1. Santiago
    Moves
    17 Sep '10 00:02
    Is this sporting?

It's one of those long haul games. My opponent needs a win to progress as joint group winner. I am winning. In fact I have just about won the game. Said player last moved in the game on 2nd Sept, a long gap pattern that has been repeated since it was clear I was on top. The other game finished quickly.

Said player has 18 other games and moves every day.

So, now I am looking to finish the game as quickly as possible. My opponent is looking for me to hand them the win by frustrated resignation.

At the current rate, I am looking at a year.

People will blah, blah about it not mattering and long time outs. But 20 day moves in a game when you are moving regularly elsewhere is not really on is it. What is it with some jokers on this site?

No names. But you can see by checking the game link

http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=7282546&cbqsid=15754
  2. Joined
    28 Mar '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '10 09:26
    just looked at the game, and he is being pathetic. dont resign tho, if it was me, i wouldnt even be bothered about it at all, cos i only look at my move games, i only look at oppo moves for skulls. do u filter yr games? its best to, then u only look at yr moves and u can forget about him, just check for his skull!!
  3. Santiago
    Moves
    17 Sep '10 17:01
    No worries. It just sits there waiting. I do try to avoid the 21 day timout/timebanks though. It's not the 18th Century.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    17 Sep '10 18:22
  5. SubscriberKewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    18 Sep '10 03:131 edit
    A win in this game would allow him to progress, a draw or loss would not, so he's counting on you getting fed up and resigning. Don't give him the satisfaction. Just put your detailed game plan in the notebook so that you can pick up the game easily. (Just be careful not to put it in the message box by mistake!)
  6. Santiago
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 17:09
    17 days now.
  7. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 20:22
    Originally posted by Hopster
    Is this sporting?

It's one of those long haul games. My opponent needs a win to progress as joint group winner. I am winning. In fact I have just about won the game. Said player last moved in the game on 2nd Sept, a long gap pattern that has been repeated since it was clear I was on top. The other game finished quickly.

Said player has 18 other games a ...[text shortened]... cking the game link

see your point, there should be a rule that if you move in other games say 3 times, a skull should appear on the game of these pathetic timewasters are not moving in.
  8. Joined
    18 Mar '10
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 22:47

I do try to avoid the 21 day timout/timebanks though.
    So why did you enter for a 21/21 tournament in the first place ?

I would find it frustrating to be in your situation so I would not ever enter this tournament in the first place. I see no reason why you should expect your opponent to move faster than the rate you agreed to in the first place.

If you want a fast game try a 1/0 tourament instead. I like the fact that I can chose something inbetween in order to play against players wishing to move at the same pace that I have agreed to move.
  9. Santiago
    Moves
    20 Sep '10 21:01
    I know all that.

I don't enter those 21/21 anymore.

The game can just sit there. Good luck to those others in the tourno that will soon be waiting for the next round to start.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '10 21:23
    what are you people talking about? it's not as it it's a completely lost game, when there's a queen there's a way and xe is breaking no rules by playing slowly, suck it up and try to win by checkmate asap.
  11. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 13:16
    I really have a laugh at players who get indignant when their opponents actually use the agreed upon time controls.
  12. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 19:20
    While I agree about a player being able to use their full time if they desire, the end result is that no one will play that time control because of these stalling tactics.

My suggestion is move on, put your notes in a file and set your email calendar to remind you when the 20 days are up. I would be inclined to counter stall to make it equally annoying for my opponent. They would get their hopes up after 19 days and I would crush it everytime by playing a move.
  13. Santiago
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 22:54
    I have to laugh at people being right smartalecs. And this site has more than its fair share.

They should give out special gold stars for sarcasm.
  14. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 22:40
    Is this sporting?

Said player has 18 other games a ...[text shortened]... cking the game link

Some people do it just to annoy people.

I did this recently in a game where my opponent moaned about me taking a timeout win, saying I must have been waiting for it.

In our other match the game was a loss for me and I was going to resign but decided in view of his comments that I would not move again and let him get a timeout win.

When I made my last move on the 5 July (it was a 3/7 game) I told him this and put a message in my notes DONT MOVE IN THIS GAME LET HIM GET TIMEOUT WIN.

The really sad thing is that he "stopped playing" on the site User 454726 and has not made any moves for over 50 days and yet he finally claimed the timeout win on the 18 Sep, just 6 days ago. He has obviously been visiting site to see if I had maybe decided to move just so he could get his checkmate win.

You know you have the game won, you know your opponent is only delaying the inevitable, you cannot progress and neither will your opponent. If anything I would start doing the same, move once every 21 days.

You could even sent an in game message along lines of Guess what, you ain't going to progress as I have this game won, I will be moving only once every 21 days from now on.

Its only a game and you will get the points in due course. Hell when you checkmate him, you could even send a nice "GG shame you never progressed either!"
  15. Santiago
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 18:26
    He might be coming back at me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree