Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

1. Subscriber noxidjkram
    Anal(yst) Programmer
    12 Feb '06 22:50
    I'm entered in the February tourney for 1400 - 1449, and i notice another entrant is a player who is normally an 1800ish rating but has had a drop lately.

I feel this sort of entry is a little unfair, as it means genuine players ranked in this band like me have no real chance of winning any more. It taints the tourney for me a little...

Thoughts anyone?

M
  2. Standard member Aiko
    Nearing 200000...!
    13 Feb '06 00:10 / 1 edit
    Send that person a message to leave the tournament. I did in my band. Although that person did not agree with me to leave the tournament, he / she still left the tournament to those not originally rated 1800.

Hmmm, I just noticed we are talking about the same person. Just message crusoe to leave and I think he / she will. But I bet the ones in February 06 Grouped Banded 1450-1499 will then start to complain...
  3. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    13 Feb '06 11:30
    crusoe left another tourney after I cmplaint, thiugh he stated that it was his good right to eneter.

There are other cases around.... Introduce tournament moderators! NOW!
  4. 13 Feb '06 18:29
    I am in the 1249 and under banded for February and we have a player who was provisional at he sign up and now is over 1600 which means that no one in that draw has a chance which sort of defeats the reason to play a banded tournament. If he knew that his rating was going to be in the 1600 then I feel he should be honorable and not enter. Give us little guys a chance.
  5. Subscriber Peakite On Vacation
    Sais
    13 Feb '06 18:41
    Surely provisional players shouldn't be in banded tournaments at all, no one, themselves included, knows how well they can play.

I do have to agree with Ponderable, someone to check these tournamnets before starting would be good. The winners may in many cases rise above the level (as I've done myself), but they shouldn't be proven to have ever played significantly above the level beforehand. Having lots of close groups, not knowing who might win a game, that dropping a few points doesn't spell the end and most players having a chance of preogression is what these should be about.
  6. 13 Feb '06 20:02
    Maybe they could be organised to automatically move people into the correct tournament until the moment it starts.
  7. Standard member MIODude
    me, not you
    13 Feb '06 22:41 / 1 edit
    provisional players are not allowed to be in banded tournaments.. I'm surprised he was able to enter at all.

I hope Russ clears out all the people that are higher than the band dictates.. i was going to enter one of the banded tournaments, but won't until the ones that are higher than the band are removed.. there are a couple within each banded tournament it seems
  8. Standard member abejnood
    Independant Thinker
    14 Feb '06 00:41
    Well... I know it isn't fair to you, because obviously his rating is higher and he is going to make the tourney much harder.

But look from his point of veiw: his rating took a sudden plunge (which I doubt that he really wanted to happen, who does?) and now suddenly, his rating isn't high enough to enter the tourney that he wants to enter, his 1800 banded tourney (in this case), and he finds that he can only enter a lower rated tourney. Well, he wants to enter a tourney, it's not fair to him: he paid his subscription money and now he wants to enter a tourney, but when he does, he is being bombarded by complaints, gets kicked out, and now he's tourneyless. Everyone else is happy: he's not in the tourney. But he's not: he's not in the tourney, I think that he should be allowed to enter his 1800, and have his highest rating be the guidline to enter tourneys.
  9. Standard member Gatecrasher
    Whale watching
    14 Feb '06 01:36
    Originally posted by abejnood
    Well... I know it isn't fair to you, because obviously his rating is higher and he is going to make the tourney much harder.

But look from his point of veiw: his rating took a sudden plunge (which I doubt that he really wanted to happen, who does?) and now suddenly, his rating isn't high enough to enter the tourney that he wants to enter, his 1800 bande ...[text shortened]... allowed to enter his 1800, and have his highest rating be the guidline to enter tourneys.
    Basically, you are saying that for tournament purposes there should be a ratings floor based on some percentage (say 85 or 90) of a player's highest ever rating. It is a simple, elegant solution that will solve this endless debate once and for all.
  10. Standard member MIODude
    me, not you
    14 Feb '06 02:01

But look from his point of veiw: his rating took a sudden plunge (which I doubt that he really wanted to happen, who does?) and now suddenly, his rating isn't high enough to enter the tourney that he wants to enter, his 1800 bande ...[text shortened]... allowed to enter his 1800, and have his highest rating be the guidline to enter tourneys.
    There are non-banded tournaments still
  11. 14 Feb '06 02:38
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Basically, you are saying that for tournament purposes there should be a ratings floor based on some percentage (say 85 or 90) of a player's highest ever rating. It is a simple, elegant solution that will solve this endless debate once and for all.
    Won't solve the problem

How do you work out how many points the player gets for winning if their rating is currently 1200, but true rating is nearer 1800 and they beat someone rated at 1750?

This will be the reason that nothing is done about the massive rating fluctuations of some players who then "muck about" playing in rated tourneys far below their true levels.
  12. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    14 Feb '06 12:45
    Well... [text shortened] Everyone else is happy: he's not in the tourney. But he's not: he's not in the tourney, I think that he should be allowed to enter his 1800, and have his highest rating be the guidline to enter tourneys.
    In fact I pointed crusoe to the unbanded tourneys, which he didn't enter, I don't know why.
  13. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    14 Feb '06 12:47
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    As I understand the solution would be to open bands to the downside. ONly that a few jerks would enter tourneys waaaaay over their possibilities and hinder the others....

I don't think that there is an elegant easy to implemnet method. This is why I repeat the request for Tournament moderators.
  14. 14 Feb '06 17:30
    There has been a suggestion in other threads to ease this problem. Simply extend the highest grade in the past 30 days to something like 90 or 180 days. This will stop existing members from dropping down to enter tournaments (unless they´re very very patient). Sadly it doesn´t stop new members from entering tournaments on their way up the rankings.
  15. Standard member blackmanrook
    defender of the caro
    14 Feb '06 19:10
    Originally posted by irax
    There has been a suggestion in other threads to ease this problem. Simply extend the highest grade in the past 30 days to something like 90 or 180 days. This will stop existing members from dropping down to enter tournaments (unless they´re very very patient). Sadly it doesn´t stop new members from entering tournaments on their way up the rankings.
    I was a positional player 10-13days ago and I been here for 14-15days and I am a chess addict although I came out of provisional status swiftly many other players do not have the drive or time to do so. My idea is to let provisional players and player under 30days join any band they want. That would have stop me from joining the lower bands on my way up to my current rating. I would have just join the top one. Instead I joined all the ones on my way up because they take so long to start and I am on a quest for a min of 200games in progress which is super hard to do while trying to keep some loyality to my clan and the Dune who took me in and showed me the ropes. I kinda feel bad but I lost to people in every band I am in and do not feel it will be a easy task to win any band nor do I expect to. I just want to play and learn from my mistakes. No one good accept open invites from lower rated players like my self so should I not play until the higher players agree to play me? why should I suffer because of my rating lag.