1. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 08:073 edits
    dcpk User 11476 has entered this tournament.
    I understand that it was the only one he could enter, but he's a strong 1800+ player with a low current rating.

Banded tournaments are there to give everyone a fair chance. What chance do I and probably all the others in the tourney have against him?

I have whined about and proposed different solutions to this problem before but it never gets discussed enough.
    I really want to win a bloody tournament and these banded ones are my only realistic chance, but now we have a dude in there who outclasses all the others because he got TO or resigned all his games a while back.
    This is BS!
  2. Behind you...
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 09:38
    Originally posted by Crowley
    [b]dcpk User 11476 has entered this tournament.
    I understand that it was the only one he could enter, but he's a strong 1800+ player with a low current rating.

Banded tournaments are there to give everyone a fair chance. What chance do I and probably all the others in the tourney have against him?

I have whined about and proposed differe ...[text shortened]... outclasses all the others because he got TO or resigned all his games a while back.
    This is BS![/b]
    I believe there's a few threads in the Site Ideas forum being tossed around about ratings floors and things of that nature. Might want to check out those and share your points there. Besides that, let's just not rekindle this fire... the argument never goes anywhere.

-Kev
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 11:59
    [b]dcpk User 11476 has entered this tournament.

I have whined about and proposed differe ...[text shortened]... outclasses all the others because he got TO or resigned all his games a while back.
    This is BS![/b]
    Just checked with Russ a while back. He says at this moment there is nothing that can be done.
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 14:01
    Originally posted by seraphimvulture
    I believe there's a few threads in the Site Ideas forum being tossed around about ratings floors and things of that nature. Might want to check out those and share your points there. Besides that, let's just not rekindle this fire... the argument never goes anywhere.

-Kev
    I've posted in every thread about rating floors etc. but no-one seems to want to do anything about it.
    I will keep on whining until something gets done.

I will re-iterate:
    Banded tournaments are there to give everyone a shot at a tourney victory.
    If someone plays in a tournament that shouldn't be there it's wrong - that's the bottom line.
    I don't care that this person has a low rating at the moment, I think it's not honorable to enter a tournament below your ability, but I'm not going to make a big deal out of him entering it.

He wants to play in a tournament and this is the only on he can enter.
    He is not at fault, the system is flawed and something needs be done.
    ASAP
  5. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 15:431 edit

ASAP
    I agree. I think the simplest approach is to replace the Highest Rating in the last 30 days with a "Tournament Rating", which would be something like:

max(Current Rating, 0.85*Highest ever rating)

and then use this as the qualifying rating for tournaments. It is programmatically simple and should require no more server resources than the current 30 day rating. Obviously, 0.85 is arbitrary, but it equates to 150 points at 1000, and 300 points at 2000, which seems reasonable.

As an example if your rating was ever 2000, you are limited to rating controlled tournament of at least 1700+, but even if your rating has dropped below 1700, you will still qualify for 1700+ tournaments.

So while this would be fair for Crowley & Co, it would also be fair for dcpk & Co.
  6. Standard memberWheely
    Instant Buzz
    C#minor
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 21:50
    I've posted in every thread about rating floors etc. but no-one seems to want to do anything about it.
    I will keep on whining until something gets done.

I will re-iterate:
    Banded tournaments are there to give everyone a shot at a tourney victory.
    If someone plays in a tournament that shouldn't be there it's wrong - that's the bottom line.
    I don' ...[text shortened]... ly on he can enter.
    ASAP
    I'm in that band of that tourney too. I decided I'd just resign both my games against him if I come up against him. It's not that I don't want to play highly rated players, I have been thrashed by players more highly rated than he has been but I don't really want to play someone of that mentality.
  7. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    04 Aug '05 09:35
    Have you kindly asked the person to leave the tournament (if not already started)? I have asked one person to leave the list of a banded tournament because he / she used to have a much higher rating (although not as high as this person). He / she was lucky enough reasonable to leave this particular tournament, which was very nice.
  8. Brisbane, Australia
    Moves
    04 Aug '05 09:42
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    I agree. I think the simplest approach is to replace the Highest Rating in the last 30 days with a "Tournament Rating", which would be something like:

and then use this as the qualifying rating for tournaments. It is programmatically simple and should require no more server resources than the c ...[text shortened]... naments.

So while this would be fair for Crowley & Co, it would also be fair for dcpk & Co.
    Somethings wrong...what if people highest rating (like me) was the p1200 rating? Then people would get hugely disadvantaged anyway, though in the opposite fashion Crowley pointed out.
  9. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    04 Aug '05 14:19
    Originally posted by D43M0N
    Somethings wrong...what if people highest rating (like me) was the p1200 rating? Then people would get hugely disadvantaged anyway, though in the opposite fashion Crowley pointed out.
    Simple solution: don't include provisional ratings in determining the highest rating.
  10. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 13:32
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher

and then use this as the qualifying rating for tournaments. It is programmatically simple and should require no more server resources than the c ...[text shortened]... naments.

Good solution, simple and it should be effective.

I still believe we need a better rating system, but this should do for tournaments.
  11. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 13:35
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Have you kindly asked the person to leave the tournament (if not already started)? I have asked one person to leave the list of a banded tournament because he / she used to have a much higher rating (although not as high as this person). He / she was lucky enough reasonable to leave this particular tournament, which was very nice.
    I shouldn't have to - that's my point.

I don't want to go through everyone's ratings in every tourney I play to check if they 'shouldn't be there'.

The system is only allowing him to enter this tourney so we need a change in how we determine elegibility for banded tournaments.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree