1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Jun '11 12:031 edit
    For all entrants that entered one of the series of May 2011 One Zero Split tournaments that experienced a dramatic and unexpected increase in their game load, we can only apologies and hope you can play out your games.

The system has not changed, and although not a glitch as such - everything worked as normal – clearly the tournaments were not in the format everyone expected.

To summarise what happened, the split groups were tightly banded which resulted in the maximum entrants not being hit for many of the tournaments. Once 14 days pass with the minimum number of entrants exceeded, the tournament will start. In this case, many of the May 2011 One Zero Split tournaments did not hit the required number of entrants for the normal split to occur, and one large group was created. In some tournaments, it was very close to the required 24, which made the resulting group much larger than intended.

Had the minimum number of entrants been set to match the required number, this problem would have been avoided.

The remaining unstarted tournaments now have had their parameters modified.
  2. Joined
    13 Jun '10
    Moves
    03 Jun '11 23:19
    Thanks for the explanation - fortunately I was not in one of those groups!
    Good luck to the bods with 40+ 1/0 games...

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, lol
  3. Joined
    09 Sep '07
    Moves
    04 Jun '11 04:53
    thanks for the explanation - I am fairly new to the site and having entered two tournaments am trying to wade through a multitude of games ... in future , for the new players out there when you enter a particular tournament -are you put in smaller groups - if so , could you explain what the set up should of been - would you traditionally play 4-6 games per round , with the winners advancing

Thanks
  4. Joined
    09 Sep '07
    Moves
    04 Jun '11 19:11
    Could you please explain where you see the format of each tournament - whether you are playing 4 people within a group or are playing 50 people at one time
  5. Joined
    13 Jun '10
    Moves
    05 Jun '11 05:50
    Originally posted by chicagod95
    Could you please explain where you see the format of each tournament - whether you are playing 4 people within a group or are playing 50 people at one time
    In the tournament May 2011 One Zero Split I 1500-1525, which you are playing in, when you are looking at the grid with all the players arranged with the games, the description says 2 Groups. Winners play off. No timebank.

So you are right you can't seem to tell after the fact.

But if you look in the tournament list (link from the menu bar), or in the My Active tournament list, you can see that there are 3 columns over on the right with players min, max and group size.

The group size for the one you entered was 12. (which would be 22 concurrent games)
    This is bad enough, however, Russ's explanation is saying that the tournaments kicked off before they had enough players for 2 groups (24 players) - hence the single large group.

You can see other tournaments with group size 2 and 3 and 4 etc, so they are the ones to look for perhaps in the future. I had another post in the forum asking for ideas on how to play these large groups - but not too much response yet
  6. Joined
    09 Sep '07
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 03:23
    Thanks for the guidance and clear explanation -I erroneously entered two tournaments and was confronted with over 80 games - simply too much
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 15:29
    Thanks for the guidance and clear explanation -I erroneously entered two tournaments and was confronted with over 80 games - simply too much
    if you resign a game without playing a move you don't lose any rating points, it does show in your stats, a small price to pay when you've over loaded with games though.
  8. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    08 Jun '11 12:25
    😕

You only have 45 games in progress.
  9. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    08 Jun '11 12:58
    Originally posted by adramforall
    😕

You only have 45 games in progress.
    Since you seem so interested I looked up the games:

two tournaments entered Tournament 11813 with 2*17 games (34 in sum) and Tournament 11812 with 2*21 (42 in sum).

So the player had 76 new games in their inbox. (roughly 80)

They finished 2 at 1st of June, 7 at 2nd, 4 at 3rd, 6 each 4th to 6th, 8 on 7th (and 2 on 8th), so the actual number is nicely accounted for.
  10. Standard memberPureRWandB
    CCC Club Leader
    Denver, CO
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 23:01
    If the tournament ends, what happens if there is a tie?
    Tournament 11808
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 08:19
    Another playoff round. I once played the same opponent for 3 tiebreakers before one of us finally got the pair of games!
  12. Standard memberPureRWandB
    CCC Club Leader
    Denver, CO
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 21:44
    Kewpie, how did it turn out... did you take it all?
  13. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    26 Jul '11 19:09
    Originally posted by PureRWandB
    😲
  14. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    26 Jul '11 20:53
    Originally posted by PureRWandB
    Cool avatar

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree