1. Joined
    29 Nov '04
    Moves
    22 Dec '04 23:27
    I thought I had read that vac. was not respected for tournament play? I have an opponent who has the vac. sign up so both our games are dormant ... ???
  2. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    23 Dec '04 00:03
    ya, it says that when you go to sign up.. vacation settings will not be respected. Does that mean that we should time them out? or is that considered a faux pas and will have everyone against us?
  3. Joined
    29 Nov '04
    Moves
    23 Dec '04 00:05
    I don't know, but tthe timebank doesn't seem to be depleting.

(BTW I now have 2 players .. ie 4 games .. in vacation mode in the tournament)
  4. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    23 Dec '04 00:38
    Originally posted by clive59
    I don't know, but tthe timebank doesn't seem to be depleting.

(BTW I now have 2 players .. ie 4 games .. in vacation mode in the tournament)
    I've looked at your games. Against Luck, he is still active. Against Tim Glogan, he has 3 days from your last move before the timebank starts to deplete, so he still has another day to go.

Then when his 7 day timebank runs out (8 days from now), the skull will appear, allowing you to claim the win. If you don't time him out, he has two extra days before he is automatically timed out according to tounament rules.
  5. Joined
    29 Nov '04
    Moves
    23 Dec '04 02:21
    Gatecrasher, I understand, but my basic question remains - is the vacation setting valid in tournament play? (ps: yes Luck has moved as recently as tonite).
  6. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    23 Dec '04 03:43
    Gatecrasher, I understand, but my basic question remains - is the vacation setting valid in tournament play? (ps: yes Luck has moved as recently as tonite).
    The vacation setting doesn't affect the timebank or timeout in ANY kind of game. It's purely something for information. Whether it's "valid" or not depends on whether you choose to take that information into account.

The difference is that in tournaments, the timeout will AUTOMATICALLY happen two days after the clock runs out, so you'll win even if you didn't choose to claim the win.
  7. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    23 Dec '04 07:24
    I see. Orfeo answers the point. The vacation flag has no effect on the timing. So as far as any game is concerned (not just tournement games) it makes absolutley no difference if the flag is on or off.

In non-tournament games, however, if a game times out you can decide whether to take the win or not. The vacation flag may sway your decision, but it is at your discretion entirely.
  8. Joined
    29 Nov '04
    Moves
    23 Dec '04 14:43
    Awesome, thanks for the clarification, everyone!
  9. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    23 Dec '04 21:23
    Why are people using the vacation setting when they are still around to play games? If I'm playing someone, and they are playing their turns, why would I not time them out just because they have the vacation sign up? I don't want to be a player that doesn't respect vacation signs, but, if they are still playing.. isn't that abusing it?
  10. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    23 Dec '04 23:01
    Originally posted by MIODude
    Why are people using the vacation setting when they are still around to play games? If I'm playing someone, and they are playing their turns, why would I not time them out just because they have the vacation sign up? I don't want to be a player that doesn't respect vacation signs, but, if they are still playing.. isn't that abusing it?
    It's a personal matter. I don't respect the vacation flag at all in clan and tournament games, and those are the only games I play.

The vacation flag is a throwback to the days before timebanks. The whole rationale for timebanks was to overcome the problem of vacations.

Every player can now choose the games and time restraints to suit their requirements and future plans. There is no longer any valid excuses for running out of time. If someone lets it happen, then they have violated the agreed upon terms and conditions of their game and deserve to lose.

There may be other extraneous reasons for being timed-out, personal issues, health issues, work-related issues, access issues, but they are all just that: extraneous. If players consider their RHP games important enough they'll find a way to continue playing. And if they don't feel they are important enough, they must surely accept the consequence, and forfeit their games.

I just wish the timeouts were now automatic, so this long-standing issue could finally be put to rest.
  11. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    25 Dec '04 10:27
    Some people put their flags up when they're not sure whether or not they'll be able to move - for example, they'll be away and they may or may not have computer access where they are going, or their access will only be occasionally.

I think it's smarter if people explain the situation when putting up the flag. For example one of my current opponents put his flag up to explain that his wife had just gone into premature labour, so chess might not be his first priority right now! So it made sense when he still moved once in a while.
  12. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Dec '04 12:47
    Originally posted by orfeo
    Some people put their flags up when they're not sure whether or not they'll be able to move - for example, they'll be away and they may or may not have computer access where they are going, or their access will only be occasionally.

I think it's smarter if people explain the situation when putting up the flag. For example one of my current opponents pu ...[text shortened]... ight not be his first priority right now! So it made sense when he still moved once in a while.
    I personally never respect it. You have alot of idiots who enter tournaments knowing they will be gone for like the next weeks. I will not help hold u tournaments because of these people. Im in the first 2 Xmas Grands and from the day it started like 5 people put up vacation flags right away. People ill use it when they realize they took on too many games and cant keep up. But this is their problem and something they should have thought of before entering the tournament or making themselves available for clan duty, so I will never respect those stupid flags. In a real game once you are out of time you are out of time, a=ever seen anyone go oops I forgot to use the bathroom before we started, just wait for me ill be back in an hour or 2.
  13. Joined
    20 Feb '02
    Moves
    25 Dec '04 20:111 edit
    Yes, the vacation only means something if everyone respects it. In all tournament games just take the win as soon as it comes up, if we all do that it is as fair system.

The only area where I would respect a vacation setting is in clan games. I make this distinction as it is the clan leader who choose when to start these games, not the individual player themselves. I know of many clan leaders who have accepted 3 day TO challenge involving a player just before that player is going on vacation (Yes, I have been guilty in the past).

Clans are about fun, tournaments about winning.

Andrew
  14. Santiago
    Moves
    27 Dec '04 21:29
    They may be on holiday, but able to access the internet occasionally. I myself will be in some remotish parts of Chile in a couple of weeks, but still hope to get to a machine every two to three days.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree