1. Joined
    13 Jun '10
    Moves
    22 May '11 08:22
    Given that a whole lot of banded ones have just appeared in the tournament list, I thought it might be topical.

For those that don't know, if you enter one of these tournaments you typically end up in a group of 12 so you have 22 simultaneous games. The one-zero bit means that you have to make a move every day, and there is no timebank. This makes it quite intense. As a new subscriber on RHP a few months ago, and choosing my first tournament to enter, I inadvertently clicked on one of these without realising the consequences!! I thought it was really fun, although it was completely overwhelming...

Anyway here is my question:

What sort of strategies do you follow in these tournaments?

Do you try to use the same attack or same defence in all the games?
    Or use it as an opportunity to trial a whole set of attack/defences as a little exercise in chess evolution ;-)

Do you try to play all the games at the same pace or some faster and some slower?

How do you keep track of what you are trying to do - do you use the notebook or something else? One problem i found with the notebook is that you can only add to it when it is the opponents turn (or at least i couldn't see it when it was my turn).
    Now you might think its a bit silly - if its your turn just move, but sometimes i just want to jot ideas down, like don't fall into that trap! and then by the time i do move I have forgotten and fall into the trap :-)

I have definitely tried fast (with easier players) and slow (with better players) in order to have less concurrent games overall. So this banded tournament might be quite challenging as it needs to be a fight for every game

Final question - how much harder are the 20 day hardcore tournies?
    These would seem to have many more games and shorter duration which just compounds the pressure
  2. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    27 May '11 21:30
    Originally posted by delnz
    ... One problem i found with the notebook is that you can only add to it when it is the opponents turn (or at least i couldn't see it when it was my turn)...
    Notebook is always there. If it is your turn, write your note and then WITHOUT making a move, click "Submit Move". The note will be saved. Scary the first time you do it, but that's the way it works.
  3. Joined
    13 Jun '10
    Moves
    27 May '11 22:28
    hey how about that - i never knew that! cheers
  4. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    28 May '11 20:24
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Notebook is always there. If it is your turn, write your note and then WITHOUT making a move, click "Submit Move". The note will be saved. Scary the first time you do it, but that's the way it works.
    Glad you found that, I wasn't sure if you'd taken my suggestion seriously lol...
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Jun '11 20:03
    Be careful not to write your plan in the message to your opponent!!!! I've done that.😕
  6. Joined
    13 Jun '10
    Moves
    05 Jun '11 23:57
    OK Here is a suggestion.
    Keep an eye out for timeouts - quite common in these 1/0. I just got one in my set.
    Whether you take them is up to you - I usually do but if i got a prior message with a good reason i would not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree