Resigned from Tournament.

Resigned from Tournament.

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T
F**k the EU, IMF,WB

Moves
11 Jan 09
2 edits

Hi to all.

I’ve just resigned the rest of my games from a tournament because I’m worried that I may be branded a cheater.

One of the players left me a message stating that I was playing well for a 1200 rated. I knew strait away what he mint but when I tried to defend my name he had placed me on his ignored list.

He did not give me the chance to say that I had been rated at 1500 in Aug 08 and had beaten a player rated 1900 in the passed few months.

I love this site and do not want this stain on my name.

F

Moves
11 Jan 09

Originally posted by Tychoo
Hi to all.

I’ve just resigned the rest of my games from a tournament because I’m worried that I may be branded a cheater.

One of the players left me a message stating that I was playing well for a 1200 rated. I knew strait away what he mint but when I tried to defend my name he had placed me on his ignored list.

He did not give me the chance to say ...[text shortened]... rated 1900 in the passed few months.

It shouldn't be so easy to scare off one's competition, just by accusing someone for cheating.

I think you should stay in the tournament. Your name is not stained of the sole reason that somone is calling you a cheat.

If you really are a cheat, then why don't you have higher rating? Obviously you don't cheat.

d
Canuck savant

Moves
11 Jan 09

Hi to all.

He did not give me the chance to say ...[text shortened]... rated 1900 in the passed few months.

Perhaps he was referring to the fact that you have a history of rating drops due to resigning many games at once, then coming back to join sub-1250 tournaments. That's sandbagging, not cheating. You're too sensitive.

How's round four of the March Mini banded Duel I 1200-1225 working out for you? Tournament 3617

T
F**k the EU, IMF,WB

Moves
11 Jan 09
1 edit

Suffer a lot from depression if you’d like to know I have my up days and down, use chess to try and train the mind. Some time a bad move in one game will cause me to resign several when I’m in my dark place.

Play over the board at about 1350 to 1500. I’M No SANDBAGGER my friend.😕

d
Canuck savant

Moves
11 Jan 09

I’M No SANDBAGGER my friend.😕
I'll believe that when you quit joining and winning sub-1250 tournaments whenever your rating drops after these resignations. Stick with the open tournaments or rated tournaments that reflect your true rating.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Jan 09

Hi to all.

is this in May 2008 Mini Banded Duel I 1275-1300 tournament where in your group there is a 1500 rated player?

T
F**k the EU, IMF,WB

Moves
11 Jan 09

Yes

Moves
12 Jan 09

Originally posted by dweezil
I'll believe that when you quit joining and winning sub-1250 tournaments whenever your rating drops after these resignations. Stick with the open tournaments or rated tournaments that reflect your true rating.
lets face it it's not as bad as some 1800+ player who go beating up on some 1300 guys when they take a rating hit for whatever reason. the guy never reaches 1400, most of his rating beats are at about 1390, take a mi to look at his games and you'll see loses to 1200-1400 players. it's not as if he's playing in a 1000 tourney any player in a 1200-1400 rated banded tourney could beat him. plus i bet he's not the highest rated player in the tourney that he resigned the games nor in the one that you posted.

Eddie's Dad

Raving Mad

Moves
12 Jan 09

Originally posted by trev33
lets face it it's not as bad as some 1800+ player who go beating up on some 1300 guys...
To Tychoo's original point was to whether or not what he's doing qualifies as cheating. Like many of us, he feels good when he plays well and feels bad when his opponents play better than he does. Because of his depression issues, he goes on overload and bails out of apparently many if not all of his games. He's not the only one doing that. I see that in probably 5 to 10% of the tournies I'm in. The question is: is a person who intentionally dumps games by definition trying to drive down his rating? And if he is, should he stay out of banded competitions for which he knows he's overqualified?

I can't honestly say I know the answer to those questions.

On a slightly different note, if anybody here is playing online chess in order to feel better about themselves, I'd have to say there at least as many lows as there are highs. There are a thousand players on here that I could beat every day of the week. Does that make me more valuable as a human being? Most definitely not. There are a thousand who could beat me every day of the week. Does that make me less valuable? Nope.

The only real joy you'll get here is in meeting nice people. Play some games to pass the time. Some you'll win; some you'll lose. Play the best you know how and if you care to read a book about chess to improve your game, go for it. But please don't get so invested in the wins or losses that you beat yourself up over it. Life's too short.

Just my two cents worth,
Steve

j

Moves
20 Feb 09

Originally posted by sbacat
To Tychoo's original point was to whether or not what he's doing qualifies as cheating. Like many of us, he feels good when he plays well and feels bad when his opponents play better than he does. Because of his depression issues, he goes on overload and bails out of apparently many if not all of his games. He's not the only one doing that. I see that in prob ...[text shortened]... t you beat yourself up over it. Life's too short.

Just my two cents worth,
Steve
Well said.

Eddie's Dad

Raving Mad

Moves
21 Feb 09

Originally posted by jayaitch
Well said.
Thank you. In fact, I've had one of those grrrr moments this week. Earlier this week, I hit my all-time high rating and within the next 36 hours had dropped around 200 points. In the past, I might have felt that I had no business playing chess, everybody here is smarter than I am, etc. But instead of letting myself get depressed over it, I took hope in the example of range blasts, who posted in another forum thread about reaching a rating of 1700 points. Back in Oct/Nov of 2008, he and I played two games where I won both games. More recently, we played two games in which he wiped the floor with me. Quite surprised me with his excellent play.

What happened between the two sets of games? Obviously, he applied himself. He figured out what he was doing wrong and corrected it, improved his game. During the same period of time, I bounced back and forth between 1300 and 1550 because I haven't cracked a book or studied a game or did anything other than play a bunch of games.

To me, that's proof that you can improve your game if you apply yourself. Will I? Maybe I will and maybe not. Depends on how much effort I put into it, but the lesson to be learned is that it can be done and only I can choose to improve my game.

If you're losing more than you're winning, don't fret or complain about it, that won't do anything to improve your game. And if you don't care enough about improving to do anything about it, don't be surprised if you don't really get any better.

Cheers to range blasts and everybody else who actively applies themselves not only in RHP but in all areas where honest effort pays off. There is no easy path to excellence, but there is a path.

Enjoy the journey and God bless,
Steve