1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    28 May '04 08:23
    Today I closed and started all remaining continent tournaments.

I apologise if you are not happy with all the entrants in your tournament, but this idea was turning into an admin nightmare. I had hoped it could be self regulated, but this doesn’t appear to be the case.

In future, I will do per country tournaments, which can lock invalid entrants to avoid this happening again.

-Russ
  2. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    28 May '04 08:59
    They idea about these continent tours is pretty neat though ... it should be self regulating ... but apperently its difficult for some players to NOT enter a tour for which they aren't eligable ... but a Countries tour ... I would like that too ...
  3. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    28 May '04 09:311 edit
    The continent and country ideas are great, Russ.

I don't suppose there is much that can be done about the existing invasions, since the games and tables have already been generated.

Initially, I wanted to boycott games against the offending players. But I've changed my mind.

It would be fair all around if everyone played the games out. With one proviso, you have to have been elligible to enter the tournament in order to win it.

So in the Africa tournament, for example, the tournament title should go to highest scoring African player, regardless of whether timtim from Texas wins or not.

4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    28 May '04 18:53
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    The continent and country ideas are great, Russ.

I don't suppose there is much that can be done about the existing invasions, since the games and tables have already been generated.

Initially, I wanted to boycott games against the offending players. But I've changed my mind.

It would be fair all around if everyone played the games out. Wit ...[text shortened]... go to highest scoring African player, regardless of whether timtim from Texas wins or not.

I had considered this - and now you have suggested it too, I am prepared to do it. (The winner can be changed after the tournament has finished without any real difficulty)

Please prompt me to make these changes when the tournaments finish.

-Russ
  5. Joined
    03 Feb '04
    Moves
    28 May '04 19:02
    I'm with Gatecrasher on this one. Should he ( or I!!) or any other AFRICAN player by any chance finish second in the Africa tournament to TIMTIM - NOT FROM AFRICA - wthat person should be declared the winner.

Richie
    xxx
  6. Standard membertimtim
    Unnatural Leader
    Sweeny, Texas
    Moves
    28 May '04 22:40
    Yes, I'm with all of you also. I didn't care about winning the tourney, I just wanted more games because summer has started!!!!! HHHHAARRRAAAAAYYYYY. Sorry once again if I offended anyone that entered the African tourney. It was not my intentions at all.😀😀
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '04
    Moves
    29 May '04 19:11
    You are growing on me Timtim 😀
  8. An airport near you
    Moves
    04 Jun '04 19:29
    I'm bumping this just to point out that the whole issue of illegible players in the continent tournaments has been resolved.
  9. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '04 19:46
    Originally posted by Osse
    I'm bumping this just to point out that the whole issue of illegible players in the continent tournaments has been resolved.
    how was it solved?
  10. An airport near you
    Moves
    04 Jun '04 19:51
    Originally posted by Russ
    I had considered this - and now you have suggested it too, I am prepared to do it. (The winner can be changed after the tournament has finished without any real difficulty)

Please prompt me to make these changes when the tournaments finish.

-Russ
    Looks resolved to me. So it doesn't really matter who enters, as long as the winner is from the appropriate continent.
  11. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '04 19:58
    Originally posted by Osse
    Looks resolved to me. So it doesn't really matter who enters, as long as the winner is from the appropriate continent.
    good, problem solved😀
  12. Joined
    03 Feb '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '04 20:06
    Except if the result of the tournament is decided by games played against an ILLEGAL entrant.

Example :

Player 1 loses both games against Timtim
    Player 2 wins both games against Timtim

Player 2 has an advantage of 6 points.

This is not fair. Ok, so he lost two more games, but not against a leggitimate opponent. All games against illegal and unfair and illegintimate entrants should not count.

13. An airport near you
    Moves
    04 Jun '04 20:18
    Originally posted by saffa73
    Except if the result of the tournament is decided by games played against an ILLEGAL entrant.

Example :

Player 1 loses both games against Timtim
    Player 2 wins both games against Timtim

Player 2 has an advantage of 6 points.

This is not fair. Ok, so he lost two more games, but not against a leggitimate opponent. All games against illegal and unfair and illegintimate entrants should not count.

Not really a valid complaint. Most tournaments held for various county, state, and national championships allow people from other areas to enter. Winners of titles are the highest-scoring players who fulfil the residency requirements. Have a look at the Commonwealth Championships (which had 5 or 6 russians, and various other non-eligible players), or the various national championships that allow foreigners to play - Rafe Martyn is in this years British Championship, for example, and to the best of my knowledge he is Belgian.

As long as the playing field for everyone is level, there is no problem.
  14. Joined
    03 Feb '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '04 20:20
    Yes, but the rules of those tourneys permit those players to participate.

The Continental tournaments on here DO NOT. plain and simple.
  15. Melbourne
    Moves
    06 Jun '04 15:10
    Not sure if it has been posted anywhere else, but can we expand the continent tournaments into an RHP World Cup? Surely that would be the ultimate tournament crown. We would probably only need to run it once every 4 years. Opinions?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree