Hawking's temperature equation

Hawking's temperature equation

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB

Moves
08 Aug 22

I watched Nova on PBS about black holes. Hawking came up with an equation measuring the temperature of a black hole. I wondered if a vacuum could have a temperature so I looked into it.

https://www.scienceabc.com/nature/universe/what-is-the-temperature-of-space.html

A perfect vacuum has no temperature, as there is nothing in a vacuum whose temperature could be measured. So, in essence, you cannot technically measure the temperature of outer space.
So what does Hawking mean by "temperature"?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
08 Aug 22

@Metal-Brain
This might shed some light on your question

https://jila.colorado.edu/~ajsh/bh/hawk.html#:~:text=Hawking%20radiation%20has%20a%20blackbody,the%20horizon%2C%20the%20Schwarzschild%20radius

MB

Moves
08 Aug 22

@ponderable said
@Metal-Brain
This might shed some light on your question

https://jila.colorado.edu/~ajsh/bh/hawk.html#:~:text=Hawking%20radiation%20has%20a%20blackbody,the%20horizon%2C%20the%20Schwarzschild%20radius
He seemed to have meant radiation, not temperature.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Aug 22
1 edit

@metal-brain said
I watched Nova on PBS about black holes. Hawking came up with an equation measuring the temperature of a black hole. I wondered if a vacuum could have a temperature so I looked into it.

https://www.scienceabc.com/nature/universe/what-is-the-temperature-of-space.html

A perfect vacuum has no temperature, as there is nothing in a vacuum whose temperature could be mea ...[text shortened]... not technically measure the temperature of outer space.
So what does Hawking mean by "temperature"?
A black hole is not a vacuum.

Well, it is in the "Hoover" sense of a vacuum, but when you're speaking of the vacuum of space, black holes do not qualify.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Aug 22

@Suzianne
Yep, usually the mass of several suns in a space the size of Earth or less, not exactly vacuum in any regard.

Planet Rain

Moves
08 Aug 22

I thought a perfect vacuum was thought to be impossible to achieve, even in theory. At the quantum level there are always particles churning in and out of existence.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Aug 22

@Soothfast
yes, you can get close but no cigarπŸ™‚

MB

Moves
09 Aug 22

@suzianne said
A black hole is not a vacuum.

Well, it is in the "Hoover" sense of a vacuum, but when you're speaking of the vacuum of space, black holes do not qualify.
You are wrong. There is nothing that can escape a black hole so it is a vacuum.
You are such a retard.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Aug 22

@Metal-Brain
Tell that to Stephan Hawking. Ever hear of Hawking radiation? No I guess not, since all you watch is Newsmax and Fox news.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
09 Aug 22
2 edits

@metal-brain said
You are wrong. There is nothing that can escape a black hole so it is a vacuum.
You are such a retard.
In fact a vacuum is defined as a volume with "no" contents. And there is Quantum fluctuation as @Soothfast explained.
And if you want to define a black hole as "vacuum" then in the "Hoover" sense @Suzianne appreciated before.

It is more a sign of a "retard" not to use the generally accepted definition of words and concepts than otherwise. In scientific discussions we normally try to avoid calling our esteemed colleagues names, even if we are of the opinon that they should see things more like we do.

Edits because of being too lazy to reread before posting πŸ™

MB

Moves
09 Aug 22

@ponderable said
In fact a vacuum is defined as a volume with "no" contents. And there is Quantum fluctuation as @Soothfast explained.
And if you want to define a black hole as "vacuum" then in the "Hoover" sense @Suzianne appreciated before.

It is more a sign of a "retard" not to use the generally accepted definition of words and concepts than otherwise. In scientific discussions we n ...[text shortened]... ey should see things more like we do.

Edits because of being too lazy to reread before posting πŸ™
I never said a black hole was a vacuum.
Stop listening to suzi's lies.

I was talking about the space around a black hole. Space is a vacuum.
Black holes emit radiation into space. That is what Hawking's equation is all about. suzi is a science illiterate person. She should not even be posting on this forum. She is just here to troll nonsense.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
09 Aug 22

@metal-brain said
I never said a black hole was a vacuum.
I quote your own post (which I quoted in my last post):
There is nothing that can escape a black hole so it is a vacuum.

Read the sentence slowly, especially the last seven words.

MB

Moves
09 Aug 22

@sonhouse said
@Metal-Brain
Tell that to Stephan Hawking. Ever hear of Hawking radiation? No I guess not, since all you watch is Newsmax and Fox news.
What the hell do you think this whole thread is about? Hawking radiation!

His equation has "T" for temperature and there is no temperature in the vacuum of space, that is my whole point. Don't you think Hawking should have put an "R" there for radiation instead?

From now on I am just going to ignore suzi's trolling. it will be up to you to figure out her trolling is a useless distraction not worthy of comment.

MB

Moves
09 Aug 22

@ponderable said
I quote your own post (which I quoted in my last post):
There is nothing that can escape a black hole so it is a vacuum.

Read the sentence slowly, especially the last seven words.
It is a vacuum for matter, not radiation.
Is that better?

This whole thread is about radiation from a black hole. I should not have to explain the obvious to simpletons like suzi.

Moves
09 Aug 22

@metal-brain said
It is a vacuum for matter, not radiation.
Is that better?
No - now you're going from "wrong" to "not even wrong".