1. Joined
    05 Oct '09
    Moves
    17 Feb '10 16:46
    It is bad etiquette, when looking for a player to challenge on a ladder, to pick the player that's within range with the lowest rating? I guess the question is, how competitive are people when it comes to their progress on the ladder? Do they try to maximize their progress on the ladder, or do they look for the most challenging games? It's set up as a ladder for a reason, you're supposed to be trying to get to the top, right?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '10 16:51
    Originally posted by Udo Hoerhold
    It is bad etiquette, when looking for a player to challenge on a ladder, to pick the player that's within range with the lowest rating? I guess the question is, how competitive are people when it comes to their progress on the ladder? Do they try to maximize their progress on the ladder, or do they look for the most challenging games? It's set up as a ladder for a reason, you're supposed to be trying to get to the top, right?
    I cannot se the bad therein. Chose freely the one which suits you best, both in playing speed, rating level, or anything.
    If you see someone you want to play with, but is occupied at the moment. Wait him out if you see that there is only a few moves left.
    The ladder is all about to optimise your climbing speed.
  3. Joined
    19 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '10 17:03
    Of course its not bad etiquette. The aim is to get to the top. If they are in range then you can challenge. Why make it harder by challenging someone rated much higher than yourself. If you want that sort of practice then it is better to meet them in a tournament.
  4. Joined
    05 Oct '09
    Moves
    17 Feb '10 17:54
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm new to this, so I didn't want to break any normal customs.
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 02:09
    Hell no, pick on the easiest every time.

However watch that it doesn't backfire. I thought I had an easy rise in the 1 day ladder when I was "lucky" enough to find an opponent who appeared to have stopped playing. I quickly jumped on the available game.

However, with just 7 hours and 11 minutes of their 8 days maximum alloted time, did they not come back to the site and start moving 😠

Ah well I will just have to beat them fair and square to advance up the ladder.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 22:06
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Hell no, pick on the easiest every time.

However watch that it doesn't backfire. I thought I had an easy rise in the 1 day ladder when I was "lucky" enough to find an opponent who appeared to have stopped playing. I quickly jumped on the available game.

However, with just 7 hours and 11 minutes of their 8 days maximum alloted time, did they no ...[text shortened]... moving 😠

Ah well I will just have to beat them fair and square to advance up the ladder.
    This is why "one day" anything is a joke. Most wins are cheap timeouts.
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Feb '10 14:00
    The optimum strategy is to pcik a player who you will beat, but who is beating someone higher up, outside your range, thus you can adavmnace far faster. And yes the idea of the ladder is to get a lot of easy wins until you get to your true range and then be beaten regularly by the big guns who are just breezng through 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree