1. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 17:23
    Can we make it a condition of entry into a tournament that you have fewer than X amount of games? If some people want to play people that are playing 1000+ games at a time then they should be able to - but if I would prefer not to play someone like that then shouldn't I be able to enter tournaments with like-minded people?
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    21 Apr '09 12:14
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Can we make it a condition of entry into a tournament that you have fewer than X amount of games? If some people want to play people that are playing 1000+ games at a time then they should be able to - but if I would prefer not to play someone like that then shouldn't I be able to enter tournaments with like-minded people?
    If the player with 1000+ games does not move within the agreed time frame then time them out.

Otherwise they are playing the same as the other players who enter.

What do you want next, a player who enters a 7/7 tournament and only moves once every 7 days (as allowed) to be prevented from entering because you move every 3 days?
  3. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    21 Apr '09 16:09
    I'm not asking to change the way others play. I just want to limit my opponents to those who play in a similar way to me. You are within your rights to follow the rules. I just asking for the right to be more selective for myself. I would not enter a 7/7 tournament because I know from the description that it would not suit me. Likewise, if a 1/0 tournament said "entry allowed for those playing 1000+ games" then I would not enter that tournament. On the other hand I might consider a 3/7 tournament if it said "entry not allowed for players with 150+ games."
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    22 Apr '09 11:52
    I'm not asking to change the way others play. I just want to limit my opponents to those who play in a similar way to me. You are within your rights to follow the rules. I just asking for the right to be more selective for myself. I would not enter a 7/7 tournament because I know from the description that it would not suit me. Likewise, if a 1/0 tou ...[text shortened]... might consider a 3/7 tournament if it said "entry not allowed for players with 150+ games."
    😕

I don't understand why does the gameload of your opponents matters.

If I join a 1/0 tournament then I know I have to move at least once per day in these games.

If I join a 3/0 tournament then I know I have to move at least once every 3 days in these games.

The fact that I may have a gameload of 6, 400 or 2000 games does not change this.

I move within the time limits or risk being timed out.

Which of the following players would you prefer to play in a 3/0 tournament if you are online every day.

Player A has 6 games on the go and only moves once every 3 days

Player B with 1,000 games on the go but makes an average of 500 moves per day.
  5. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    22 Apr '09 15:371 edit
    Player A without a doubt. That is exactly my point. I am not complaining about people moving slowly. I am complaining about superficiality. If I want superficial play I wouldn't be on this site - I would be on another site playing blitz. I appreciate that even the number of active games is not an exact determinate. If I am playing a Grandmaster that is playing 1000+ games then I expect that to me his play would most likely NOT appear to be superficial but if I'm playing people 300 points either way of MY rating I doubt very much whether their play can be at a decent standard for 1000+ games. Also, it should be apparent that a player with 1000+ games is not going to be able to keep up with a move a day - even at a minute per move that leaves only only a little more than 7 hours to sleep, eat and obtain the necessaries to continue living. As I see it there are 2 ways to cheat here - you can not use your own mind or you can overload yourself to the point where you can't even use your own mind - either way you're wasting my time.
  6. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    22 Apr '09 17:00
    Player A without a doubt. That is exactly my point. I am not complaining about people moving slowly. I am complaining about superficiality. If I want superficial play I wouldn't be on this site - I would be on another site playing blitz. I appreciate that even the number of active games is not an exact determinate.
    The rating system appropriates strength, and is the best indicator of playing strength. No rating system is perfect but the one on this site is good enough.

No complaints about the strength of play of my opponents rated higher than 1900.

Of course even very high rated players may have bad misconceptions on evaluations of some positions or play in an unappealing style, but still some these players can play superior chess.
  7. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    22 Apr '09 17:31
    Please name the plethora of players who are playing over 1000 games. I play over 600 and have won more tourneys than anyone.
  8. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    22 Apr '09 18:15
    You're certainly an exception! But quite frankly, for a player of your class I don't consider 600+ to be an impossible load. What is your historic maximum? Do you work? (If I'm not being too nosy!) Would you play 3000+ games at the same level and without timing out?

However! (as I've tried to make clear.) I have no problem with someone playing the way they want - I'm just asking whether the site can help me decide whether I want to play someone playing that way.
  9. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    22 Apr '09 19:59
    Take a look at the player tables. There are quite a few players with ratings 1700+ making 4,000+ moves per month who may consider their play better than superficial.

I think it will be unlikely that your wishes would be met, however you may wish to start a thread in Site Ideas to see if there is any support and if the site would take your thoughts on board.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/threadlist.php?subject=Site_Ideas&forumid=20

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree