1. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 17:04
    Russ,

I'm sure this has come up before but is the swiss system possible here? I guess it would be a pain to code but there are some benifits, like getting to play all the rounds.

I've organized a chess club for homeschool kids in my area and I'm thinking of trying a small swiss type tournament for the kids. I'm still trying to figure out how to do it! Even a small tournament will be complicated 🙄, but the benifits may be worth the effort.
  2. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 17:14
    The problem with a Swiss tournament is the time it would take. If you assume that you can't start round 2 until the last game of round 1 is complete (there's ways round that, but that just complicates things further).
    You also need to have enough rounds to give a good chance of an outright winner - even 64 entrants would need 6 rounds.
    I'd guestimate that a 6-round Swiss could take about a year to complete, with all the attendant problems about people leaving the site midway thru etc etc.
    Its maybe worth doing, but its a different ball game from the current tournaments.
    Possibly run it as a site championship - though that would increase the entries and so increase the number of rounds and so increase the duration.
  3. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 23:423 edits
    Originally posted by Redmike

You also need to have enough rounds to give a good chance of an outright winner - even 64 entrants would need 6 rounds.
    in normal chess you can only have group size 2,

here with a group size 8 we could have 64 players in two rounds.

round one's results could give each player a number from 1 to 8 as to where they came in their group.

the second round is then formed using these numbers.

that is a 64 player two round swiss tournament: more fun for everyone - except russ.

in a three round tournament the same trick can be pulled.
  4. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 23:50
    I guess it would have to be a modified swiss system, where you would play several opponents at one time to speed things up. Of course, you couldn't play all the other players at once (unless your really want to play 100s of games at a time. It's would be like playing all your rounds at simultaneuosly using an excellerated swiss system.
    Hmm... 😲 Wait a minute!! 😲 That's what we have now!! 😛
    Now I get it! 😵
  5. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    25 Feb '04 12:08
    Originally posted by flexmore
    in normal chess you can only have group size 2,

here with a group size 8 we could have 64 players in two rounds.

round one's results could give each player a number from 1 to 8 as to where they came in their group.

the second round is then formed using these numbers.

that is a 64 player two round swiss tournament: more fun for everyone - except russ.

in a three round tournament the same trick can be pulled.
    An interesting way of doing things, but its not a Swiss...
  6. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    25 Feb '04 12:261 edit
    Originally posted by Redmike
    An interesting way of doing things, but its not a Swiss...
    swiss :
    (i am no expert, just going by what a fide 2349 friend once told me; i believed him on the board, i believe him off the board too)

players in first round with equal results play off in second round.

in third round the players with equal results again play off

etc
  7. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    25 Feb '04 13:51
    I remember playing in a couple of tournaments like this while at school. It is a great way of having a tournament without having knock-outs and without everyone having to play everyone else. Maybe this is a format that would suit a 0 day timeout but with a fixed timebank (say 21 days) - in effect a clocking sytem, so that all games in each round are scheduled to be completed no later than a certain fixed date. It would probably only suit those who move multiple times a day, but it would be a whole lot of fun!
  8. Over seas
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 02:22
    http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=C04&
    Maybe this will help. I have played swiss with a ten minute TO and things move right along. Also the outcome may be suprising.

Mike

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree