Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. Standard member rhb
    Ginger Scum
    17 May '05 18:59
    one of the players in here had a rating of 1500+ at xmas and went down to 900ish due to timeouts. Just thought it should be known, as it makes for an unfair tournie (i read in the past).

    My first and last time as 'snitch'.

    rhb
  2. Standard member jay D
    Jay D
    18 May '05 02:49
    Originally posted by rhb
    one of the players in here had a rating of 1500+ at xmas and went down to 900ish due to timeouts. Just thought it should be known, as it makes for an unfair tournie (i read in the past).

    My first and last time as 'snitch'.

    rhb
    should this be allowed, I know that it will be hard to moderate, but really defeats the point of them. It would be different if you had a fluxuating, but its obvious that there just there for the easy win...
  3. Standard member jay D
    Jay D
    18 May '05 02:57
    I just had a look at this guy, im sorry if people disagree, but Im totally in favour for people entering tourni and whilst in that tourni their rating improves, good on them. But for the people who enter one knowing that they ARE a much better player than that particular band, is very unethical.

    I think this site provides sufficient tournaments and opportunities for people to play for trophies that this is not necessary. It would actually be interesting to see if there is anything that could be done.
    What do the MODS think??

    If I worng I'll fully accept your advice, but there are extraordinary exceptions when someone has been on hols but this is obviously a trend...
  4. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    18 May '05 05:43
    Which person are you talking about? Both dfm65 and tidlum were rated above 1400 near the beginning of the year.
  5. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    18 May '05 08:27
    The real problem is that there is simply no provision for a "descending " rated player ( for whatever reason ) to nominate in a higher band. So don't take it out on the player as all she/he wants to do is to play chess somewhere. Direct all the hostility to RHP admin.

    They and only them can fix it.

    skeeter
  6. Standard member nickybutt
    Lost
    18 May '05 09:19
    Originally posted by skeeter
    The real problem is that there is simply no provision for a "descending " rated player ( for whatever reason ) to nominate in a higher band. So don't take it out on the player as all she/he wants to do is to play chess somewhere. Direct all the hostility to RHP admin.

    They and only them can fix it.

    skeeter
    I agree. There has been lots of examples of players abusing the banded tournaments, but all this would stop if the RHP admins wanted to stop it. There has been many good ideas how to stop it.
    COME ON RUSS!! Do something about it!!
  7. Standard member MIODude
    me, not you
    18 May '05 12:26
    I disagree. We shouldn't blame the admins when people exploit loopholes. Is it now morally correct to do anything you can get away with?
  8. Standard member rhb
    Ginger Scum
    18 May '05 18:52
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Which person are you talking about? Both dfm65 and tidlum were rated above 1400 near the beginning of the year.
    I only saw one of them when I looked through. It doesn't matter who did it, I just thought I'd mention it as it puts a slight bias on the chances of winning a tournament which has been setup due to peoples desire to have a fair chance.

    re posts that follow - I agree it is a morale issue, and as such the player(s) concerned should not spoil it for those entering in good faith.
  9. Standard member nickybutt
    Lost
    18 May '05 19:35
    Of course in an ideal world it would be easier if people just did the right thing. But alas this is not an ideal world, and since there seems to be tools to prevent this situation, I think it is RHP admin's responibility to make sure this doesn't happen again.
  10. 18 May '05 23:16
    BTW, we only need one more person to join the 1-1099 tourney...hurry up!

    *impatient*
  11. 24 May '05 10:51
    I desperately wanted to enter this tournament, but, as usual, I missed out by a day.