1. Joined
    27 Nov '07
    Moves
    31 Jul '11 15:30
    As much as I enjoy the playing in the tournaments, I must say that they are quite plainly named.
    Now chess is not a game of bright colours and rapid action, as compared to pc games etc. But nevertheless, it does not have to be staid and stuffy.

How about giving the tournaments exciting and meaningful sounding titles?
    Some ideas I have thought of.
    Every year you have the grand daddy of tournaments, The RHP Golden King.
    This would be an annual RHP Grand Open type tournament, where anybody who saw you had such a title, accompanied of course with a suitable logo “medal”, would know that for that year at least, you where the best on RHP.

Also there are no second and third place acknowledgements for any of the existing challenges.
    How about having a Banded 1000 -1150 Golden Challenge, and then for the runners up (players who reached the quarter finals) you can have a run off and call it the Banded 1000 -1150 Silver Challenge, and again for Bronze. All these would of course have suitable logo “medals” you would display in your profile.
    I do feel that more exciting sounding “prizes” would go a long way in generating more intense in tournaments.
    The only colours in chess do not have to be just black and white.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 12:47
    I think this belongs rather to "Site Ideas"
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 23:17
    Originally posted by Renovatio
    As much as I enjoy the playing in the tournaments, I must say that they are quite plainly named.
    Now chess is not a game of bright colours and rapid action, as compared to pc games etc. But nevertheless, it does not have to be staid and stuffy.

How about giving the tournaments exciting and meaningful sounding titles?
    Some ideas I have thought of.
    ...[text shortened]... more intense in tournaments.
    The only colours in chess do not have to be just black and white.
    You make legitimate points and it may could help with marketing of tournaments.

As for me, however, I think I get just as much pleasure winning a stuffy black and white tournament having a bland name. (Of course, I have only won two tournaments, so haven't had that pleasurable content feeling much.) I do notice there is trophy next to my user ID at the top of the completed tournament bracket.
  4. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 16:37
    Take a look at the club Players League - we have special names for our tournaments. Also we have a spirit for Series of tournaments, where you can collect points over some tournaments, the ranking are listed in our forum.

So we have for example a bond Series or a Bruce Willis Series and also a Harry Potter Series 🙂
  5. Joined
    27 Nov '07
    Moves
    08 Aug '11 03:45
    Originally posted by Johannes Goethe
    Take a look at the club Players League - we have special names for our tournaments. Also we have a spirit for Series of tournaments, where you can collect points over some tournaments, the ranking are listed in our forum.

So we have for example a bond Series or a Bruce Willis Series and also a Harry Potter Series 🙂
    Thanks bud, that is more like what I was wanting.
    Had a look at the tournaments available there, but all the tournaments there are open to all club members regardless of ranking, the lesser ranked competitors will never stand a chance of winning.
    I belong to a club that is active with tournaments of the same structure, I always get thrashed, kind of depressing.
    The only tournaments available in which we play on a level playing field are the main RHP ones.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree