1. Joined
    18 Apr '04
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 02:40
    I think some players just get frustrated waiting for a tourney to begin, and wind up saying I'll just withdraw from this and sign for that. The problem with waiting for to long for a tourney to start is that the one you did'nt withdraw from finally starts and low and behold the player is bogged down with too many games... quality of game play suffers...and then the question of whether or not the rating system is a true gage of a players strength. Why would a player lose 50 games in a row just to drop his rating enough so that he would be able to win a lower rated tourney. By the time the tourney is over, that same player is rated 300 points over everyone else that has entered the same tournament. Anyone find any flaws in my logic? Please respond...I'm only rated around 1500, so there should be some answers out there....luke
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 04:41
    Originally posted by eluuk
    I think some players just get frustrated waiting for a tourney to begin, and wind up saying I'll just withdraw from this and sign for that. The problem with waiting for to long for a tourney to start is that the one you did'nt withdraw from finally starts and low and behold the player is bogged down with too many games... quality of game play suffers...and th ...[text shortened]... lease respond...I'm only rated around 1500, so there should be some answers out there....luke
    I can't see any logic there at all.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 14:211 edit
    May I edit a bit in your text, Luke, so that even the former Master of Sarcasm can see the various points:

Originally posted by eluuk
    I think some players just get frustrated waiting for a tourney to begin, and wind up saying I'll just withdraw from this and sign for that.

comment: The frustration about non-starting tournament has been raised previously. And sometimes met with sympathy.

The problem with waiting for to long for a tourney to start is that the one you did'nt withdraw from finally starts and low and behold the player is bogged down with too many games... quality of game play suffers...

This point has also been raised in the forums. Some people evidently suffer from playing to many concurrent games

and then the question of whether or not the rating system is a true gauge of a players strength.

The former effect can be seen in the rating. The difficulty of strength gauging is discussed. This is not the only point, as is seen by the next point, which is connected by association:

Why would a player lose 50 games in a row just to drop his rating enough so that he would be able to win a lower rated tourney.

everlasting mystery

By the time the tourney is over, that same player is rated 300 points over everyone else that has entered the same tournament.

Yes. But a persons' rating should rise by a tournament win anyway. It is bitter if the person in question has been known as being superior beforehand.

Anyone find any flaws in my logic? Please respond...I'm only rated around 1500, so there should be some answers out there....luke

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree