1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Jan '04 16:56
    We need a tournament with a 3 day timeout and a 14 day time bank. I might be tempted to join one again with that format.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 Jan '04 18:55
    Ok, I will make that happen for you.

-Russ
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Jan '04 19:36
    Originally posted by Russ
    Ok, I will make that happen for you.

-Russ
    Excellent. I was the second one in.
  4. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    08 Jan '04 01:101 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    We need a tournament with a 3 day timeout and a 14 day time bank. I might be tempted to join one again with that format.
    We need a tournament with a 3 day timeout and a 14 day time bank, 96 or 108 players and groupsize 12. I might be tempted to join one again with that format.

edit ; feeling a bit cheeky 😀
  5. Standard membera442
    Planet Football
    London Town
    Moves
    08 Jan '04 11:16
    Originally posted by flexmore
    We need a tournament with a 3 day timeout and a 14 day time bank, 96 or 108 players and groupsize 12. I might be tempted to join one again with that format.

edit ; feeling a bit cheeky 😀
    Maybe what we need is to get some of the other tounament finshed with first. out of 88 listed, only 18 finished and some still going since 2002.

At the moment, it seems quantity rather than quality is the order of the day.

😠
  6. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    08 Jan '04 11:45
    Of the 18 tournaments that have finished, 12 were 1 day time-outs, and the other 6 were 3 day TO's. And all had a small number of perticipants, typically 12 or 16.
    The tournaments that are in progress which use 7 day or longer TOs and have 100+ participants will take years to complete.

So we need lots of small tournaments, rather than a few big tournaments.

Now we have timebanks, it makes sense to use them in conjuction with shorter time-outs. I think tournaments with 1 or 3 day TO's and a generous timebank (at least 14 days) should become the norm.

Dave
  7. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    08 Jan '04 12:482 edits
    for a tournament to finish quickly, it needs short time limits and a large group size.

as 442 rightly points out there are also too many tournaments, so we need larger tournaments.

so why not 96 players, 12 group size (two rounds)

or even 960 players, 12 group size ( only three rounds) but would require very fast timeouts for those 81 move games that will appear in the first round.

another trick to make them quicker is to have the second round begin as soon as the first is beyond doubt.

8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Jan '04 14:33
    What difference does it make how many tournaments there are as long as they finish in a timely fashion? I agree with Tebb that a 1 day timeout with a 28 day timebank should be the standard tournament format. Once in a while they could throw in a tournament with a longer timeout to appease the semi-comatose slowpokes around here.
  9. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    08 Jan '04 16:19
    I agree with the "smaller" tours with a time-out of one or three days with the 28 days timebank. I would also like to see some different tours created for the different "ratinggroups". In most tours its almost impossible for a low rater, such as myself, to ever progress in a tour. For players like myself the Xmas and New Year tours with three different ratinggroups are excellent.
  10. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    08 Jan '04 21:34
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    Of the 18 tournaments that have finished, 12 were 1 day time-outs, and the other 6 were 3 day TO's. And all had a small number of perticipants, typically 12 or 16.
    The tournaments that are in progress which use 7 day or longer TOs and have 100+ participants will take years to complete.

So we need lots of small tournaments, rather than a few big to ...[text shortened]... with 1 or 3 day TO's and a generous timebank (at least 14 days) should become the norm.

Dave
    Agree completely. The speeding up of tournaments was one of our prime motivations behind introducing the timebank.

This will definately start to happen...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree