Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

1. Standard member c99ux
    'Sir' to you
    02 Feb '06 01:50
    How about it?
    First round(s) country specific groups, the winners (only 1 winner per country, of course) representing the final 64 (or more) countries in a straight knockout?
    0/7 or 0/14 maximum to make sure all games are played in time for the final round.

Hurdles to be overcome: if one country (England, for example) has 386 players entering, then the initial round(s) to decide who represents that country need to be played quickly.
    Players should not be allowed to change their flag between now and the final game.

Of course I will represent Japan (are there any other players here?), and just like the real thing in Germany, I will win the final.

Anyone up for it?
  2. Standard member Ravello
    The Rude©
    02 Feb '06 01:55
    Impossible to realize because of people going silly with flags and changing it in order to have a better chance of progressing..........
    Just like you just did when saying you want to represent Japan instead of your own country,England,because you know that if there will be a selection amonst english players you wouldn't stand a chance.
  3. Standard member c99ux
    'Sir' to you
    02 Feb '06 02:19
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Impossible to realize because of people going silly with flags and changing it in order to have a better chance of progressing..........
    Just like you just did when saying you want to represent Japan instead of your own country,England,because you know that if there will be a selection amonst english players you wouldn't stand a chance.
    That's why I said "No changing of flags."

I haven't changed my flag since the day I joined, and although I'm English, I live in Japan, my wife is Japanese (and 2 of my exes), and the coming child will be half Japanese. I could also represent Poland because I have Polish citizenship, could have a Polish passport, and my son is half Polish.
  4. Standard member Ravello
    The Rude©
    02 Feb '06 02:28
    Then tell me how do you think to prevent some thousands of players from changing their flag.
    This kind of tournament has been tried before and believe me,it was a failure.
  5. Standard member c99ux
    'Sir' to you
    02 Feb '06 05:25
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Then tell me how do you think to prevent some thousands of players from changing their flag.
    This kind of tournament has been tried before and believe me,it was a failure.
    So there is no way to find out if/when someone changed their flag?
    Sure there is. Changing a flag requires some kind of command and all the commands are logged. If we can check a player's rating on a particular day, it can't be too difficult to check the log and see which flag a player was flying on a particular date (yesterday for example...)
    How/why did the other tourneys fail (not that I don't believe you...)?
  6. Standard member Ravello
    The Rude©
    02 Feb '06 18:28
    Originally posted by c99ux
    So there is no way to find out if/when someone changed their flag?
    Sure there is. Changing a flag requires some kind of command and all the commands are logged. If we can check a player's rating on a particular day, it can't be too difficult to check the log and see which flag a player was flying on a particular date (yesterday for example...)
    How/why did the other tourneys fail (not that I don't believe you...)?
    I'll just say that a Czech guy won the SouthAmerica Grand Continent tournament,go figure........