Bad to worse.......

Bad to worse.......

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
21 Jul 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
And I already said that percentages are a statistical whitewash.

The sheer actual number difference is staggering and I do not see why you ignore it. Oh, yeah, you want it to appear that you "won" the argument.
To your way of thinking, which was the more devastating disaster for humanity: the Black Death of 1346–53 or the Spanish Flu of 1919?

rc

Moves
21 Jul 14

The least you could do is square the math.

2520 years - 607 B.C.E. (supposedly the end of the Davidic era) = 1914 A.D.

This pre-supposes that your 607 B.C.E. date is correct, which it is not.

It also pre-supposes that Daniel's interpretation of Nebuchadnezzar's dream of "till seven times pass over him" means 7 years or 2520 days, times 100, equaling 2520 years, is correct.

Explain that, please.
end of the davidic era, what are you havering about?

I have provided the link,

you may want to consider counting from the time that the word went forth to restore and rebuild Jerusalem (in the twentieth year of Artarxes)

and the fact that after a literal 2520 days absolutely nothing happened.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Jul 14

Originally posted by FMF
To your way of thinking, which was the more devastating disaster for humanity: the Black Death of 1346–53 or the Spanish Flu of 1919?
This is not the same thing as the previous question.

Estimates of death from the Black Death are varied, anywhere from 75-200 million, and affected mainly Eurasia, while deaths from the so-called Spanish Flu numbered 50-100 million, although more people got this flu, up to 500 million, it was less deadly even though its affects were felt worldwide.

I'm not a student of history, but it appears to me that the Black Death had more of an impact on humanity, coming as it did in an age of exploration and migration. The Spanish Flu was minimized in its reporting and taking place when it did, near the end of World War I, many people in areas not affected grouped it together with the horrors of war in a general sense. Many have called it "the forgotten pandemic".

But as I said, I'm not a historian.

F

Moves
21 Jul 14

This is not the same thing as the previous question.
I know. It's a question in and of itself. Here's another:

Do you think "percentages are a statistical whitewash"?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Jul 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
you may want to consider counting from the time that the word went forth to restore and rebuild Jerusalem (in the twentieth year of Artarxes)
What in the world are YOU talking about. I gathered my data directly from the jw.org website. God only knows where you got yours.

WHY would "word went forth to restore and rebuild Jerusalem" in 607 B.C.E., when the First Temple period did not end until 586 B.C.E. when Judah and Jerusalem were conquered and the Temple was destroyed by the Babylonians, and Cyrus the Great did not allow the Jews to return home to rebuild their Temple until 538 B.C.E.?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Jul 14

Originally posted by FMF
I know. It's a question in and of itself. Here's another:

Do you think "percentages are a statistical whitewash"?
Of course, and this thread is a great example why.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Jul 14
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
end of the davidic era, what are you havering about?

I have provided the link,

and the fact that after a literal 2520 days absolutely nothing happened.
Are my numbers right (according to you) or not??

They came from *your* corporation's website.

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/bible-teach/1914-a-significant-year-in-bible-prophecy/#?insight[search_id]=777f35cd-fde0-4319-867a-511f3c6d0363&insight[search_result_index]=0

F

Moves
21 Jul 14

Of course, and this thread is a great example why.
An example of why what?

You say "the Black Death had more of an impact on humanity" than the Spanish Flu. Why? Because of percentages?

Let me understand: did you reject the 11% aspect of the 2% v 11% thing earlier?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Jul 14

Originally posted by FMF
An example of why what?

You say "the Black Death had more of an impact on humanity" than the Spanish Flu. Why? Because of percentages?

Let me understand: did you reject the 11% aspect of the 2% v 11% thing earlier?
I haven't researched it, but it was recorded as something like "1 out of 10" or thereabouts. I don't doubt 11%. What I doubt is the whole line of thinking that creates "Oooooooh, 11% is so much more than 2%." In this case, that is wildly incorrect.

And I *told* you my reasoning. And it has even less to do with percentages than you imply.

F

Moves
21 Jul 14

And I *told* you my reasoning. And it has even less to do with percentages than you imply.
I am asking you about your statement "And I already said that percentages are a statistical whitewash."

That statement of yours has "less to do with percentages" than what?

I don't understand what you are saying.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Jul 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I am asking you about your statement "And I already said that percentages are a statistical whitewash."

That statement of yours has "less to do with percentages" than what?

I don't understand what you are saying.
Probably not, because it doesn't promote your ends.

Let's just forget it.

(You might have better luck if you treat our "back and forth" as an actual conversation.)

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
21 Jul 14

Let's just forget it.

(You might have better luck if you treat our "back and forth" as an actual conversation.)
I read the conversation, and also have no idea what you're talking about.

F

Moves
21 Jul 14

Let's just forget it.

I have been trying to to understand what you mean ~ because to me you seem to have contradicted yourself ~ and have therefore asked you about it. One cannot really get a more basic and genuine attempt at conversation than that.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Jul 14

Okay, to the people who pride themselves on their powers of "logic" and yet cannot understand plain English, here it is again.

"The loss of 2% of the world population in 1945 is far worse than the loss of 11% of the world's population in 1220."

"Why don't you research the raw numbers and see for yourself?

Then you can ask yourself if you really think the smaller number is worse."

"And I already said that percentages are a statistical whitewash.

The sheer actual number difference is staggering and I do not see why you ignore it. Oh, yeah, you want it to appear that you "won" the argument."

And finally, "I don't doubt 11%. What I doubt is the whole line of thinking that creates "Oooooooh, 11% is so much more than 2%." In this case, that is wildly incorrect."

Those who rely ONLY on percentages are trying to promote their own agenda, not the truth. That is why, in a lot of conversations, percentages are a statistical whitewash. What is being compared is often apples and oranges.

F

Moves
21 Jul 14

Okay, to the people who pride themselves on their powers of "logic" and yet cannot understand plain English, here it is again.

"The loss of 2% of the world population in 1945 is far worse than the loss of 11% of the world's population in 1220."

"Why don't you research the raw numbers and see for yourself?

Then you can ask yourself if you really thi ...[text shortened]... s, percentages are a statistical whitewash. What is being compared is often apples and oranges.
Does this mean that you perhaps see the Great Flood as not being so bad because 'virtually 100%' of people getting annihilated deliberately is not as bad as it sounds when you hear it in "the raw numbers" and compare it to, say, the 20thC population of the world?