Whining during games

Whining during games

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
30 Dec 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Ropespierre
It's true, once every thousand games you play, your opponent will make a horrendous blunder and allow you to win. But did the fact that your opponent blundered in any way make you a better chess player?
Game 4254025

I don't see much of a blunder on my opponents part in this game. He was kicking my butt. Then I saw the stalemate and went for it, and forced it. As I and others have done several times with the 3 move repetition draw. It's all part of chess.
And a draw is always better than a loss.

Our clan has a thread in our private clan forum titled "stalemates", It has several stalemates achieved by my comrades and I in games where we were getting our butts kicked in a game.

We also have 3 move repetition draws in another Thread. You would be surprised.

Eddie's Dad

Raving Mad

Moves
30 Dec 09

One could argue that all of chess is recognizing blunders both large and small on the part of your opponent. With skill and practice, we gain the ability to promote blunders on the part of our adversary.

If you view this learned optimism in the context of a clan challenge, would you as a clanmaster, prefer players who only surrendered after exhausting every possible option to win or at least draw, or would you prefer to field players who surrendered well before the final shot was fired?

Fight on bravely, I say, regardless of the opposition. When they tell me I'm too stupid to know when I'm beaten...I grin.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
30 Dec 09
1 edit

Originally posted by sbacat
One could argue that all of chess is recognizing blunders both large and small on the part of your opponent. With skill and practice, we gain the ability to promote blunders on the part of our adversary.

If you view this learned optimism in the context of a clan challenge, would you as a clanmaster, prefer players who only surrendered after exhausting ever ...[text shortened]... gardless of the opposition. When they tell me I'm too stupid to know when I'm beaten...I grin.
Well said. As a clan leader I couldn't agree more.

Game 5345785 Here's a draw (stalemate), one of my comrades got. It gave us the clan win. I'm glad he didn't just resign. He saw the stalemate and suckered his opponent right into it. Check out the last two moves. 😀