p1200

p1200

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
22 Apr 04
1 edit

Russ...

There's quite a bit of discontent that p1200 players, who may be very strong, can enter rating-restricted tournamants. But on the other hand, you have to encourage new pawn stars, by letting them play tournaments.

At the moment there is a p1200 entered into a rookie tournament (max 1250), who has 4 wins out of 4 against decent opponents, and would normally be rated +-1650. Clearly that is unfair.

Recently, you changed the entry requirements so that the maximum rating over the past 30 days is used rather than the official rating. Since the official rating is not used anyway, why not use the undamped rating of new players even if fewer than 5 games have been played in order to assess their entitlement to enter tournaments. Once 5 games have been played, then revert back to the current method.

In other words, for tournament entry, the rating should not be held at 1200 until 5 games have been played. The 30 day max rating used to assess tournament eligibility should start reflecting the players strength after their first game.

Hope that makes sense. 🙄

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
22 Apr 04

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
Russ...

There's quite a bit of discontent that p1200 players, who may be very strong, can enter rating-restricted tournamants. But on the other hand, you have to encourage new pawn stars, by letting them play tournaments.

At the moment there is a p1200 entered into a rookie tournament (max 1250), who has 4 wins out of 4 against decent opponents, ...[text shortened]... hould start reflecting the players strength after their first game.

Hope that makes sense. 🙄
unfortunately it might let a future 1400 player enter a 1900+ tournament too because those early ratings go crazy

M

Moves
23 Apr 04

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
Russ...

At the moment there is a p1200 entered into a rookie tournament (max 1250), who has 4 wins out of 4 against decent opponents, ...[text shortened]... hould start reflecting the players strength after their first game.

Hope that makes sense. 🙄
Hi Gatecrasher,

I couldn't agree more.

Simple solution...

A player with a provisional rating should be allowed to enter 'open' tournaments (any rating), but NOT 'open' tournaments (specific ratings).

Problem solved 🙂

Cheers,

Mark

M

Moves
23 Apr 04

Allow me to correct myself 🙂

A player with a provisional rating should be allowed to enter 'open' tournaments (any rating), but NOT 'closed' tournaments (specific ratings).

Cheers,

MArk

P

Virginia

Moves
23 Apr 04

I agree completely, though I might just make it true for provisional 1200s to start with.

T

Moves
23 Apr 04

Play me cause you'll never win