1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 May '14 03:02
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Indeed, we should only trust governments to do things they do flawlessly.
    We ought to trust government to do only the bare minimum of things.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 May '14 03:03
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Rubbish. It is firstly a scare story that is almost certainly FALSE and absolutely certainly not yet established.

Secondly, it is evidence that government services have to be properly funded if they are to meet their objectives. The US has a neat trick of refusing to support services like this, then displaying shock and amazement when they fall short of ...[text shortened]... ce, then staring at the ceiling as they bemoan failings in the service they have just sabotaged.
    Where does the money come from? Government is broke as it is.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 May '14 03:05
    No. Another reminder of what you get when you elect into government right wing twats with corporate sponsors.
    Right or left wing twats, does it matter.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 May '14 03:06
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    ALL politicians have corporate sponsors, and they are all for sale.
    More accurately, corporations are all extortion victims of politicians of one stripe or another.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    20 May '14 05:44
    Originally posted by normbenign
    We ought to trust government to do only the bare minimum of things.
    How could the "bare minimum" be anything other than nothing?
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 May '14 12:21
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    How could the "bare minimum" be anything other than nothing?
    The US Constitution lists enumerated powers. That is more than nothing, but substantially less than it does now with its alphabet soup of federal bureaucracies.
  7. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    20 May '14 12:271 edit
    So just to resume where we are in this thread, a media driven scare story based on unsupported allegations, which has yet to be properly investigated, sets off a nice storm of crapology, passing in the US for political debate. The rule of the game is to see how many trivial right wing slogans can be parroted, drowning out any effort at corrective balance, such as fact checking.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 May '14 12:41
    So just to resume where we are in this thread, a media driven scare story based on unsupported allegations, which has yet to be properly investigated, sets off a nice storm of crapology, passing in the US for political debate. The rule of the game is to see how many trivial right wing slogans can be parroted, drowning out any effort at corrective balance, such as fact checking.
    That tickles me, " a media driven scare story based on unsupported allegations, which has yet to be properly investigated," the media is now pushing a right wing story?

There have been scandals about the VA during almost every president's term in the US. A relevant question is, Why isn't the party of compassion doing better than those selfish conservatives?
  9. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    20 May '14 12:551 edit
    Is that where we were? I thought we were still waiting for you to explain why it's a good idea to have governments run health care since they tend to be corrupt, and to underfund programs, leading to rationing and ultimately deaths.

Isn't that where we were?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 May '14 13:232 edits
    Is that where we were? I thought we were still waiting for you to explain why it's a good idea to have governments run health care since they tend to be corrupt, and to underfund programs, leading to rationing and ultimately to deaths.

Is it not the case that if a populace pays tax they should expect a public service for their taxes one of which could be the running and administration of a national health service? why this should be difficult to understand i cannot say. That corruption of some kind may enter a system is not the fault of the system itself but a deficiency of the people who run it. Why the government should somehow be treated differently than other entities is not immediately apparent.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 May '14 13:38
    Is that where we were? I thought we were still waiting for you to explain why it's a good idea to have governments run health care since they tend to be corrupt, and to underfund programs, leading to rationing and ultimately deaths.

I just saw where Obama said that he found on "on the news" about the VA scandal, just like he did the IRS scandal. And like the IRS scandal, he is "mad as hell".

It's just a good thing the man watching the evening news. Thank God for the CBS evening new!!
  12. Germany
    Moves
    20 May '14 13:49
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The US Constitution lists enumerated powers. That is more than nothing, but substantially less than it does now with its alphabet soup of federal bureaucracies.
    So why did you say "bare minimum" if you meant something else?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 May '14 13:582 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    I just saw where Obama said that he found on "on the news" about the VA scandal, just like he did the IRS scandal. And like the IRS scandal, he is "mad as hell".

It's just a good thing the man watching the evening news. Thank God for the CBS evening new!!
    you expected those responsible to personally contact the president and fess up? wow such faith in human nature cannot go unrewarded! perhaps the President is not only omnipotent but omniscient as well?
  14. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    20 May '14 14:05
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Is it not the case that if a populace pays tax they should expect a public service for their taxes one of which could be the running and administration of a national health service?

Yes, obviously.

why this should be difficult to understand i cannot say.

It's not and never has been, though we on the right are used to being written off as simpletons who simply cannot understand the left's grand designs. It's tiresome.

That corruption of some kind may enter a system is not the fault of the system itself but a deficiency of the people who run it.

Since the people who run it, and ultimately the funding they have, will determine the results the system produces, that is not a useful distinction. Leaving the corruption, coverups and lies aside, it is still true that single-payer health care systems run into funding problems, either through political games by finnegan's "twats" on either side, or through genuine budget constraints, or plain old bureaucratic waste. What they do then is ration care, giving out placements on waiting lists instead of actual procedures. That's just what happens. Why is it so hard to understand that I don't want a health care system like that?

Why the government should somehow be treated differently than other entities is not immediately apparent.

Because once a government program is in place it can't be gotten rid of, attempts to reform it fail, no one ever gets held accountable, and people still end up needing to go outside the system to get adequate health care.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 May '14 14:10
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you expected those responsible to personally contact the president and fess up? wow such faith in human nature cannot go unrewarded! perhaps the President is not only omnipotent but omniscient as well?
    Like I said, thank God for the CBS evening news. The man has to get his news from somewhere because no one seems to be informing him of much.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree