1. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 16:52
    I love a good Octet. OK, I'm a junkie, I admit it. The big tournaments are too much of a good thing all at once and the quartets and duels are so small that I feel like if I make one or two mistakes, I've blown the whole tournament. With the Octets, I feel like I can make a mistake or two and still hang in there.

My suggestion is for Octets that are a little wider banded than what we usually see. Say, a band of 200 or even 300 points, instead of the 25 or 50 we've been having. I'd like to see overlapping bands, too, so we could play in multiple Octets simultaneously if we like. So the bands would be something like 1200 to 1500, 1300 to 1600, etc. on up to whatever is a reasonable ceiling.

This would give slightly lower-rated players a chance to play against some higher rated without the 'totally overwhelming' exposure you get in a completely unbanded tournament.

Anybody like the idea? Hate the idea?

Steve
  2. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    18 Sep '08 10:51
    Good idea.

But don't get rid of the small bands at the same time.

So keep the current bands and added broader ones.

Recc'ed
  3. Standard memberGreen Frog
    soccer player
    USA
    Moves
    18 Sep '08 11:07
    love it!!
  4. Joined
    08 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 08:20
    Thanks for the good job done in the broader wider range of the tournaments.🙂
  5. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 20:09
    Originally posted by sbacat
    My suggestion is for Octets that are a little wider banded than what we usually see. Say, a band of 200 or even 300 points, instead of the 25 or 50 we've been having. I'd like to see overlapping bands, too, so we could play in multiple Octets simultaneously if we like.
    So you want for Caoimho to win even more octet tournaments?
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 09:24
    Originally posted by sbacat
    I love a good Octet. OK, I'm a junkie, I admit it. The big tournaments are too much of a good thing all at once and the quartets and duels are so small that I feel like if I make one or two mistakes, I've blown the whole tournament. With the Octets, I feel like I can make a mistake or two and still hang in there.

My suggestion is for Octets that are a litt ...[text shortened]... get in a completely unbanded tournament.

Anybody like the idea? Hate the idea?

Steve
    I have just added a series,"September 2008 Octet IV", with wide overlapping bands.
  7. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 12:18
    Originally posted by Aiko
    So you want for Caoimho to win even more octet tournaments?
    Actually, I was hoping to win a couple more myself. 😀
  8. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 12:19
    Originally posted by Russ
    I have just added a series,"September 2008 Octet IV", with wide overlapping bands.
    Thanks, Russ. Very much appreciated and the lower-rated groups seem to be filling up fast. Really love this site BTW. Excellent job.

Thanks again,
    Steve

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree