatever your rating was before or whatever happens to your rating after you entered the tourney is of no importance.
    So you see,both are correct πŸ˜€
    Besides,when you click on a tourney to enter,it should say wether or not you are eligible.If you are,join.Simple! 😏

Sir Lot.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Jul '04 16:10
    Originally posted by SirLoseALot
    Your highest rating over the last 30 days at the point you enter a tourney,is used to determine eligibility.Whatever your rating was before or whatever happens to your rating after you entered the tourney is of no importance.
    So you see,both are correct πŸ˜€
    Besides,when you click on a tourney to enter,it should say wether or not you are eligible.If you are,join.Simple! 😏

Sir Lot.
    Not to pick too many nits, but their is a "Rating" on your Profile page and when the Help-Tournament page referred to "your rating" I assumed that's what it meant. Maybe it should just be clarified in the Tournament-Help page.

The tournament did allow me in and has apparently allowed other players with Highest Rating in last 30 days >1500 in as well (some who have current ratings >1500!). This doesn't seem to make any sense; if your going to restrict the tournament to 1300-1499 then it should be filtered like we can filter challenges.
  11. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeΒ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    10 Jul '04 17:41
    Originally posted by Feivel

Feivel
    Man, this cracked me!πŸ˜€
  12. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    11 Jul '04 03:18
    Not to pick too many nits, but their is a "Rating" on your Profile page and when the Help-Tournament page referred to "your rating" I assumed that's what it meant. Maybe it should just be clarified in the Tournament-Help page.

The tournament did allow me in and has apparently allowed other players with Highest Rating in last 30 da ...[text shortened]... restrict the tournament to 1300-1499 then it should be filtered like we can filter challenges.
    I agree it could be made more clear,but this 'rating last 30 days' is a rather new feature,I assume the help page isn't updated yet.

The people in the tourney with too high ratings probably had a lower rate at the point they entered the tourney.That's all that matters,even if you get your rating up to 2500 before the tourney starts,it doesn't matter,you're still eligible.
    I must say I have seen similar threads before,so maybe the system isn't working proper.Personally,I never experienced any problem with tourneys.If you really wanna know,message russ,or post in the 'help&ideas' forum.

Sir Lot.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree