Hawking's temperature equation

Hawking's temperature equation

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB

Moves
09 Aug 22

@shallow-blue said
No - now you're going from "wrong" to "not even wrong".
This whole thread is about radiation from a black hole. I should not have to explain the obvious to simpletons like you.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Aug 22

@metal-brain said
You are wrong. There is nothing that can escape a black hole so it is a vacuum.
You are such a retard.
Good luck with that fourth grade science education.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Aug 22
2 edits

@sonhouse said
@Metal-Brain
Tell that to Stephan Hawking. Ever hear of Hawking radiation? No I guess not, since all you watch is Newsmax and Fox news.
Bazinga!

Although to be fair, he likes Global Research and Rumble.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Aug 22
1 edit

@metal-brain said
I never said a black hole was a vacuum.
Stop listening to suzi's lies.

I was talking about the space around a black hole. Space is a vacuum.
Black holes emit radiation into space. That is what Hawking's equation is all about. suzi is a science illiterate person. She should not even be posting on this forum. She is just here to troll nonsense.
You liar!

You just posted, "There is nothing that can escape a black hole so it is a vacuum."

For your information, I have a Bachelor of Science degree. I'm now working on a Master of Science degree. And yes, yes, I understand that the European degrees specify between the Hard Sciences and everything else. My BS (or B.Sc. in Europe) is in Psychology, so is my MS (or M.Sc. in Europe), so while not Hard Science, the program still involves science, more so than the Master of Arts. Unlike you, I do understand Relativity. Less so Astrophysics, to be sure, but again, more than you.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Aug 22

@metal-brain said
What the hell do you think this whole thread is about? Hawking radiation!

His equation has "T" for temperature and there is no temperature in the vacuum of space, that is my whole point. Don't you think Hawking should have put an "R" there for radiation instead?

From now on I am just going to ignore suzi's trolling. it will be up to you to figure out her trolling is a useless distraction not worthy of comment.
Damn, you're stupid.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Aug 22
1 edit

@metal-brain said
It is a vacuum for matter, not radiation.
Is that better?

This whole thread is about radiation from a black hole. I should not have to explain the obvious to simpletons like suzi.
Do you EVEN understand exactly what radiation IS?

And it's not even a vacuum for matter.

Planet Rain

Moves
09 Aug 22

@metal-brain said
It is a vacuum for matter, not radiation.
Is that better?
A particle of matter, like an electron, does not cease to exist when it passes the event horizon of a black hole. The event horizon is a "surface" in space where the escape velocity is c. Passing this threshold, an electron merrily lives on until it reaches the mysterious singularity that our physics currently knows little (or maybe nothing) about. So the space inside a black hole's event horizon can be expected to be about as much populated by matter particles as the space outside it.

You're making very little sense.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Aug 22

@Soothfast
You are surprised?

MB

Moves
10 Aug 22

@suzianne said
You liar!

You just posted, "There is nothing that can escape a black hole so it is a vacuum."

For your information, I have a Bachelor of Science degree. I'm now working on a Master of Science degree. And yes, yes, I understand that the European degrees specify between the Hard Sciences and everything else. My BS (or B.Sc. in Europe) is in Psychology, so is my MS (or ...[text shortened]... Unlike you, I do understand Relativity. Less so Astrophysics, to be sure, but again, more than you.
Great!

Then you can explain how Hawking radiation is created.
Tell me, does it come directly from a black hole or indirectly?

MB

Moves
10 Aug 22

Radiation starts at the outside of the event horizon of a black in the vacuum of space. Where is that radiation coming from? It is not coming from the black hole directly. Gravity is too strong for that, so what is creating the radiation?

If a black hole is evaporating away that implies matter is being converted into energy in the form of Hawking radiation, but how is that happening? It is not coming directly from the black hole.

suzi, I am apparently too stupid to know how that is happening. I need help. Please tell me how that is happening.

Planet Rain

Moves
10 Aug 22
1 edit

@metal-brain said
He seemed to have meant radiation, not temperature.
There is a connection between radiation and temperature beyond the idea that, say, heat (infrared radiation) increases the kinetic energy of atoms and molecules. I'm not really clear on it.

For instance there is the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation that pervades the universe. It is just microwave radiation, but it has a temperature of 2.7 K. Maybe Ponderable can explain.

Doing a 60-second search, there is a relationship between energy E and temperature T expressed by the formula E = σT^4; that is, an object's radiative energy E is proportional to the 4th power of its absolute temperature T (in Kelvins). In this sense, I think, one can assign a "temperature" to radiation.

More down to Earth, there are 2700 K light bulbs that emit a soft, yellowish white light, and 5000 K bulbs that emit a bluish white light. Of course the bulbs are not getting as hot as 5000 K, but the color of the light (which is electromagnetic radiation after all) is associated with a temperature.

I would think it makes more sense to specify the CMB as having a particular wavelength in nanometers, but there must be a reason for identifying it with a temperature. I guess it gives a better sense of the CMB's proximity to absolute zero. Also I guess it isn't simply wavelength that's a factor, but the intensity of the radiation as well. Coming to the end of this paragraph, maybe I've sorted it. Or maybe I'm wrong...

Planet Rain

Moves
10 Aug 22

@metal-brain said
Radiation starts at the outside of the event horizon of a black in the vacuum of space. Where is that radiation coming from? It is not coming from the black hole directly. Gravity is too strong for that, so what is creating the radiation?

If a black hole is evaporating away that implies matter is being converted into energy in the form of Hawking radiation, but how is ...[text shortened]... arently too stupid to know how that is happening. I need help. Please tell me how that is happening.
I assume you're champing at the bit to tell us all about the One True Interpretation of Hawking Radiation as divined by Metal Brain, but you just want to (ineffectually) insult Suzianne one last time before doing so?

MB

Moves
10 Aug 22

@soothfast said
I assume you're champing at the bit to tell us all about the One True Interpretation of Hawking Radiation as divined by Metal Brain, but you just want to (ineffectually) insult Suzianne one last time before doing so?
I am giving her a chance to show how much she knows about this subject. She seems to think she knows more about it than I do, so I am asking her to explain where the radiation is coming from. I don't know. Do you know?

Planet Rain

Moves
10 Aug 22
1 edit

@metal-brain said
I am giving her a chance to show how much she knows about this subject. She seems to think she knows more about it than I do, so I am asking her to explain where the radiation is coming from. I don't know. Do you know?
What's the point? Anyone could look it up.

I can think of one way that mass (or its equivalent energy) may be siphoned away from a black hole that I read about years ago. Something about some of the energy of a black hole being converted into particle-antiparticle pairs that appear out of the vacuum such that they straddle the event horizon, with the particle inside the event horizon falling into the black hole and the particle outside managing to escape. Essentially, I think, quantum uncertainty allows for mass to escape a black hole. Whether this is truly what Hawking radiation is I do not know.

MB

Moves
10 Aug 22

@soothfast said
What's the point? Anyone could look it up.

I can think of one way that mass (or its equivalent energy) may be siphoned away from a black hole that I read about years ago. Something about some of the energy of a black hole being converted into particle-antiparticle pairs that appear out of the vacuum such that they straddle the event horizon, with the particle inside th ...[text shortened]... ows for mass to escape a black hole. Whether this is truly what Hawking radiation is I do not know.
I don't think anyone can look it up, but you are welcome to try.

What you described sounds like the Casimir effect, but those are supposed to pop in and out of existence so you would need to explain that. That also doesn't explain how a black hole can evaporate over time. I doubt it can be proven either. Just a theory as far as I am concerned.