1. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 02:19
    I'm relatively new to tournaments, and sorry if this has been asked before...

What's to prevent a long drawn out game from holding up a tournament progressing to the next round? Do the admins intervene?

I'm just wondering what's to prevent two players trying to play out the longest possible game while using most of their time for each move... could go on for years in theory.
  2. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 02:30
    Originally posted by Varenka
    What's to prevent a long drawn out game from holding up a tournament progressing to the next round? Do the admins intervene?

I'm just wondering what's to prevent two players trying to play out the longest possible game while using most of their time for each move... could go on for years in theory.
    There's nothing to prevent it from happening, and it sometimes does, but I've never seen it being done intentionally. What would be the point?

The admins do not intervene.

There has been a number of requests that when outstanding games can no longer affect the outcome or determine who progresses to the next round, they should be ignored. The winner should then be declared or the next round started. The outstanding games can then be played out at leisure.

I think it involves some tricky code, but it would make such good sense.
  3. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 02:44
    Thanks for the info.

I agree that there would be no point to it, but we know that the Internet includes troublesome characters. I'm glad it's not a significant problem.
  4. Joined
    20 Jun '03
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 12:25
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    There's nothing to prevent it from happening, and it sometimes does, but I've never seen it being done intentionally. What would be the point?

The admins do not intervene.

There has been a number of requests that when outstanding games can no longer affect the outcome or determine who progresses to the next round, they should be ignored. The win ...[text shortened]... d out at leisure.

I think it involves some tricky code, but it would make such good sense.
    When I raised this issue some time ago Russ promised that something would be done to overcome the problem.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree