1. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Oct '07 01:06
    could not the themed tournaments be divided into two groups such as ratings at 1500 and below and 1501 and up so that both sections might have more interesting games as the ratings of the players would
    not be so far apart ?
  2. USA
    Moves
    18 Oct '07 03:05
    Originally posted by reinfeld
    could not the themed tournaments be divided into two groups such as ratings at 1500 and below and 1501 and up so that both sections might have more interesting games as the ratings of the players would
    not be so far apart ?
    Wouldn't the higher rated players always win?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Oct '07 12:371 edit
    yes...but only in their own division...they always win the way it is now..but it is not the winning that i am concerned with but rather the fun of playing a theme tournament with a field closer in rating than the whole site spread...
  4. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    18 Oct '07 13:39
    Originally posted by reinfeld
    yes...but only in their own division...they always win the way it is now..but it is not the winning that i am concerned with but rather the fun of playing a theme tournament with a field closer in rating than the whole site spread...
    I think it is important for a themed tournament that lower rated players get exposed to the themes that the higher rated players are more likely to bring. Sometimes lower-rated players have a book or two on their favorite opening and they're dying to play into the heart of theory, but every time they play against fellow lower-rated players, the game leaves book so early that it is frustrating. I think those players would like to play higher rated players.

I think everything is great just the way it is without you rabble-rousing trouble-makers stirring up such a fuss, but if there was serious consideration for splitting a themed tournament, maybe a compromise? You could have a lower banded section in which higher-rated players couldn't play, and then you'd have an Open Section where any rating may join. This way, a lower player could play "up" a class, so to speak. I don't know if this would be a popular or feasible option, but I'm just throwing it out there.

i'm really sleepy
    IRNG 660
  5. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 Oct '07 12:341 edit
    Actually I think Dr. Rat's suggestinon to be great.

Without the ranting about trouble makers I would have recommended it 😀
  6. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '07 07:302 edits
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Actually I think Dr. Rat's suggestinon to be great.

Without the ranting about trouble makers I would have recommended it 😀
    Agreed. I think that the lower banded players should be allowed the opportunity to "punch above their weight" in an "open grade" band incorporated into all themed banded tourneys.

You could nominate to play in both and/or either as your game load permitted. Banded winners could then elect to match off with the "open" winner in a final shoot out.

Just throwing it out there

skeeter
  7. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '07 11:06
    I've sometimes wondered if a 'handicap' tournament would work.

The idea being that your score is (somehow - details would need to be worked out) compared to your 'expected' score based on ratings (it isn't that hard to work that out - one of the advantages of the rating system used).

The main problem I can see is that any strong players with a lowish grade (if it's fallen because of inactivity or they're a new member who hasn't reached their level yet) would have a big advantage.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree