1. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    12 Nov '05 03:51
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Yes. I was using the term to indicate that the Cray's processing speed was very fast. Faster than the speed of light which is when blue shift occurs. Probably a bad asimilie.(sp?)

But it is nice to see that all the efforts from the sciences fac at CU is not completely wasted on you Xanth.

skeeter
    Blue Shift would not occur at the speed of light. Blue shift would occur when an object is moving at a (reasonable) fraction of the speed of light. The same way as you don't get sound based Doppler shift when the object is moving at the speed of sound.
    The word is simile but it isn't the right word. You were looking for metaphor.
    If it was an attempted metaphor then why blue and not red? Red (moving away) is by far the most common of the two terms.
  2. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '05 04:10
    It was always my understanding that as an object approached light speed it became blue shifted and as it left light speed it became red shifted . Ah well . No substitute for a University education and I always get the metaphor/simile wrong (and the "a" was a typo).

Score : Xanth 2 ; skeeter zip.

skeeter

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree