1. San Diego
    Moves
    10 Dec '08 22:471 edit
    I was just browsing the tourneys and saw that English Tal (banned) won the 2007 championship (and many other tourneys). On the page for that tourney, all of his points have been taken away. So Gatecrasher now has the most points. Yet, on both the tourney page and the players' profiles, English Tal is still listed as the winner, and Gatecrasher is not. What gives? Will this ever be rectified? Why should banned players have the honor of maintaining their tournament "victories"?
    Tournament 1677[/b]

(I don't spend much time in this forum, so I'm sorry if this has already been covered thoroughly.)
  2. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 00:29
    Originally posted by HolyT
    I was just browsing the tourneys and saw that English Tal (banned) won the 2007 championship (and many other tourneys). On the page for that tourney, all of his points have been taken away. So Gatecrasher now has the most points. Yet, on both the tourney page and the players' profiles, English Tal is still listed as the winner, and Gatecrasher is not. What ...[text shortened]... t spend much time in this forum, so I'm sorry if this has already been covered thoroughly.)
    I doubt it will ever be re-awarded, as that doesn't seem to happen here after the win has shown up in the player's profile. You actually missed a whole long debacle involving cludi, the other banned player in that final, who won the tournament on points but was suspicious enough that the tourney wasn't immediately awarded to him. When he was banned, months after the tournament had ended, the title was awarded to English Tal who pretty much everybody thought was a legit player. It seems as if there would be a tourney to get re-awarded, this would be it.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 00:32
    Originally posted by HolyT
    I was just browsing the tourneys and saw that English Tal (banned) won the 2007 championship (and many other tourneys). On the page for that tourney, all of his points have been taken away. So Gatecrasher now has the most points. Yet, on both the tourney page and the players' profiles, English Tal is still listed as the winner, and Gatecrasher is not. What ...[text shortened]... t spend much time in this forum, so I'm sorry if this has already been covered thoroughly.)
    Gatecrasher doesn't want it: http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=103838&page=1#post_1939981 😛
  4. San Diego
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 03:34
    Interesting. Thanks for the background.
  5. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 04:06
    Ironic in retrospect, but English Tal and cludi were in the same first-round group.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree